Wyoming Preference Points for a FNG

Weber

FNG
I've done quite a bit of searching at this point and I am baffled.

How exactly does this preference point thing work in Wyoming? In Alaska, I buy a tag or I enter a lottery. It seems like if I want to hunt Mule's I have to buy these points? Do they stack? Does more increase my odds? How does this work?

I've done quite a bit of searching at this point and I am baffled.

How exactly does this preference point thing work in Wyoming? In Alaska, I buy a tag or I enter a lottery. It seems like if I want to hunt Mule's I have to buy these points? Do they stack? Does more increase my odds? How does this work?
Wyoming is a 75% most points to 25% random draws. Simply put yes points improve your odds.

So 75% of all regular non resident tags are awarded to those who apply with the most points. The remaining 25% of the tags go into a random drawing where the remaining applicants have a shot at draw a tag.

There's also a special draw where the tags are 1.5 times as much. It works with the same 75/25 split but the odds should be better because of less applications due to increased cost. Checking the odds this theory doesn't always hold true just as a FYI.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Got it. So basically I have to buy points for 5 years to hunt in Western states essentially?

When you put in for a draw you effectively "use" your points and go back to 0?

Got it. So basically I have to buy points for 5 years to hunt in Western states essentially?

When you put in for a draw you effectively "use" your points and go back to 0?
Only if you draw do you go back to 0. If you don't draw, you gain a point. So you can either put in and if you don't draw you will get a point or you can just buy a point. Putting in you have chance at drawing that year in the random process.

Only if you draw do you go back to 0. If you don't draw, you gain a point. So you can either put in and if you don't draw you will get a point or you can just buy a point. Putting in you have chance at drawing that year in the random process.

Got it. So no sense in buying? Just put in every year until I win?

If you want a chance at drawing each of those years, yes put in. Although, I think you have to go back and buy a point in Wyoming now after the draw. I dont think you automatically gain one.

If you don't acquire points you'll always in the 25% pool. Depending on the number of points your preferred unit requires buying points might not sense. Example it takes max points for your unit to be in the 75% draw pool, since you'll never catch up to everyone else's points buying a point might be wasted money.
I personally always try and acquire points because they offer options if your plans end up changing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Back