WTF??????? Does ANYONE make a mattress that doesn't deflate after a day????

ljalberta

WKR
If you're blowing them up with your lungs, the air is initially quite warm and it will make the mattress appear to deflate when the air cools down. Try filling it with a pump in the basement where the initial temperature and the resting temperature are the same. If you're already using a pump ignore this. If there's a hole though, Thermarest is pretty great at warrantying their products.

mntnguide

WKR
I have multiple big agnes pads for different seasons/uses.. and have absolutely zero issues with them deflating using them extensively all summer and fall

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My 6 year old thermarest has never given me a problem.

After initial inflation and the first nights sleep, the material will stretch a little and make the pad feel softer like it leaked out. But it didnt. Just give it another breath or two and you should be good until you pack it up. That's all I have ever need to do on multi night trips

Lawnboi

WKR
Temp may be messing with you. Temperature swings can cause your pad to become soft, or hard:

For example your blowing warm air into your pad, and it cools to freezing in the evening. Usually results in making your pad soft and feel as if it’s lost air.

Other way around take your full pad and check it mid day in your tent in the sun on a warm day, hard and can even pop itself. I always leave my pad with no pressure when leaving the tent for the day.

Or you could just have a hole....

I do the same as you, put a few puffs in the pad before bed, always have to for the most part: my pad is not leaking though. I use a thermarest.

GotDraw?

WKR
Leaks?!

Big Agnes pads had a known issue for quite a while with the "leak-proof" fabric coating on the interior of their pads degrading, which would cause dozens, if not hundreds of micro leaks that were very difficult to detect and impossible to permanently repair. The condition would continue to degrade.

Had an Insulated Air Core BA pad that was leaking, found a dozen leaks in a 3"x 3" area, seam sealed and patched it. Couple weeks later, dozens more micro leaks... Pad was not abuse or abraded. Called BA, they admitted the problem and gave me a reasonable discount on a new Insulated Air Core Ultra, made with "upgraded" material/coating. Pad does not leak, but it is not warm as I hoped or needed.

*GRIPE* Unlike every other pad manufacturer, BA does not provide "R" values for their pads so there is no way to compare BA pads to other manufacturers' pads. The Insulated Air Core Ultra is good to about 28 degrees, after that, forget it (for me anyway). Too much ground convection. Now that I own the pad, I see that BA at some point got around to providing a temp rating for the pad on their website at 32 degrees. I'd say that rating is accurate, but I was under the impression the that the Insulated Air Core "ULTRA" would be a warmer pad when I took them up on the offer to trade in my old pad and buy a discounted new one.

My next pad will be a Thermarest Neo Air X-therm, consistently the top rated cold(er) weather, light weight pad.

JL

Sounds
LJ nailed it.

Its called Charles Law, they figured this out in the 1700's I believe- still true /grin

....easy to look it up.

If you're blowing them up with your lungs, the air is initially quite warm and it will make the mattress appear to deflate when the air cools down. Try filling it with a pump in the basement where the initial temperature and the resting temperature are the same. If you're already using a pump ignore this. If there's a hole though, Thermarest is pretty great at warrantying their products.

This x1000 (except that even with a pump, changes in ambient air temp will make your pad shrink or swell)

jm1607

WKR
I have the Klymit Insulated and Non-Insulated pads.. Not the "ultralights". Forget the model names, Static V?

1st pads I've owned I haven't popped. And they're cheap!

I've easily popped BA and Thermarest pads in the past. Basically anything with thin material like they are using I'm never using again in my life.

ndbuck09

WKR
put your pad under water in your bathtub and hold it still. Youll be able to see air leaking from pin holes. Once you see these, I always take a sharpie, mark the hole with a finger, bring the pad up and dot where the hole is. Then let it dry and then use a dot of fletching glue to seal it. I've had my thermarest neolite since 2011 doing it like this every other year or so.

tlkaetz

WKR
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Large. I love this pad....I am only 5'10", but I use the large because of the extra width. I am a back sleeper and I hate my arms constantly falling off the sides of the regular width pads. Even with the extra length and width the pad only weighs 16oz.

JohnnyR

FNG
Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XTherm and XLite.
We have both. 40+ nights on both with no problems. We always put a tarp section or multi-laminate space blanket underneath to prevent puncturing.

Reality is all the air mattresses will eventually leak. Fullproof method that you can actually get sleep on is to bring a full length Z Lite Sol or similar foam mat/pad, plus a cut section of a second pad to put under your shoulders or hips (depending on how you sleep - side or back). The shorter section also does double duty for long sitting sessions on frozen ground. A real a-- saver in winter weather.

So, I did a little test the other night and blew up a thermarest xtherm and a klymit static v and put them in the basement which is cool but not bad. The klymit held air better but both of them lost air. I always have to blow up both of these when I come back to camp in the evening. They don't go totally flat but it just seems to me they should hold air better. Maybe I'm expecting too much.
But for god sakes man, for the money they charge for the things now a days, one would think they would hold air better.

Randy

I have used the Nemo Astro Insulated Lite 25L with no issues for several seasons. Slept on rocks on the side of hills and all. No leaks, no tears.