Wyoming Elk, Helicopter Access

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
I believe I can draw a leftover tag in a few places in Wy and have a pretty good change of success but the access is terrible to impossible. I was wondering if I could charter a helicopter? What would it cost? Is it legal? Is there a company that does this?

LaHunter

WKR
WY passed a law a few years ago making it illegal to use any type of aircraft for locating game within certain dates, if I recall correctly. Even though your intended purpose may not be locating game technically, it could be an issue possibly.
If I were considering this route, I would contact WY G&F law enforcement and discuss with them and get their view on the plan.
Another thing you may want to consider, what type of response will you get from the private land owners adjacent to this land locked piece of public land? I know its public, but you could end up having a bad hunt / confrontation depending on how the people on the adjacent private land respond.

I saw that video too. Looked like a lot of fun if someone else was paying the bills.
I don't know WY licensing, but my first impression is that helicopter hourly rates are high enough and cargo capacities are low enough that its probably cheaper to pay for private land access. Fixed wing is less expensive, and some of those guys land on the most absurd double tracks, but you'll still have to balance the tradeoffs between weight limits, accessibility, and cost.
Do it and let us know how it goes!

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
WY passed a law a few years ago making it illegal to use any type of aircraft for locating game within certain dates, if I recall correctly. Even though your intended purpose may not be locating game technically, it could be an issue possibly.
If I were considering this route, I would contact WY G&F law enforcement and discuss with them and get their view on the plan.
Another thing you may want to consider, what type of response will you get from the private land owners adjacent to this land locked piece of public land? I know its public, but you could end up having a bad hunt / confrontation depending on how the people on the adjacent private land respond.
I read something else about private landowner objections. I must be missing something here. Arent these land locked areas our land also???

TheCougar

WKR
Private land owners don’t have a legal leg to stand on. The BLM has an aviation manager that I asked specific questions of. Basically, as long as you fly over private property above the level of the highest building, you are good. This shouldn’t be an issue in a plane or helicopter. Landing on NF land is different. State and BLM should be good to go. No joke though, I would call and let the game warden an local LE know, because you’re pretty much guaranteed to get harassed. Better to give LE some notice and make sure they know that you are aware of your rights.

wapitibob

WKR
The new aircraft law is a non issue. It cost Newberg $700, probably 1000 today. First thing I’d do is make sure there will be animals there. Last year a cpl used their helicopter to access elk mt and were skunked.

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
Why does this crap gotta be so hard?

It looks so easy on Faketube

jmez

WKR
Private land owners don’t have a legal leg to stand on. The BLM has an aviation manager that I asked specific questions of. Basically, as long as you fly over private property above the level of the highest building, you are good. This shouldn’t be an issue in a plane or helicopter. Landing on NF land is different. State and BLM should be good to go. No joke though, I would call and let the game warden an local LE know, because you’re pretty much guaranteed to get harassed. Better to give LE some notice and make sure they know that you are aware of your rights.
NF shouldn't matter. You don't have to land a Helio. Keep it right off ground and hop out.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Basically, as long as you fly over private property above the level of the highest building, you are good. This shouldn’t be an issue in a plane or helicopter. Landing on NF land is different.

might want to fly a bit higher than the highest building. FAA still has something to say about what you do and how you do it in an aircraft.

TheCougar

WKR
NF shouldn't matter. You don't have to land a Helio. Keep it right off ground and hop out.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
I’m not confident that’s correct. I seem to recall reading that landing a plane on NF needed to be on approved airstrips. Could be wrong though.

TheCougar

WKR
might want to fly a bit higher than the highest building. FAA still has something to say about what you do and how you do it in an aircraft.
Not recommending it. However, I’m a professional pilot and the rules are:

- can’t fly an aircraft lower than an altitude at which you can lose an engine and make an emergency landing without “undue hazard to persons or property”. With a bush plane over the prairie, this is pretty much any altitude.
- over uncongested areas, no lower than 500 above the surface EXCEPT over sparsely populated areas (aka - Wyoming). In that case, no closer than 500 feet from persons or structures. For the record, 500 feet is really close, and is a direct line and not an overflight. So I can fly 50 feet above the ground, 500 lateral feet away from you, and be legal.

Sled

WKR

- can’t fly an aircraft lower than an altitude at which you can lose an engine and make an emergency landing without “undue hazard to persons or property”. With a bush plane over the prairie, this is pretty much any altitude.
- over uncongested areas, no lower than 500 above the surface EXCEPT over sparsely populated areas (aka - Wyoming). In that case, no closer than 500 feet from persons or structures. For the record, 500 feet is really close, and is a direct line and not an overflight. So I can fly 50 feet above the ground, 500 lateral feet away from you, and be legal.

We had a pilot fired this year for not adhering to those rules. I see a fair number of Maverick pilots in the mountains...fixed and rotor.

To the OP, do some research. I'm sure where there's a will there's a way. Might take some training but longline could be an option if landing is not. Stay out of the wilderness and stay away from the nesting raptors. Any local operation should be able to answer some questions for you.

ncavi8tor

WKR

Straight out of FAR Part 91!

Professional pilot here as well.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If you are thinking about Elk Mountain it would be very difficult. First, the closest helicopter would likely be in Fort Collins, CO or perhaps Casper, WY and add to the expense of the charter. You would also require a turbine powered helicopter as no piston powered helicopter has the performance to operate and take off at 10,000 feet. It also would be very sporty as the thermals, updrafts and mountain wave around Elk Mountain. If your a DIY pilot a powered parachute would get you into some landlocked parcels but not above about 8500-9000 feet. You also need a BLM or Forest Service road to land on as they don’t allow Motor vehicles off designated roads but any established two track would work. In the end I think you will find there are far easier ways to harvest an elk on public land if you’re willing to get back away from the crowds.

GoBig

FNG
Another thing to be aware of is that if you are paying someone to fly you into and dropping you off on federal lands then they will probably need a special use permit issued by FS or BLM since they are providing a service that involves use of public land. Making money off of it. I believe this is how it works.