WV/Western VA Rokslide Beer Night

Aw man... If only I didn't have young kids. If something happened in Staunton or Harrisonburg I'd be down. But I can't afford an Uber that distance. Let me know if there's an 81 tour that meets another date. hah!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
One week out update: we are still on for the Rally

25 March at 6:30pm, 50/50 Taphouse in Winchester. I’ll give one more update the day-of with any changes, and I’ll PM my cell number to those that have expressed a desire to be there.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Well, I’ll be there…. It sounds like 3-4 other guys might make it, but time will tell. I know exactly zero people out here, so even a couple showing up is a win. I might bring my son with me as well…. He can tell you all about how he is officially the “big buck killer” of the household. I’ve trained him well, in both hunting and trash talking.

I'm still planning on going. I'll start heading up 81 from the 235, can pick up anyone along the way.

Just let me know so I make enough room in the truck.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry folks, probably a bit too far for me anyway but the daughter has a birthday party that needs to be prepared. Have a good time!

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Yep I’m envious it’s about a 2 hr. trek from Southern MD - you all have a good time and I’ll try to catch you on the next one!!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Hey fellas - looking for a little fishing insight. We are on a rental right on the Shenandoah in Front Royal. It’s supposed to be good for smallmouth. Indeed, I’ve seen people catching them in front of the house. I’ve spent hours on the river in the canoe with my kids and not had a single bite. I’ve got spinners, crank baits, jigs, senkos, Yum craw dads - basically everything I’ve seen on YouTube videos. Nothing…. I know trout fishing and I wish I had my fly rod. The bass were hitting a hatch this morning. Can someone give me some pointers of things to try and a good rig for the river? Also, what kind of river features am I looking for - fast/slow, shallow/deep, etc. Where we are at, the river is maybe 100 yards wide, fairly slow, fairly shallow between 3-4 feet except for an area in the middle that is maybe 5-7 feet. Assume I know nothing about bass fishing - because I know nothing. I just want my kids to catch some dang fish, size is irrelevant.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Hey fellas - looking for a little fishing insight. We are on a rental right on the Shenandoah in Front Royal. It’s supposed to be good for smallmouth. Indeed, I’ve seen people catching them in front of the house. I’ve spent hours on the river in the canoe with my kids and not had a single bite. I’ve got spinners, crank baits, jigs, senkos, Yum craw dads - basically everything I’ve seen on YouTube videos. Nothing…. I know trout fishing and I wish I had my fly rod. The bass were hitting a hatch this morning. Can someone give me some pointers of things to try and a good rig for the river? Also, what kind of river features am I looking for - fast/slow, shallow/deep, etc. Where we are at, the river is maybe 100 yards wide, fairly slow, fairly shallow between 3-4 feet except for an area in the middle that is maybe 5-7 feet. Assume I know nothing about bass fishing - because I know nothing. I just want my kids to catch some dang fish, size is irrelevant.
Take what I say with a grain of salt because in general I suck at river small mouth. But the limited success I have had was finding them schooled up in a hole. They ate yum crawdads, and senkos for me (and super flukes) again someone else will probably have much better advice- but hey at least this was free

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Take what I say with a grain of salt because in general I suck at river small mouth. But the limited success I have had was finding them schooled up in a hole. They ate yum crawdads, and senkos for me (and super flukes) again someone else will probably have much better advice- but hey at least this was free
I’ll try it! Thank you.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Been doing a little better with larger crank baits and spinners, and some top water poppers. Still well below average, but at least getting some fish in the boat.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Fellas, I just drew a WY commissioners tag! I don’t have my gear out of storage yet, but I’ll have it by the end of the month. I need a shooting range that steps out to 1k so I can get back into practice. Any suggestions within an hour of Winchester?