Wolf Crowd Funding??

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
Any idea on the cost of tanning?

I'm in the the traps, just want to know what additional expense would be required if i went in for a pelt...

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Just a suggestion, but snares are a lot cheaper...

RC

Yes they are, but from the photos I have seen of snared animals, a snare looks like it tears up the pelt around the neck a lot more so I wanted to avoid that.

I'm in the the traps, just want to know what additional expense would be required if i went in for a pelt...

Moscow Hide and Fur does wolf pelts for $110.

The pelt buy in has me intrigued, but I'm still unclear how that works. My assumptions are that you have to get enough funding for 12 traps before that becomes an option? Then you will trap 12 wolves before you start to give pelts back to those who buy in - meaning the 13th wolf will go to the first person in line for a pelt? Does that sound right or am I confused? Do we send funds right away or are you waiting for enough commitment from everyone before you ask us all to send the funds?

Great idea, btw. Thanks!

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider

RC

The pelt buy in has me intrigued, but I'm still unclear how that works. My assumptions are that you have to get enough funding for 12 traps before that becomes an option? Then you will trap 12 wolves before you start to give pelts back to those who buy in - meaning the 13th wolf will go to the first person in line for a pelt? Does that sound right or am I confused? Do we send funds right away or are you waiting for enough commitment from everyone before you ask us all to send the funds?

Great idea, btw. Thanks!

I will start sending pelts once I start getting wolves. I will pick a nice one for me to keep, but just looking to start trapping them.
I was starting a list, but I think we will get enough funding for the traps so if anyone wants to start sending funds that would be fine.

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider

RC

Have you ever trapped before? Ever trapped a wolf or coyote?

No I have never trapped, but I have been real close several times on wolves, but no shot opportunity. So I am going to put traps in those areas. I took the trapping class from Jack Whitman, probably the best there is. Look him up. I may take the class again just to make sure I catch everything he said.
Have to start somewhere and wanting to do my part for the future of hunting.

What happens if they end up back on the endangered list before you pay back the people that are buying in for a pelt? Is there a time line to get the pelts to those people? After so many months will you just give money back if you don't get wolves?

It is an investment opportunity in OUR wildlife. Like any investment, there is risk. In the event he doesn't trap any wolves, I doubt he is going to return the money since he already bought the traps.

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
What happens if they end up back on the endangered list before you pay back the people that are buying in for a pelt? Is there a time line to get the pelts to those people? After so many months will you just give money back if you don't get wolves?

I haven't really thought about failure? I don't see them going back on the list here in Idaho, but you never know. I guess if they go back on the list or if I can't trap anything after a couple of seasons, then I could send everyone a trap or figure a way to return the funds. It is just the initial investment is the hurdle. I am still going to spend a significant amount on putting them out, checking them every 72 hours as required and various other tools and prep needed for trapping.
I would greatly appreciate any support investing in traps.
Thanks Micah

tuffcity

WKR

RC

Yes they are, but from the photos I have seen of snared animals, a snare looks like it tears up the pelt around the neck a lot more so I wanted to avoid that.

Not if it's done properly. Quick and efficient and no pelt damage.

Do these look torn up? :)

wolfbeatdown_zps5622ae80.jpg

RC

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Not if it's done properly. Quick and efficient and no pelt damage.

Do these look torn up? :)

wolfbeatdown_zps5622ae80.jpg

RC

NICE!! They do not look torn up at all. Where are you located and can I help you out? Maybe I should get a half dozen traps and a couple dozen snares??

tuffcity

WKR
tri2hunt: those were opening weekend on a line my wife is trapping on in the Yukon. I would suggest you're better off starting with snares around bait stations, crossings and used travel routes. Leg hold is another big notch up in trapping wolves.

RC

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
Then I'm in for a pelt, let me know when it's time to pay.

Moscow Hide and Fur does wolf pelts for $110.

Count me in for a pelt. Check out the Babine trap line thread on Bowsite or contact them. They trap a lot of wolves every year. They run snares as well off of bait stations.

OP
T

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Update:

Sorry I have been busy the last few days.

Update:

Donations:
Shrek $25
Ross $10
Randle $20 and wants to go with me.

Pelt Donation:
William Munny, two pelts
Elkhunter71
Coastalbendbows
Good2eat
Fulldraw1972
Forestryguy-No paypal but willing to do it.

I will send PM's later this week, but Paypal is available for those that want to pay that way.

This is going to be great.

14idaho

FNG
I've trapped for over 40 yrs. and hunted and trapped in unit 6, used to own an outfitting there. I'm in contact with several good trappers in St.Maries. Calder and Avery. Unless you have a snow go and are willing to trap in the snow your chances are slim. One
of the good trappers, the Harpole boys, almost live in the woods and I'd be surprised if they catch 10 a year. I'm trapping near Moyie and it's difficult. I'm not trying to discourage you, just making you aware of the task at hand. Of course I'm 70 yrs. old and everything is hard

505Wapiti

WKR
Is there any legal issues to shipping a pelt to New Mexico? I’d be in for a pelt and just to help you guys thin them.