Wolf kills dog in CO

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
One of the articles that I read mentioned that killing a wolf in Colorado for any reason other than self defense was a felony punishable by huge fines and or imprisonment. Does self defense extend to your dog or livestock? ...

In Colorado, they are property and you can’t use deadly force to protect property in Colorado. So it doesn’t fall under self defense.

Livestock can be defended if in imminent danger, but I haven’t found specific mention of a wolf. Other predators are listed fairly clearly here https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/DepredatingAnimalRegulationsBrochure.pdf

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
The Commission acknowledged the "cattle dog" killed in todays meeting and mentioned the rancher would be compensated not using sportsman's dollars.

The ironic thing about the whole situation is: The wolves doing these killings, made their way into Colorado naturally... no re-introcuction needed. But yet they are still planning to move forward with the re-introduction efforts.. Seems to me like we need to be focusing our efforts on managing the wolves we already have in CO, rather than wasting a second trying to put more on the ground.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
I dont know CO. law but every state seems to borrow from whatever another state got away with . That said here ,WA. tne threat laws cover person and property in imediate danger . you can kill em on the porch but not runnin through the pasture , wink, wink .

260madman

WKR
Because they give them cute little names and treat them as pet dogs.

The ghettto hyena of wildlife. So cute and cuddly until they aren’t. That woman is off of her rocker. She can come to my area of WI and watch them without a spotting scope. It would be so cool! :rolleyes:

TheGDog

WKR
Good. I hope every time there’s a wolf kill of a domesticated animal it continues to make the news.
Which a little bit of luck maybe the next one will be some hippie’s or hikers yorkiepoo.
Yo... I get what you're saying and all, but don't just blindly hate on little dogs man. If raised by people that know what they're doing, they're cool to have around too. Peace.

Pokoki

FNG
We continue to have this problem in Idaho. I've never see the wolf sign as frequent as I did on my elk hunt last fall.