Wolf experts: Colorado officials should 'urgently' address recent wolf kills of livestock

Vandy321

WKR
Are there any sportsmans groups or ranching organizations that are working to have the re-introduction delayed or overturned? Could the entire bill be scrapped in the legislature as it was based on the premise that wolves were not currently in the state? Now that there is a documented breeding pair with healthy pups, it would se it should be considered.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
Vandy, I have wondered the same.

It seems preposterous to truck in animals that are already present.

Wasn't there another confirmed pack in Moffat county? Where's the press on them? Did they go back to Wyoming? It seems all of the wolf press is on the Jackson pack.

Also, I recently saw a picture claiming to be a wolf in Summit county and several times ears ago I remember one shot in Grand county by a coyote hunter.

Being that our wonderful governor gagged the CPW during the wolf voting crusade, I have to wonder if they're trying to quietly drag their feet. I believe they were supposed to begin "reintroduction" efforts in 2023, so maybe they're gathering data to prove that's unnecessary?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
1994: Feasibility study indicates the state could support up to 1,128 wolves. Colorado State University Human Dimensions in Natural Resources Unit’s poll on wolf reintroduction indicates 71% of Coloradans polled approve of it…..Wow if they believe the state can handle that many wolves without serious damage to game watch out and that percentage of people want them….ouch for Colorado 👎

1909-1915: U.S. Forest Service reports killing 113 adult and pup wolves in Colorado.

This is much better 💯manage them or bad things happen feel bad for those cows live their life fine for decades then all of a sudden packs of wolves start chewing on you and not legal to shoot them….

BuzzH

WKR
Don't forget all the snowflakes that bought into the Disneyland line about how "wolves only kill the old, sick, and weak."

...but they went after three large Angus in one event.
The only thing dumber than a cow is 2 of them. They cant run more than 100 yards without taking a nap and even then they're slow.

I would have to imagine a wolf looks at a cow and see's a big soft-serve ice cream cone every time they encounter one.

SSS won’t work at this point with how much the rancher has been in talks with wildlife officials. Unless that pack leaves his area, he won’t be able to do much. All eyes are on him.

street

WKR
Vandy, I have wondered the same.

It seems preposterous to truck in animals that are already present.

Wasn't there another confirmed pack in Moffat county? Where's the press on them? Did they go back to Wyoming? It seems all of the wolf press is on the Jackson pack.

Also, I recently saw a picture claiming to be a wolf in Summit county and several times ears ago I remember one shot in Grand county by a coyote hunter.

Being that our wonderful governor gagged the CPW during the wolf voting crusade, I have to wonder if they're trying to quietly drag their feet. I believe they were supposed to begin "reintroduction" efforts in 2023, so maybe they're gathering data to prove that's unnecessary?
My neighbor works in the cpw, I'll poke around but I suspect they are dragging their feet on this as much as they can.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I will put my three cents in on this. I am sure the buzz guy might not like me. The wolf reintroduced was not the timberwolve that was here. It is a bigger stronger wolf (a canadian grey). I will say they are incredible predators. Two years ago I helped a friend haul his bull out (he frank). His dad and me showed up about two thirty n the morning after his son sent a text through garmin. That morning I walked down to the spring to fill water bottles. Ten minutes after I got back to camp, The timber below us, where I just came from lit up. It was surreal and incredible. I could here the alpha putting the pups in place.(they had a kill). They are incredible killing machines.

I am going be honest, i dont think the wolves mess with the bachelor bull elk herds (bull elk meet the objectives in the frank) but they do a number on the cow and calf herds. (my friend lets his mules and horses graze all winter on the north side of the salmon, not the frank... the nez perc forest and the wolves do not mess with them... He says do you think you really want to mess with a dozen thousand pound mules in a pack )I see cows uteras's (sorry for the spelling) eaten and left for the eagless, crows, and coyotes. And moose have no chance. They are bigger but more independent.

the frank church is the biggest wilderness in the lower forty eight and there are no moose and the decline happenned when reintroduction came about.

I do hope we get the chance with helicopters.. Might of rambled but wrong wolf wrong environment

The only thing dumber than a cow is 2 of them. They cant run more than 100 yards without taking a nap and even then they're slow.

I would have to imagine a wolf looks at a cow and see's a big soft-serve ice cream cone every time they encounter one.

I'm sure the wolves see cows about as challenging as handing my Labrador a ribeye.

He (my dog) is also guilty of wanting to eat more than he needs.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure the wolves see cows about as challenging as handing my Labrador a ribeye.

He (my dog) is also guilty of wanting to eat more than he needs.
I know this aint popular. the are amazing hunters, and dont belong in idaho. How is that for playing both sides. (and i am for shooting all of them) I love spinning spagehtti without a spoon