Moving from east cost VA to WY

Vail26

FNG
Yep,

You read that right. Got a new job, moving to the great mountain west. I'm an avid hunter but obviously it's very different out west then on the east coast. I know I'll have to get a heftier pack, upgrade my camo, upgrade the optic on my rifle for longer shots... Anyone else have any advice? I won't be hunting this year due to the fees and price that things cost for non residents but I'll be hunting next year.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Lots of great opportunities there. Figuring out game units can be a bit of a hassle. It was opener for mule deer, but cow elk was open and my wife had tags for both. But the units are done by species not area. Wife shot an awesome mule deer. The cow elk in the same area were in a different unit. Crazy. I much prefer the Alaska way.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
As soon as you get to your new home, start exploring. I've lived in 3 distinct parts of Wyoming. In each place, I'd talk with people and get some ideas of general areas to go, but by checking out maps of public land and getting boots on the ground, I have found awesome spots in all 3 places that were very successful for me for harvesting elk and deer. No matter where you land in the state, there's great hunting somewhere close by. And you don't always have to go several miles in to get into animals. Look for overlooked areas that are closer to roads that aren't vehicle accessible and don't have established trails through them.

OP
V

Vail26

FNG
Wyoming is a big state. What part?
Casper. The job is there so that's where we'll be for a bit till we buy a house. Looking to be about 30 minutes outside there for a home.

OP
V

Vail26

FNG
Need a full year of residency to get resident tags better get that done asap. Also what part? And as always please don’t try and change it to where you’re escaping from.
Moving there partly due to what where I live now is becoming. Won't be looking to change a thing about it.

JFK

WKR
Casper and surrounding areas are nice. A lot to do, and the people I met while there a couple years ago were solid. It’s definitely a big city for Wyoming but not really that big. Fishing out that way is very good. No advice since I don’t live there, but good luck on your move.

Mt Al

WKR
Great place to move to! Congrats and as you know, night and day from VA.

Get ready for some wind, then wind and it's often windy, blustery, gale-force-craziness.

So much public land in Wyoming you can hunt predators in the off season, good fishing, outdoorsman's paradise.

Mostly a dry cold, not a ton of rain. You'll figure it out, but strongly recommend wind-proof pants and shell jacket, long range rifle and upland bird gun. Camo doesn't matter all that much.

Hope you enjoy the move.

ole17

FNG
If you can swing it get a small game license and chase some dusky grouse around the mountains this fall. Getting to know the roads, access, and terrain will help you prepare for big game opportunities.

manitou1

WKR
Yeah, you have to be a resident for a year before you can even APPLY. This means you will not be able to apply as a res this coming spring, but will have to wait until spring of 2025.
Been there, done that.

Welcome to wonderful, windy Wyoming!😁

wytx

WKR
Moved to Wyoming 3 days after getting married, been at it for 35 years now, don't believe everything you read Vail. Welcome to Wyoming.

Head down to Laramie for a game if possible, we have a nice little town here too.

OP
V

Vail26

FNG
5 weeks and counting, beginning to really look forward to this. Wife is as well