Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

600 bucks for antelope tag....glad I burnt my points last year. I'm a NR I get it but no way I will put in for a tag with a 85% increase..Deer tags will be 76%... Have at it fellas! Good Luck!

Laramie

WKR
@Laramie - This is pending legislation introduced about 10 days ago, not official as of yet.
Obviously- and a lot of people sitting on points will react to the proposed legislation, whether it is passed or not. The post above that went up while I was typing this shows that sentiment.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to me there should be a whole separate set of laws, rules and quotas for hunting on FEDERAL land in all states including WY. Sure the states manage the wildlife but the states do not own the game on FEDERAL land.
Let the residents have the 90/10 split on STATE owned land. Let the large PRIVATE land owners have some flexibility on season dates as long as they are required to allow the general public to have 10% of available quota on ALL allocated tags for their properties. General Public Private land tags should be available by draw for both resident and nonresident at regular resident and nonresident prices .

Tick

WKR
My interest and support for public land is directly related to my hunting opportunity on that public land as a NR. Selfish viewpoint but honest. My support declines as states increase the NR tag prices and decrease NR opportunity.

As a NR without an opportunity to hunt, I would not be against the privatization of public land and buy a chunk. Hope it never gets to that point.

wyodan

WKR
Seems to me there should be a whole separate set of laws, rules and quotas for hunting on FEDERAL land in all states including WY. Sure the states manage the wildlife but the states do not own the game on FEDERAL land.
Let the residents have the 90/10 split on STATE owned land. Let the large PRIVATE land owners have some flexibility on season dates as long as they are required to allow the general public to have 10% of available quota on ALL allocated tags for their properties. General Public Private land tags should be available by draw for both resident and nonresident at regular resident and nonresident prices .
Would this also mean the ranchers do not own all of the cattle being raised on Federal land?

JFK

WKR
I watched most of the video from the introduction by Sen Hicks.

Couple things that struck me:

-He mentions a “market based approach” to pricing tags about 50 times. I understand this to a point but why then wouldn’t you increase resident tag prices. I’m not for that either, but he really seemed to hang his hat on this argument. A market based approach would dictate that MORE tags, not less, go to NR’s.

-He argues that even if Wy goes to a 90/10 allocation then NR’s will still get more than 10% of the tags because currently Wy residents can’t draw what they are already allotted under the 80/20 rules. I guess that’s good news for NR’s but if residents don’t want 80% of tags how are they going to want 90% of tags.

-In defense of the above statement that surplus tags will still roll to NR, he says it’s really about protecting premium units for residents, and that less desirable units will still be accessible to NR’s. At least he’s honest about that. To think that thousands of people aren’t going to react negatively to a higher priced, lesser product is foolish.

I think supporters of this may be seriously underestimating the overall economic impacts. It’s not like Wyoming has a diverse economy. They have energy, tourism and ranching. The states they are comparing themselves against have more people and larger, more diverse economies where hunters don’t play as large of a role. Never mind the game agencies budget, what happens when small local businesses that depend on NR hunter dollars start suffering? Are they going to appreciate that they have more tags in light of the fact that their pocket book is hurting?

cday34

FNG
Been building NR points for antelope the last 4 years. But it will be hard to justify spending basically the same money on an antelope hunt that I do on my CO elk hunts

mlgc20

WKR
Nobody will complain about the Wyoming wilderness law more than me. And your proposal would benefit me personally. But, there is no chance that I want the federal government getting any where near regulating hunting rules or quotas or anything. Even if it would benefit me in the short term.

bozeman

WKR
They wont suffer at all.....too many NR and Res hunters trying to get that picture on SnapBook and InstaChat places........I want to hunt WY just once.....have 4 PP right now....I'll keep buying......

The states do own the animals on federal land.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't over-play your "funding" hand.

There's a metric chit ton of NGO funding that's spent on wildlife from funding GF studies, GPS collars, funding for wildlife over-passes, fencing, etc. etc. etc. that is mostly all funded via RESIDENTS. I also haven't seen many non residents volunteering thousands of hours doing fence pulls, planting bitterbrush, assisting with helicopter captures, picking up literally tons of trash, advocating for wildlife and public lands with local and state politicians, getting the WWNRT funded, and the list goes on and on and on.

You pay more license fee's...which you should.
And 99% of RESIDENT WY hunters don't volunteer for a single damn project in their own state, but they can find time to complain about how NR hunters are ruining everything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lukem

WKR
Don't over-play your "funding" hand.

There's a metric chit ton of NGO funding that's spent on wildlife from funding GF studies, GPS collars, funding for wildlife over-passes, fencing, etc. etc. etc. that is mostly all funded via RESIDENTS. I also haven't seen many non residents volunteering thousands of hours doing fence pulls, planting bitterbrush, assisting with helicopter captures, picking up literally tons of trash, advocating for wildlife and public lands with local and state politicians, getting the WWNRT funded, and the list goes on and on and on.

You pay more license fee's...which you should.
Do you have a citation on the NGO funding that shows it's primarily from residents? Genuinely curious. I've been under the impression that most dollars from what you listed come from agency funded studies and that overpasses come from roads monies.

BuzzH

WKR
I watched most of the video from the introduction by Sen Hicks.

Couple things that struck me:

-He mentions a “market based approach” to pricing tags about 50 times. I understand this to a point but why then wouldn’t you increase resident tag prices. I’m not for that either, but he really seemed to hang his hat on this argument. A market based approach would dictate that MORE tags, not less, go to NR’s.

-He argues that even if Wy goes to a 90/10 allocation then NR’s will still get more than 10% of the tags because currently Wy residents can’t draw what they are already allotted under the 80/20 rules. I guess that’s good news for NR’s but if residents don’t want 80% of tags how are they going to want 90% of tags.

-In defense of the above statement that surplus tags will still roll to NR, he says it’s really about protecting premium units for residents, and that less desirable units will still be accessible to NR’s. At least he’s honest about that. To think that thousands of people aren’t going to react negatively to a higher priced, lesser product is foolish.

I think supporters of this may be seriously underestimating the overall economic impacts. It’s not like Wyoming has a diverse economy. They have energy, tourism and ranching. The states they are comparing themselves against have more people and larger, more diverse economies where hunters don’t play as large of a role. Never mind the game agencies budget, what happens when small local businesses that depend on NR hunter dollars start suffering? Are they going to appreciate that they have more tags in light of the fact that their pocket book is hurting?
We're going to make sure that no under-subscribed Resident antelope and deer tags roll to the initial NR draw. That doesn't take legislative approval we'll do that through the commission.

Time for residents to get their full 80% allotment of pronghorn and deer tags.

There will NOT be a significant economic impact.

Its been stated over and over again and nobody comprehends it.

NR's will STILL get 7,250 full priced elk tags in the initial draw...NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN ECONOMIC REVENUE.

NR's will still get every single one of their region wide deer tags, NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN ECONOMIC REVENUE.

NR's will still get over 50% of the pronghorn tags, NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN REVENUE.

Facts are simply being trumped by emotion...as per ALWAYS.

BuzzH

WKR
Do you have a citation on the NGO funding that shows it's primarily from residents? Genuinely curious. I've been under the impression that most dollars from what you listed come from agency funded studies and that overpasses come from roads monies.
Watch some past commission meetings specific to over-passes. I don't have the exact figures, but the commission spent IIRC, threw in the first million for the dry-piney project. One of the past commissioners has also donated equipment and time out of his own pocket to help on the projects. The conservation license plate bill, all that funding goes to migration related issues (fencing, over-passes, etc.)...all from residents.

Just glancing around at banquets for RMEF, MFF, MDF...I don't recall seeing a whole lot of out of state plates attending those functions in Wyoming. Probably are some, but not many.

Laramie

WKR
We're going to make sure that no under-subscribed Resident antelope and deer tags roll to the initial NR draw. That doesn't take legislative approval we'll do that through the commission.

Time for residents to get their full 80% allotment of pronghorn and deer tags.

There will NOT be a significant economic impact.

Its been stated over and over again and nobody comprehends it.

NR's will STILL get 7,250 full priced elk tags in the initial draw...NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN ECONOMIC REVENUE.

NR's will still get every single one of their region wide deer tags, NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN ECONOMIC REVENUE.

NR's will still get over 50% of the pronghorn tags, NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN REVENUE.

Facts are simply being trumped by emotion...as per ALWAYS.
What is your feel for the likelihood of this passing as is?

BuzzH

WKR
And 99% of RESIDENT WY hunters don't volunteer for a single damn project in their own state, but they can find time to complain about how NR hunters are ruining everything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Totally agree...I think we could all do more, including not griping about funding wildlife via fee increases.

Yes?

wapitibob

WKR

NR that hunt pronghorn in WY might pay attention to this as it'll be a big kick in the nuts. Certainly their right but those rollover tags make a big difference. Kicking the resident bees nest has consequences.

BuzzH

WKR
What is your feel for the likelihood of this passing as is?
Doesn't have to pass anything...just have to get the commission on board.

It's being discussed more and more and more...I say way better chance than 90-10 passing the legislature.

It will be even easier after the Legislature denies 90-10, which they will.

Residents are not going to take no increase in opportunity, going to be one or the other. The task force members are already hearing that leftover resident deer and pronghorn tags should not be offered to NR's in the leftover draw. This has lots of support from Residents and many resident hunting organizations as well.

LostArra

WKR
One of the past commissioners has also donated equipment and time out of his own pocket to help on the projects.

And wasn't he rewarded for his good works by being asked to resign? I'm sure there are more details but it seemed to be a head scratcher to me after reading a press release.