Wyoming Corner Crossing Jury Trial Live Stream

BuzzH

WKR
dude- you're complaining about reading comprehension? read my post (carefully) again

no mention of successful prosecution in my post, I said this wasn't the first prosecution in Wyoming
Ok, what does this mean?

"this isn't the first criminal case in Wyoming regarding corner crossing"

To the best of my knowledge, it was absolutely the first time corner crossing was attempted to be prosecuted under criminal trespass.

You know of another case, dude?

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Most municipalities, counties have building setbacks anyway, so it's not like the landowner could build on each of the corners, so they're not really losing anything and it is just as an earlier poster mentiond the "trespass" is literally the same as waving your arms onto private land as you walk down the sidewalk.

I'm curious on the civil case, what exactly are his damages other than his own lawyers who he hired? I guess he did lose the $ for the right to use public land for his own enrichment/purposes. Depending on their circumstances for the civil case they could just not even fight it and they'd get a default judgment against them and just not pay it. Course they'd need to get everything out of their name and probably declare bankrupcy, which does cause some pain for a few years.
Good post....but I don't think setbacks have any relevance...but this does:

Did you hear Grende testify that the chains and lock had been removed from the T-posts at the corner about a month ago?

Why remove them if its perfectly legal to keep the public off public lands I wonder?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, what does this mean?

"this isn't the first criminal case in Wyoming regarding corner crossing"

To the best of my knowledge, it was absolutely the first time corner crossing was attempted to be prosecuted under criminal trespass.

You know of another case?

Kearny 2004

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said this wasn't the first case of corner hopping in Wyoming, it wasn't

you want to get into pissing match about this?

BuzzH

WKR
I said this wasn't the first case of corner hopping in Wyoming, it wasn't

you want to get into pissing match about this?
What's relevant is that until Mayfield stacked charges during the trial, the attempt was to prosecute the Missouri4 under criminal trespass for corner crossing. Which absolutely had never been attempted in Wyoming for corner crossing.

Not important? I believe it is.

In particular since Terry Cleveland sent a memo instructing Wardens to not cite under title 23 per Cranks AG opinion. I also know of a ticket that was ripped up by Scott Talbott when a misinformed warden scratched a title 23 ticket near Sweetwater rocks a few years back for corner crossing.

The importance of this latest case is about the criminal trespass...trespass to hunt in corner crossing cases isn't cited by Wardens, and hasn't been for about 15 years.

sasquatch

WKR

Because it’s obvious these people who make big deals out of “wa wa that my little corner” are purposely trying to lock up a bunch of public land for their self benefit.

Do you cry if someone turns around in your drive way, do you call the police if someone or kid steps on your front lawn to retrieve a football that fell there? I mean cmon, maybe you are that person but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Because it’s obvious these people who make big deals out of “wa wa that my little corner” are purposely trying to lock up a bunch of public land for their self benefit.

Do you cry if someone turns around in your drive way, do you call the police if someone or kid steps on your front lawn to retrieve a football that fell there? I mean cmon, maybe you are that person but I doubt it.

I am glad I asked as it came across the other way. I must have just mis-read it.

Lose of property rights...and there is none when a person steps from once piece of public land to another piece of public land over a shared corner of the SEVERAL owners.

Common sense...101.

So no loss of rights when someone occupies space. Got it. Common sense 101, thanks for the education.

It's going to matter, even if you don't yet see the point.

You don't when it happens a few times.

What do you do when Google thinks your driveway is a public road to send people down? This is actually exactly what I deal with. I have a neighboring farm that does a tourist attraction. Some sort of GPS device sends them thru my place all the time. I'll come down my private driveway to find people setting up a photo shoot in my fields, surrounded by my livestock. It honestly doesn't even bother me that much, I ask them if they know where they are, they tell me they are on M×××××××××× farm. I politely tell them, no you aren't. You feel free to do what you want, but don't sue me when that guard dog over there, in the field you let yourself into, comes over here and bites you or your child.

BuzzH

WKR
You don't when it happens a few times.

What do you do when Google thinks your driveway is a public road to send people down? This is actually exactly what I deal with. I have a neighboring farm that does a tourist attraction. Some sort of GPS device sends them thru my place all the time. I'll come down my private driveway to find people setting up a photo shoot in my fields, surrounded by my livestock. It honestly doesn't even bother me that much, I ask them if they know where they are, they tell me they are on M×××××××××× farm. I politely tell them, no you aren't. You feel free to do what you want, but don't sue me when that guard dog over there, in the field you let yourself into, comes over here and bites you or your child.
Has, precisely and absolutely not a single thing to do with stepping from my one piece of public to another piece of public land.

Cool story though.

Has, precisely and absolutely not a single thing to do with stepping from my one piece of public to another piece of public land.

Cool story though.

You taking your own surveyor out there? Or just listening to modern tech?

Seems relevant since you need to cross exactly at that tiny little spot.

You think you need a surveyor to find a corner?

Laffin'...

I don't when it's pinned, assuming I can see the pin from distance.

If I want to actually cross at the corner, and only be in airspace, I need to be what, within 2 foot? 2 foot on 2 legs of a right triangle gives about a stride (2.8' I believe)

That correct?

Your tech that accurate?

BuzzH

WKR
I don't when it's pinned, assuming I can see the pin from distance.

If I want to actually cross at the corner, and only be in airspace, I need to be what, within 2 foot? 2 foot on 2 legs of a right triangle gives about a stride (2.8' I believe)

That correct?

Your tech that accurate?
Well, in fairness not everybody can read sign...or knows how to use a GPS. Hear the same crap over and over about how "inaccurate" GPS's are. Plugged in a random corner while out chasing pronghorn last fall, and (not) much to my surprise walked right to it. GPS said I was still 3 feet away at 134 degrees (which, if I zero'd out the coords, would have been about 10 inches right of the pin).

IMG_20211027_144853713.jpg

As to unpinned corners, not that common, but I don't use maps and GPS's but 160+ days a year at work, so what would I know?

Even if a corner isn't pinned (rarely)...how would a landowner go about proving beyond a reasonable doubt you DIDN'T cross at the corner if you had your GPS track on?

I think important corners that don't exist (rarely), Sportsmen's groups could come up with $$$ to have them surveyed in...just sayin'.