Wyo Special Apps are down in #’s

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
No matter what, is way easier to make more money than it is to buy more time.

I’d rather find a way to make more money to go hunting, than sit in the points line and hunt once every 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My sentiments exactly. Price is an indicator of how valuable something is. I wish they would just hold a Dutch auction for all the tags and sell them to the people willing to pay the most. You have the rest of the year to work a bit more and earn the money it requires. It is all about what you value.

Trial153

WKR
In the big picture as compared to other states I would not consider a general license run of the mill if you have a little experience there. You can’t expect to get the most out of a license if you go into an area basically blind. But even if you do in, you are a decent elk hunter you should have as good or better elk hunting than anywhere. My first Hunt in the Wyoming general area was interesting. It was a rifle hunt. October 15. Bull bugling everywhere and killed a six point within 30 minutes of sunrise. Never saw the area before. Yes that was a fluke. But I have killed elk in the same area for 10 years in a row since then.

Thanks, I have some experience with bow hunting elk in Wy and several other states and provinces. I don’t consider 2k for a general tag a good value compared to my other options.

Trial153

WKR
No matter what, is way easier to make more money than it is to buy more time.

I’d rather find a way to make more money to go hunting, than sit in the points line and hunt once every 8 years.

Why assume someone is sitting around waiting, most likely they are just by hunting someplace else in the meantime. Seems like a silly assumption

Thanks, I have some experience with bow hunting elk in Wy and several other states and provinces. I don’t consider 2k for a general tag a good value compared to my other options.
The way I see it the license cost is $700 and you can pay an additional $1300 for better draw odds. That does suck compared to $1300. Which is why I am in the regular drawer this time around.

The way I see it the license cost is $700 and you can pay an additional $1300 for better draw odds. That does suck compared to $1300. Which is why I am in the regular drawer this time around.

Trial153

WKR

That’s if you get better odds, I can see it shifting back and forth. To each their own. Personally I have better options, cheaper options no not necessarily but what I perceive as better value for my money.

They need to figure out how to put everyone in order, like do the draw, establish the order of the line, then go down the line awarding tags to people. Award the first 60% of the NR tags to the first folks in line and charge them the regular rate, then keep going down the line only awarding tags to the NR's that elected for special pricing. So you're guaranteed to have better odds at the special pricing.

Folks that elected for special pricing but drew up front in the regular area get refunded the difference.

sasquatch

WKR
Why assume someone is sitting around waiting, most likely they are just by hunting someplace else in the meantime. Seems like a silly assumption

You’re missing my point

The POINT is we could make tags free, “which sounds GREAT”. However, we will have to sit on the sidelines waiting to draw 3 times in our lives

You cannot have, easy accessible tags and unlimited quantity at the same time, especially if you want to add in any sort of quality to it.

The free or cheap side, will remove opportunity where ass the price side at least allows us the OPPORTUNITY to just go make more so we can go hunt. The cheap side will force us to stand in line forever

The resource is limited. We are not talking rabbits here.

ndbuck09

WKR
Or they could just make the draw random, everyone is in 1 time for their draw unit they choose. Seems like it removes a lot of BS by just you know, keeping it simple. Could even split the diff between these two entry pathways so that they made the same amount of money. It's just stupid to have all of these mickey mouse price is right style draw systems out there.

sasquatch

WKR
Or they could just make the draw random, everyone is in 1 time for their draw unit they choose. Seems like it removes a lot of BS by just you know, keeping it simple. Could even split the diff between these two entry pathways so that they made the same amount of money. It's just stupid to have all of these mickey mouse price is right style draw systems out there.

They could, and then we can all stand in the same “equal” line

I personally, would take the route where I personally have more control on getting a tag by just making more money somehow .

I did agree for draws a random is better than points due to no creep though.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
The pricing for tags should be in line with the costs to maintain the resource. No more, no less.

For NR tags the price should be set by the market demand like everything else. For resident tags the price should be set to a minimum amount offset by whatever they can get from the NRs. NR tags are a luxury! If you want a cheap elk tag in WY or any other state then move there like I did. It really is that simple.

sasquatch

WKR
The pricing for tags should be in line with the costs to maintain the resource. No more, no less.

Then you have to define what it means to “maintain the resource”

You could easily fall victim yo someone’s bad opinion of what that means. You can always manage something better “more money” or worse “less money”

sasquatch

WKR
For the ones hating on the special price yada yada

You have the option to still hunt Colorado OTC. So why the complaining?

Seems y’all are complaining about not being able to hunt Wyoming cheaply/easily

Which is the EXACT reason the hunting is better, and why you all are wanting to go there.

This is a prime example of how you can’t have it both ways. There’s a reason you all are not excited about your OTC option

Trial153

WKR
For the ones hating on the special price yada yada

You have the option to still hunt Colorado OTC. So why the complaining?

Seems y’all are complaining about not being able to hunt Wyoming cheaply/easily

Which is the EXACT reason the hunting is better, and why you all are wanting to go there.

This is a prime example of how you can’t have it both ways. There’s a reason you all are not excited about your OTC option

I haven’t had an OTC except when I hunted private in CO.
I don’t even know what you’re ranting about at this point.

If I am going to shell out 2k for a tag, and most years it’s quite a bit more that that. It’s getting me on ground that way better the most general unit, or at least it has limited access for the opportunity’s at high quality experience.

But keep ranting and raving

sasquatch

WKR
I haven’t had an OTC except when I hunted private in CO.
I don’t even know what you’re ranting about at this point.

If I am going to shell out 2k for a tag, and most years it’s quite a bit more that that. It’s getting me on ground that way better the most general unit, or at least it has limited access for the opportunity’s at high quality experience.

But keep ranting and raving

And you have that option. Take your money where you best see fit.

And rant? There is no rant, it’s simply pointing out that we have no reason to hate on Wyoming and the way they manage their tags. If it was cheap, it wouldn’t be good or very common to draw.

The same people who hate the price, most times, also hate the fact it takes 6,8,10 points (years) to draw

Now the special tags really are special compared to the regular priced ones. The antelope prices are so ridiculous IMO.
Not bitching but I'm genuinely curious to see the application numbers for 2024.