Wife as a hunting partner?

How many of you guys hunt with your wives on backpacking hunting trips? I'm wondering if this is a good idea. I know that my wife would love the senery, but I'm not so sure how she'd hold up to the physical part of it.

so i got the info from the wife, "if she wants to go, AND she likes hiking and the outdoors, you should be ok. if YOU want her to go and shes up for it, give it a try on a short summer trip, if shes not all that interested in carrying everything she needs for days on end up and down mountains and sleeping on the ground, dont take her."

Khaybes

FNG
Yea, I can't keep my wife out of the woods. She always has my six :)

equx36.jpg

Hardest part. is deciding who gets to take the shot lol..

I'm lucky to have a wife that enjoys being in the outdoors, hiking and backpacking. She is not into hunting but puts up with my passion for it and likes eating the animals at mealtime. I personally would enjoy more backpacking trips with my wife. I'll get only one or two backpacking wilderness trips with her a year either fishing or scouting. I'm honestly a bit envious hearing some of you guys that have their wives with them on hunting trips with them. Having good friends along with you just makes for a fun trip in my book. I like the solitude times when I'm gone without her or others for that matter but a few more trips with my wife would be awesome. I think it's great that some of you guys have wives and girlfriends that like to go hunting with you.

Last edited:

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say start it easy and see how it goes. My wife considers the super 8 to be roughing it so I'll never get her to even sleep in a tent in a campground...

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has been my hunting partner for the past 6 years. We go to CO for a DIY backcountry Elk hunt every year. She also is out almost every weekend for Whitettail here in IL. We are very comparable when it comes to ability and stamina in the backcountry, and share a love of just being out in the mountains.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My wife is not a hunter but is a great supporter of my hunting. She comes with me on scouting trips and really enjoys the outdoor part of it all. She's a very physical gal and that part of the hunt appeals to her. I've learned to set the pace as close to hers as possible and we have the most fun.

My wife is not a hunter but is a great supporter of my hunting. She comes with me on scouting trips and really enjoys the outdoor part of it all. She's a very physical gal and that part of the hunt appeals to her. I've learned to set the pace as close to hers as possible and we have the most fun.

This last summer my GF was fighting fire and cruising timber for the forest service... she came on a scouting backpack trip with my hunting partner and I go August. She took lead on the way out and kicked both our butts!! We still hear about it too.... :)

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Wife as hunting partner

Hell no. Two would go in and only one would come out.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Hell no. Two would go in and only one would come out.

That's what my wife thinks also. She would be quite weary as to why I would want to take her along. First thing she would want to know is whether her life insurance is paid up.

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
My wife's been a trooper on several backcountry trips.... enjoy this video of a nice buck she took a few years back.

[video=youtube;Iacaz9eI6Bs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iacaz9eI6Bs[/video]

Shrek

WKR
I'm divorced and her whining about me hunting had a little bit to do with why I kicked her to the curb. If I ever get married again she will start as my hunting partner and then marriage.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm divorced and her whining about me hunting had a little bit to do with why I kicked her to the curb. If I ever get married again she will start as my hunting partner and then marriage.
Harsh. Another thought, find one who's dad hunted all the time (or at least as much as you would like to) she that she is used to a family member hunting all the time. Something to think about.

Shrek

WKR
I don't mean to be harsh. The whining about hunting was just a small part. I lost a really good paying job and sat on the couch about two weeks drinking beer. She came in and said something to the effect of are you ever going to get off your a** and get a job because if not I have other offers...I responded " get your sh*t and go take them up on that offer!" And that was that. They say the grass is always greener over the septic tank. She still calls me to this day trying to get back with me. Never look back for your future.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Daveinjax: That's better than mine: Got home after a couple hunts in BC one year with a 4 and 6 year old at home. Wife remarks that I had been gone 30 days that fall. My response was "who's counting?" Probably not the brightest thing I ever said, but she is still with me. She is the best, not questions asked but will not go hunting with me. We're both okay with that.

Shrek

WKR
I begged mine to go with me. After I kicked her to the curb she wanted to start hunting with me. I have a friend who's wife may like to hunt more than him...as I sip the green hateraid. Lol.

This sounds like it is all lovey dovey. I go hunt just to get a break from mine. If I had to spend 7 days in a row with her in the woods, I might cover her in honey and bacon and hunt bears off of her.....

ha now thats some funny *&^%$ right there lol

crumy

WKR
I take my wife on hunts. Not all but some. About two years ago, my wife wanted to go on a an antelope hunt. I took here and we had a great time. The best part was getting her the opportunity for an animal. She did and then the next year took and my son. I have taken both of them back in bow hunting. Now granted we only go in about 5 miles but it is one of the best experiences that I have had. Do I have to slow down, yes.. Do I care.. No. I wouldn't change a thing. This year I was able to have one of the greatest years hunting that I ever had. First day of rifle season, she shot a 24" spike and on the first Saturday my son shot a 6x6. I guess it is all about what you are wanting. I have shot several cows, but never a bull. But I like to be out side and doing it with my family is a great experience. But at the same time when not looking for them and animal I do go out myelf.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
My first wife didn't hunt and for 14 years didn't allow me to hunt...I divorced her. My second wife didn't hunt or even shoot when I met her, but was open to learning. I took her scouting and hunting at first, got her hunter safety card, and a rifle that fit her. She practiced with it and last year she got her first antelope! Now she wants to go for elk and mule deer! It took awhile, but now I have a great hunting partner!