Wyoming Elk with 3 points?

What do you think the odds will be with special draw and 3 points for the general this year? It was 100% last year but the point creep with general tags has been terrible in Wyoming. Buying points basically just keeps your odds constant year after year almost.

Probably going to put in for MT again as well, but that’s more of a long shot. I’d like to have a solid backup and to be honest I’d like to see some new country, I’ve hunted MT my last two hunts. Love it, plan on going back as much as possible, but lots of cool country elsewhere I’d like for explore.

Filled my tag with a cow last year and would love to put a legal bull down this time. Seems like WY general is as good a tag as any to do that from what I gather. I’d rather not pay for the special, but the odds seem pretty low with point creep under the regular draw and 3 points. F’it, you will run out of time and health before you run out of money!

Love to hear from folks who are really into the arithmetic of this stuff.

jlivgren

FNG
I think I’ll be dumping 5 in regular. I’m guessing the line will be around 3.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
I have two MT points but i dont want to hunt MT till 2023. What is an area in MT that is guaranteed NOT to draw with two points? LOL. I dont want to lose my points if i dont apply.

fatlander

WKR
I have two MT points but i dont want to hunt MT till 2023. What is an area in MT that is guaranteed NOT to draw with two points? LOL. I dont want to lose my points if i dont apply.

I’m pretty positive you’re going to lose your MT points.

You have to draw a general to be entered in the other limited entry drawings. If you don’t draw the limited entry you can forfeit your general tag but you lose the points.

If you don’t apply, you’re going to lose your points per the code because you can’t go more than two consecutive years without applying.

KHNC

WKR
I’m pretty positive you’re going to lose your MT points.

You have to draw a general to be entered in the other limited entry drawings. If you don’t draw the limited entry you can forfeit your general tag but you lose the points.

If you don’t apply, you’re going to lose your points per the code because you can’t go more than two consecutive years without applying.

If thats the case, then how in the world would anyone ever need more than 2 points for anywhere in the state? I didnt think points were lost if Gen tag is forfeited.

fatlander

WKR
If thats the case, then how in the world would anyone ever need more than 2 points for anywhere in the state? I didnt think points were lost if Gen tag is forfeited.

There’s two different types of points.

Preference for nonresident general, preference points will zero if you don’t apply in consecutive years. Or if you forfeit the general, you’ll also lose those preference points.

Bonus for limited entry, you can keep accruing bonus points year after year.

KHNC

WKR
Because there are two sets of points in Montana, bonus and preference.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
additional info about bonus points:
  • Bonus points essentially offer you additional drawing chances and are used for the first hunting district choice only.
  • Existing bonus points will be mathematically “squared” prior to the drawing. That means if you already have 3 “base” bonus points those will be “squared” and you’ll then have 9 bonus points going into the drawing.
  • If you wish to participate in the Bonus Point program for licenses/ permits, at the time of your application, you must check “YES” on the Bonus Point questions and include the $20 (nonresident) or $2 (resident) Bonus Point fee per permit type. Then if you’re unsuccessful, you’ll be awarded an additional base bonus point for next year’s drawing.
  • If you did not apply for a license or permit you can purchase a bonus point for that license or permit from July 1st through September 30th. The fee to purchase a bonus point without applying is $15 per species for residents and the nonresident fees are $25 per species except for Moose, Sheep, and Goat which are $75 per species. Note: You cannot apply and purchase bonus points in the same year.
  • Any bonus points accumulated will not be lost unless the individual draws their first choice on the species they applied their bonus points.

I will need to check an see what type of points i have. Pretty sure they are "preference " and not bonus.

fatlander

WKR
I will need to check an see what type of points i have. Pretty sure they are "preference " and not bonus.

If they’re preference points, you’re going to lose them if you don’t apply this year.