Wondering if there is any construction contractors on here for a opinion?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone I am looking at a older home to buy and wondering how much of a pain in the butt it would be to extend the garage out wider vs just building a secondary garage? Attached a picture for reference
65dde4753f0eefcffdc65850f4ba4d15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
That’s not a great picture to gauge from. Need to see the other side of the garage. Need to see the end wall to gauge how the trusses are running.

I’m also assuming you are wanting to add on additional bays to left side of pic, and not extending the bay length you currently have?

The most efficient way to add on to a current structure is to continue with size and the way the current trusses are running and add more on new walls. 3 sided building vs 4 of new.

Lastly Consider a few other points:utilities, to new separate garage you want water and sewer, power, mat gas? All will be more than adding onto current because of longer runs and additional infrastructure. Also would a apartment over a new garage pay for the additional cost?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
That’s not a great picture to gauge from. Need to see the other side of the garage. Need to see the end wall to gauge how the trusses are running.

I’m also assuming you are wanting to add on additional bays to left side of pic, and not extending the bay length you currently have?

The most efficient way to add on to a current structure is to continue with size and the way the current trusses are running and add more on new walls. 3 sided building vs 4 of new..

Yes I agree it is not the greatest pic but I am supposed to go view it on Monday and that’s the best available right now, I am hoping the trusses run the proper way to just add another 16-20 feet onto the one side on the left. I would like to keep the bay length the same to keep it looking good from the out side

We have a saying in our office: anything is possible with time and money

Seriously though, not sure how much land it’s on, but that fence looks awful close. Double check what the side setbacks are. May not have enough room

What is on the other side of the fence? What are the setbacks? What does the grading look like?

How will you use the space? Would there be a benefit to having separate spaces?

Budget? Time frame?

All it takes is time and money.

Drenalin

WKR
Extending left shouldn’t be a problem as long as you’re ok on the setback. If you have utility entrances on that side, you’re going to be paying a premium for what should otherwise be relatively cheap space to build.

hobbes

WKR
If you have the address, you just need to look at the satellite photos to know how much land you have on that end of the house. I'd have guessed that privacy fence was close to the setback, but that may not be the case.

There may be more than just setbacks to consider though. The subdivision rules, I'm assuming subdivision, may not allow additions. They may even have rules on number of garage spaces. You may have to be approved by a planning commission or HOA board. Make sure that you ask questions.

def90

WKR
Setbacks, hoa/city planning and zoning, what is behind that fence as well as utility feed location will be the issues. You can see from the pitch of the roof that the trusses already run the way you want them to if you want to add another bay to the left.

It’s been said.

Your only option left to right is to extend with existing line of the roof. If you have the room to do so.

Coming out into the driveway could be accomplished with a shed roof if you back up the main roof far enough from the eave. It will eliminate the A roof above the second garage door. It’s a busy home. That addition would do a lot for the over all looks for the roof but, would be hard to make look as good as it sounds. It’s just look like a house you extended a garage on.

Money will make either possible if you have it or the room past the fence.

Unless you are getting a great deal on the house, find another one. It ain’t going to be cheap. And, there isn’t but so much space to do this.

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
I’d find out where the utilities come into your house, having to move them is $$$
Are you talking about bringing the doors towards the street or moving towards the fence? Is the roof of the garage truss built?

gbflyer

WKR
Your idea of building another garage is the best one. Additions run into places you don’t want to go on old houses. Don’t do it.

CG86

FNG
Probably just easiest to build a secondary structure. Not only for the structural reasons everyone discussed but also so you can keep the project separate from your living space. It will never get done as quick as you want it to. This way you can finish it as your time allows without having a hole in the side of your house.

Always cheaper to build new plain and simple.. "just extending the garage" as you put it would possibly entail adding structural supports while they extend the garage.

Because they'd have to sure up the building structurally it would also be safer to build new and it would make the contractors life easier instead of having to retrofit everything to "fit" The transition between siding and roofing is easy enough to do and not mess with structural integrity of anything

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If that fence to the left if property line that would make any addition in that direction out of question. It looks like that is already a two bay garage, could just be the picture gives it that look. If you are just looking for more space, extending to the front would work but, if it is for parking space that would not work unless you could make it a drive through garage if that were even possible. A plan view of the house and lot would be great.