Wyoming GMU 41 between Shell Creek and Trapper Creek and Greybull

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy got a rifle tag for end of September in this area. I am helping driving him out and back and will hang with him during the hunt. Its actually for a ranch between these creeks. Looking on the maps, a lot of the area looks arid compared to what I have experienced elk hunting but that should be good for glassing. My understanding is that you don't want to pressure the elk .
Its guided so we'll hunt how the guide recommends and so I am not asking for any hunting tips.

Any local restaurants or sightseeing recommendations?

wyosteve

WKR
Afraid you're kind of in 'no man's land' in that area. Not much in Greybull, but Cody is only 55 miles away. If you have time, a drive over there and you could take in the Buffalo Bill Museum and Proud Cut or Cody Steak House.

In the mountains I sometimes question a guide. On private land pay attention. You do NOT want the elk to know you are there. If that happens and there’s no public behind the private you can access you will have a long lonely totally boring elkess hunt. Hunting public land mountains is never boring. It’s heaven in every direction. Plus the elk can’t cross a line and then look over the fence and laugh at you. You always have the opportunity to go hunt them.

Those ranch hunts don’t stimulate the senses. It’s all about the killing. Sure it’s great if the elk are there. If not though you get nothing for your money and no real memories.

I speak from experience. I’m a mountain hunter. Western Wyoming and Western Montana. I had a few points in Wyoming and knew an outfitter over there. He put me on one of his lease properties. I saw 2 bulls the first morning. As planned from the start I made sure I didn’t pressure them. Especially on day 1. After I learned my way around I realized they were just passing through and that morning was now or never. I could see bulls on the ranch to the south every day. I ended up killing a 300 inch 6 point. If I didn’t kill it I’d have gone home empty-handed. My partner never had a shot opportunity. Other than pulling the trigger and spending time with good friends it wasn’t a very memorable hunt.

I have a saying that I use when I’m way up in my spike site area. It’s almost like hunting private property. Nobody around. Always elk. I tell myself “The first time those elk should realize there’s a predator up here is when they see their buddy flop over dead and roll down the hill a little bit”. If I push them I can definitely get back on them. But the thought of packing one out from any further than I already am gives me serious butterflies in the stomach. It would be pure hell.

Hopefully there will be elk on your property. Treat them with care. If not treat the area with care. Don’t go peeking around too much so that if elk show up during the night they don’t smell human presence and keep going. Like you already said it’s good glassing country. I’m sure your guide will get you camped out on vantage points he knows. That’s ranch hunting. More like deer or antelope hunting than elk. Lots of times it’s not the “bugle them in” scenario you dream about. Guides will know ambush spots. Prepare to be sneaky. Good luck.

Are there other hunters? If so there’s some pressure. Depending on the size of the ranch killing and cutting up an elk could mean days or more with no elk on your side of the fence. If there is even 1 other hunter I would try to be the first one to put the hammer down on an elk.

Last edited:
OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks wyosteve. There didn’t seem to be much on google map for eateries.

The cartoon is for you bdan68.

Indian summer, I agree with your sentiments exactly. I have had good/great guided elk hunts but the ones that my buddies and I did on our own were the most fun. Figuring out what the elk were doing and working on our own schedule feels so much more like elk hunting to me

1693845520422.jpeg

The shell store in shell has some awesome food, must stop . That whole area is awesome to glass and hunt . I saw some big bulls come out of there while deer hunting .