Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

JFK

WKR
You can compare truck cost going up over time and tag cost going up over time in only a general sense, but you can't compare how the raises happen directly. Ford doesn't have to go through legislature to increase prices, they just do it with inflation every year. Game and fish departments have to raise price once every 5-15 years depending on the state, and then that price stays the same. They cannot raise prices every year and so can't just do a little at a time. They do it in one lump sum and then that increase has to last. Idaho for example last raised prices in 2009 before the raise starting this year. Compare a truck from 2009 to 2021 and tell me the price difference isn't a large amount. It all averages out, people just get to caught up on the cost from year to year. That just isn't how tag prices work.
That’s a good explanation and I had not thought about it like that. They did just raise the prices a few years ago, but I can see what you are saying. Money aside, I just hope to have the opportunity (tag) to go hunt.

Never had the pleasure of hunting in Wyoming but hope to some day. I'm kind of torn on this. I think states should put their own residents first for the most part but at the same time I don't think it's as cut and dry on FEDERAL land. To me, all US citizens should get an equal opportunity to hunt on federal land. I can see some residents getting some preference but 90/10 seems a bit much.
The land is federal, the wildlife (at least big game) belongs to the state. The two need to be bifurcated.

You can go camp on and recreate on the land as much as anyone else, but hunting, fishing, trapping is a state decision. Besides migratory birds, of course.

Fewer tags, higher prices, outfitter welfare. The tags will always sell but more and more these western state big game seasons will look like South Dakota when pheasant season comes around. Wealthy people flying in with their rifles to be chauffeured around and shown game during the day with booze and hookers at night.

Meh, I'll find a way to hunt no matter what. Lots of things to hunt, and not all have fur.
People who want to hunt will diversify their interests. Upland, waterfowl, predators, easy OTC tags like spring and fall bear in some states, etc

204guy

WKR
@BuzzH @wapitibob does this legislation do anything to address nr drawing such a huge % of antelope tags in the initial draw? In other words all the leftovers after the resident draw that get scooped up in the first nr draw.

Never had the pleasure of hunting in Wyoming but hope to some day. I'm kind of torn on this. I think states should put their own residents first for the most part but at the same time I don't think it's as cut and dry on FEDERAL land. To me, all US citizens should get an equal opportunity to hunt on federal land. I can see some residents getting some preference but 90/10 seems a bit much.
I can stomach the fee increase FAR more than I can their approach to wilderness. Sorry but anytime I can vent I have to take it

BuzzH

WKR
The cost, IMO, isn't the sticking point. Reducing the NR distribution to 1 in 10 tags basically makes it an outside lucky chance to get a worthwhile license, which I totally get for moose and goats. Doing that for all species, though, basically sends the message that Wyoming's hunting is only for residents, and sorry about your luck if you're not able to rearrange your life to make living there happen. Thousands of tourists from the west and midwest come to the Chesapeake Bay where I live to fish for Striped Bass, Cobia, Redfish and Tuna. They all get the exact same opportunity as I do. Happy to pay my extra share as an NR, but it just doesn't seem fair to be relegated to such a tiny percentage of licenses for species that are often an easy weekend trip for resident hunters.
Most every state I apply for a NR license I'm limited to 10% or in many cases, an "up to 10%" but not assured a single tag.

Why should Wyoming Residents not be afforded the same opportunities that residents in AZ, UT, ID, MT, NV, NM, etc. enjoy?

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
The human population keeps growing. More nonresident western hunters and more habitat destruction/ encroachment.
Yes hunting is only going to become more expensive.

Not everyone can get what they want.

Some people have to lose.

Work harder so you can be a winner

OXN939

WKR
I’m sure all of you non residents of Wyoming that are complaining about this are working hard at opening up my hunting opportunities in your state. Right?

Sure. Come on over. I guided hundreds of people from western states fishing the year I ran charters after college, and I happily took guys from work when I was in the military to my best spots. PM me for pictures of nonresidents holding Virginia citation game fish that are ten times the size of the biggest state records where those guys come from.

It seems like the only coherent argument I really hear is "Well, the other guys do it too, so I should be able to as well." I can't say that sounds like very good logic to follow in life in general. Also, what about the state with the best hunting on the continent and arguably in the world? Alaska gives out unlimited OTC tags to nonresidents for most species. Like I said originally, I think it's great that they limit "the big three" to residents or high dollar guides- I look forward to hunting sheep myself when I get AK residency, but I'll never look down on a guy from out of state trying to fill a Caribou tag as long as he's a responsible hunter.

It sucks but I get it. When it comes to the big 3 and bison I don’t know why WY gives NR so many tags.. But for elk, deer, antelope, WY residents already have the best resident preference deal in the lower 48 IMO. It doesn’t make WY residents wrong for wanting better but they don’t have it bad.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Sure. Come on over. I guided hundreds of people from western states fishing the year I ran charters after college, and I happily took guys from work when I was in the military to my best spots. PM me for pictures of nonresidents holding Virginia citation game fish that are ten times the size of the biggest state records where those guys come from.

It seems like the only coherent argument I really hear is "Well, the other guys do it too, so I should be able to as well." I can't say that sounds like very good logic to follow in life in general. Also, what about the state with the best hunting on the continent and arguably in the world? Alaska gives out unlimited OTC tags to nonresidents for most species. Like I said originally, I think it's great that they limit "the big three" to residents or high dollar guides- I look forward to hunting sheep myself when I get AK residency, but I'll never look down on a guy from out of state trying to fill a Caribou tag as long as he's a responsible hunter.
When enough hunters start showing up in Alaska they will be forced to do exactly the same thing or end up with a circus like Colorado otc. It’s simple math. Unlimited opportunity can’t go on forever

Billinsd

WKR
The land is federal, the wildlife (at least big game) belongs to the state. The two need to be bifurcated.

You can go camp on and recreate on the land as much as anyone else, but hunting, fishing, trapping is a state decision. Besides migratory birds, of course.
There is a big cry from some, that the federal government is going to transfer all federal land to the states (I don't believe it will ever happen). Then the states would own the land and the animals. Will the millions of non resident hunters that don't live in Montana, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, etc that can't hunt out of state anymore, help the tiny population of resident hunters from stopping this happen? Will they want to continue to pay taxes on bloated, corrupt, over regulating agencies like the BLM and Forest Circus that mismanage the land that feed, shelter, and sustain animals they can't hunt? What do you non residents think if you can't hunt out of state due to the cost and or restrictions? Would that in anyway change your mind about Federal Public land transfer? I've never heard help fight federal public land transfers and raise and restrict non resident hunting in the same topic until my post?

Last edited: