Wild Hogs

My ranch is in Texas and its covered up in pigs. They are like pests and they will ruin your deer hunt every time. We shoot as many as we can and could never put a dent in their numbers. I've seen as many as 200 at a time in a wheat field. I shot 10 the other night walking to and from my tree stand. They are literally everywhere and its not uncommon for me to have 50+ on game camera on any given day.

I read on another thread about people paying big dollars to shoot them in California and my mind was blown. I've gone on hunts where if you see a pig you shoot it but its never been the primary target. Do people really take trips just to shoot hogs? Seems crazy to me but we are wired a little different down here in Texas.

Here is a big ole' hog on my place. Now this pig I can get excited about!

Hog.jpg

Yup people pay money all the time!! I know my dad did back in the early 2000s. I think it was $250 a pig and if you shot a wet sow it was like $240+$100per tit..
And that is a big o keiler!!
I hunted boar a lot in Germany. He's well over 100kg

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
I drive 3 hours to look for pigs on public land in central CA because I saw one at the spot once while quail hunting and consistently see old sign there. Have yet to harvest one in probably a dozen trips.

I have been exchanging services to hunt a ranch doing all kinds of repair/remodel/building. Yeah, people here spend some bucks for the opportunity to hunt pigs, as public land pig hunting here is tough as nails. For example, I know of a fantastic public land pig hunting spot, except for the fact that it is 15 miles in, to where the pig hunting just starts to get good. I no longer have horses (for years now), so that spot in not exactly a viable option.

mlgc20

WKR
My daughters love to shoot wild hogs. It's a great time. And if the hog hasn't gotten too big, they can be pretty good to eat.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about paying big bucks to hunt them, but certainly bow hunting them you’d sell hunts if that’s what you wanted to do ?

If not ? Have fun and grab a bow and stick ‘em.

Boar hog are tasty. You need a pressure cooker to wipe that rank smell/taste out and you got some great scent free tablefare of pure clean and lean protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sevens

WKR
Do you need some help knocking down some hogs on your land? I have been to Texas a few times hog hunting and they are pretty good eating too.
x2 - let me know where to be and I'll happily shoot the hogs for you and even remove the carcasses. I've got only one hog backstrap left in the freezer, time to shoot some more!

Bulldawg

WKR
My ranch is in Texas and its covered up in pigs. They are like pests and they will ruin your deer hunt every time. We shoot as many as we can and could never put a dent in their numbers. I've seen as many as 200 at a time in a wheat field. I shot 10 the other night walking to and from my tree stand. They are literally everywhere and its not uncommon for me to have 50+ on game camera on any given day.

I read on another thread about people paying big dollars to shoot them in California and my mind was blown. I've gone on hunts where if you see a pig you shoot it but its never been the primary target. Do people really take trips just to shoot hogs? Seems crazy to me but we are wired a little different down here in Texas.

Here is a big ole' hog on my place. Now this pig I can get excited about!

View attachment 227983
I'll be headed down to Texas Thanksgiving weekend, will be looking for a joint to do a little hog hunting while we are down there for December. sounds like you have a few to spare.

Opah

WKR
Question:
Does anyone in Texas harvest any of the pigs ?
Is the Meat bad ?
The one good thing I can see is if all heck breaks loose
and the stores are empty you have plenty of easily harvested meat to smoke. jerky and can.

crich

WKR
Sounds like you could acquire a few extra guns and trigger fingers from here on Rokslide. 🤠🤙 Maybe see if you can get hooked up with one of those helicopter hunt companies an have them bring out some clients to get rid of a bunch at once.

Pigs are a pain in the ass. They ruin pretty much everything they come in contact with.

Question:
Does anyone in Texas harvest any of the pigs ?
Is the Meat bad ?
The one good thing I can see is if all heck breaks loose
and the stores are empty you have plenty of easily harvested meat to smoke. jerky and can.
some people do harvest them, some don't. I am one of the ones that don't, due to what I've seen them eat on (other dead pigs, week old rotting cows, pretty much anything smelly). I do eradicate them off our farm as they are a nuisance, but if you let them lay even the turkey vultures won't eat them. It's just hard for me to eat one. That being said if I trap one and feed it out for several months, I will eat it.

Fitzwho

WKR
Furthest I have driven to shoot pigs is 7 hours, but I didn’t leave the state of Texas. I just happen to have an aunt with a farm covered in pigs.

I eat those hogs, but they just root up fields of grass on that place.

LostArra

WKR
Saturday night looking for deer this one caught an arrow. I also shot his twin. It was sundown and I only took two arrows. Unfortunately another 40 little shoats got a pass
e10148f76453be782eed3c77c77a191b.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I thin out the pigs at my buddy's place over near Coleman. Typically shoot 30+ a year when I am not traveling for work, off a single section of land. Run 300 blkout with thermals and suppressor. They are definitely edible...use kuby's in Dallas to get them processed into sausage. Once my freezer is full I quarter and donate to local fire department. Only reason he does not charge people to come out is property size and neighbors. Too risky to have someone ripping rounds off when you have 6 houses around that section. Especially at night. I have only see two or three a year during daylight hours.