Moving from east cost VA to WY

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I wouldn't worry about "upgrading camo", I would upgrade the quality to more technical clothing, it's more about how it performs vs how it looks.

TaperPin

WKR
You’ll enjoy it - I spent a year in Casper and really like the size and location. The dad in me wants to remind you to watch out for black ice and white outs this winter. The wind blows a lot and can be strong at times - learn to accept it and make a pack with your spouse to not let each other complain about it - focus on the cool things you can do. In high wind park the car facing into the wind so it doesn’t jerk the door open. Being a good defensive driver in the wind includes watching out for vehicles sliding or being blown into your lane, not driving next to big rigs or box trucks, and giving A LOT more room to the car in front of you than is common in VA.

This winter, ski if you’re into that, or get snow machines. Lander has a nice groomed trail system on the loop road, with lakes for going fast and hills for climbing.

The community college has a good selection of credit and non credit classes if you want to learn something new. Join the rifle range and shoot clear out to the 1000 yard steel buffalo. Keep in mind everyone hunts so make friends quickly and you’ll feel a lot more at home quicker.

In July go to the snowy range and hike up Medicine Bow Peak - it’s an easy hike and at 12,000’ the view is great. The little lakes below are full of stocker trout and are a perfect place to learn fly fishing - even if you don’t fly fish learn to throw a fly on a casting bubble - elk hair caddis, pmd, black wooly bugger, bead head nymphs, yellow foam ants, etc. Wyoming is one of the last best states for dry fly fishing, so get into it.

Make a trip to the north east corner of Yellowstone and watch grizzlies and wolves munching on buffalo. Get in a fb group that shares locations of dead buffalo/elk and you’ll find bears and wolves there.

Always carry a fishing pole in the summer - those little 3’ wide creeks in the middle of nowhere can have some good fishing.

Get stocked up on 22 and 223 ammo and learn how to politely talk to ranchers about shooting prairie dogs on their land, as well as places on public land.

Wyoming is full of public land - the local BLM office has a great map of the state showing all the public and private land - pin that on the wall.

Mainly, get involved in groups that do what you enjoy and make friends with the locals - you’ll have 10x the opportunities compared with sticking to yourselves.

7mm-08

WKR
You’ll enjoy it - I spent a year in Casper and really like the size and location. The dad in me wants to remind you to watch out for black ice and white outs this winter. The wind blows a lot and can be strong at times - learn to accept it and make a pack with your spouse to not let each other complain about it - focus on the cool things you can do. In high wind park the car facing into the wind so it doesn’t jerk the door open. Being a good defensive driver in the wind includes watching out for vehicles sliding or being blown into your lane, not driving next to big rigs or box trucks, and giving A LOT more room to the car in front of you than is common in VA.

This winter, ski if you’re into that, or get snow machines. Lander has a nice groomed trail system on the loop road, with lakes for going fast and hills for climbing.

The community college has a good selection of credit and non credit classes if you want to learn something new. Join the rifle range and shoot clear out to the 1000 yard steel buffalo. Keep in mind everyone hunts so make friends quickly and you’ll feel a lot more at home quicker.

In July go to the snowy range and hike up Medicine Bow Peak - it’s an easy hike and at 12,000’ the view is great. The little lakes below are full of stocker trout and are a perfect place to learn fly fishing - even if you don’t fly fish learn to throw a fly on a casting bubble - elk hair caddis, pmd, black wooly bugger, bead head nymphs, yellow foam ants, etc. Wyoming is one of the last best states for dry fly fishing, so get into it.

Make a trip to the north east corner of Yellowstone and watch grizzlies and wolves munching on buffalo. Get in a fb group that shares locations of dead buffalo/elk and you’ll find bears and wolves there.

Always carry a fishing pole in the summer - those little 3’ wide creeks in the middle of nowhere can have some good fishing.

Get stocked up on 22 and 223 ammo and learn how to politely talk to ranchers about shooting prairie dogs on their land, as well as places on public land.

Wyoming is full of public land - the local BLM office has a great map of the state showing all the public and private land - pin that on the wall.

Mainly, get involved in groups that do what you enjoy and make friends with the locals - you’ll have 10x the opportunities compared with sticking to yourselves.
Darned generous advice for a new (to be) Wyoming resident. Nice gesture, for sure.

The old adage here is "Wyoming is a small town with a very long main street". By Wyoming standards, Casper at population 55,000 ish is the "big city". I mean it has a mall and stuff. The wind in Casper can be absolutely brutal. Be prepared. It's centrally located with good access to fine hunting and fishing. I highly recommend finding a home on the south side of town. Enjoy.

Wyo is pretty great as a resident have friends there and others who have left there. I pondered a job there last year aswell. Casper is a windy bugger but I’ve also seen some beautiful days there. Some excellent hunters and hunting around there. I agree with buying good technical gear not camo, just buy earth tones. Don’t overlook the little public spots or be afraid to hike a ways off the road.

Have fun!

wytx

WKR
You should hit the state right in the midst of Winter, welcome to Wyoming.
Hardly ever hear that Casper is windier than Laramie, lol.

Safe travels while moving, it could be dicey and look into the W-Tap authorized travel program for when roads are closed.

dogcat

FNG
I moved from TX to WY several years ago. It will be a big change from VA. Lots of open space and lots of wind in Casper. Great fishing on the Platte. Great hunting - mostly antelope and mule deer. Elk hunting is a challenge due to the pressure, getting your tag in the area you want. Casper is a nice place, cold in winter but really nice people.
I suggest you spend your first year getting the lay of the land and then decide where to spend your hunt dollars. Camo is fine but not really needed in most areas.

manitou1

WKR
Yeah, we vacationed here for over twenty years.... summers.
I would do non-res hunts here in WY too, in October.

We moved to WY in early 2023. I can say I always thought I was a tough booger and always challenged myself in the outdoors. The wind here can be maddening during winters... really. You better be able to entertain yourself for months during the winters. Not trying to be a downer, just friendly advice.

I found that the hunting here is way more crowded and competitive than back in Missouri where we came from. I actually travel back East to deer hunt just to get away from the zoo here and experience the solitude of hunting as it used to be.

All this being said, WY people are great, the mountains are beautiful and the air is fresh... and low in humidity, lol.

Best wishes for ya!

Brooks

WKR
I love to hunt but after working for 4 years in Wyoming there is no way I was spending another winter up there. I saw 14 semi trucks laying on their side along i80 up on elk mountain from the wind. One year we were elk hunting archery and the biggest dang snow storm hit in mid September. When the snow gets too deep they shut the interstate down. Keep your gas tank full and food and water with you. I couldn’t get back to the land of enchanted fast enough. Good luck hope you enjoy it.

wyosteve

WKR
I've live in Wy. for 43 years now, and just yesterday got back from a N.M. hunt. Have to say, N.M. is appealing!

tdhanses

WKR
5 weeks and counting, beginning to really look forward to this. Wife is as well
It will be what you make of it, so make the best of it and you’ll love WY. You’ll have some amazing outdoor opportunities as a resident.

tdhanses

WKR
I love to hunt but after working for 4 years in Wyoming there is no way I was spending another winter up there. I saw 14 semi trucks laying on their side along i80 up on elk mountain from the wind. One year we were elk hunting archery and the biggest dang snow storm hit in mid September. When the snow gets too deep they shut the interstate down. Keep your gas tank full and food and water with you. I couldn’t get back to the land of enchanted fast enough. Good luck hope you enjoy it.
Haha, that’s just normal winter advice.

CorbLand

WKR
If they say no travel advised they aren't kidding.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
That is one thing I will give Wyoming. If they say to stay off the roads, they mean it.

manitou1

WKR
That is one thing I will give Wyoming. If they say to stay off the roads, they mean it.
Yes... true.
It doesn't have to be deep snow either. They don't use road salt here (thankfully) and do little to the roads when snowing. Wouldn't do much good with 45-65mph winds.
That being said, the snow packs down to a nice glaze on the roads. Throw in a 60 mph wind and you find youself switching lanes on the highway without turning the steering wheel... which is something to be experienced! 🥴

. Anyone else have any advice? I won't be hunting this year due to the fees and price that things cost for non residents but I'll be hunting next year.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
That is absolutely a waste of time! You must start hunting asap! will only increase your odds down the road.

I figure it takes at least 3 years to learn new areas, especially totally new terrain and style of hunting.

Wyoming is great in that they offer reduced price Cow/Doe antlerless tags to Non-residents. A great way to get out and learn new country

If you can’t afford $40 to hunt where you live then you took the wrong job 😂

Start planning your hunting season!

wytx

WKR
With authorized travel, W-TAP, sometimes when the roads are closed it is safer to be on them, no trucks.
Travelled home many times on closed roads, take it slow.

I agree on getting some reduced price licenses and getting to know some areas, fishing can also help with that.
We have plenty of predators that need taken as well.