Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
As a NR, I know I have little influence on Wyoming’s legislature and the laws they pass.

However, knowing the amount of money my hunting group pays to hunt in Wyoming every year, I hope future laws don’t harm the good people of Wyoming who rely on NR hunters for their livelihood.

BuzzH

WKR
As a NR, I know I have little influence on Wyoming’s legislature and the laws they pass.

However, knowing the amount of money my hunting group pays to hunt in Wyoming every year, I hope future laws don’t harm the good people of Wyoming who rely on NR hunters for their livelihood.
I'm always curious how other States economies survive where NR's are limited to 10%, or less, of the available quotas?

BuzzH

WKR
Not to mention they already have unlimited access to general deer and elk tags, all while continuing to limit non resident general deer tags. This isn't about opportunity, its about trophy hunting opportunity.

I guess we'll see how it shakes out over the next few years. But, it sure seems like the math being used just doesn't work. Are people really going to pay for yearly preference points and buy an antelope tag for 600? I sure wont. For me the low point units aren't worth it already at current prices. Sure, maybe for your first hunt, but who needs 2, 3, 4 or more average bucks when they cost 600? Same meat as a doe, only 10x more cost.
Way past time to raise the NR fees on doe deer and pronghorn. Ridiculous that a doe tag and preference point for a buck are essentially the same price.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I'm always curious how other States economies survive where NR's are limited to 10%, or less, of the available quotas?

Since you’re asking the question, I have a hunch you already know. I wouldn’t claim to know. My state doesn’t limit NR licenses to a prescribed or a limited quota. $150 for a NR whitetail buck license.

I don’t hunt any other western state either. Wyoming or bust for our crew.

edited to add that our NR bonus doe tags are $24. Just for comparison.

BuzzH

WKR
Since you’re asking the question, I have a hunch you already know. I wouldn’t claim to know. My state doesn’t limit NR licenses to a prescribed or a limited quota. $150 for a NR whitetail buck license.

I don’t hunt any other western state either. Wyoming or bust for our crew.

edited to add that our NR bonus doe tags are $24. Just for comparison.
You have a resource that nearly every other state has a bunch of so the price you're able to get reflects that high volume of whitetail deer.

We don't have huge numbers of elk, sheep, moose, goat, bison...

cnelk

WKR
This is from the CPW Regulations.

No where do I see a 10% allocation for NonRes.

As far as MGS, they are based on weighted point system drawing - much like a random drawing.

You just gotta hope your happy ass generates a good random application number.

4797A428-3BF4-48CB-AF3A-0E8347956B6C.jpeg4797A428-3BF4-48CB-AF3A-0E8347956B6C.jpeg

tdhanses

WKR

Something no one talked about, only 1/5th of WY residents hunt out of 580k residents, so 100k out of 580k, bet the other 480k would vote pro non resident or to increase the NR tags knowing the income it brings vs what residents pay if it hurt their personal pocket book.

Buzz will act like he’s in a majority, fact is, the majority of WY doesn’t care either way.

Far as I can tell, there are nearly twice as many NRs invested in WY Elk preference points as there are WY residents who purchase a hunting license (for any species) annually. Residents will not replace the $ from NR.
Fair enough, I thought license revenue was quite a bit higher than point revenue. Point revenue may still be there too if general tags were still available as I note in my hypothetical.

BuzzH

WKR
Something no one talked about, only 1/5th of WY residents hunt out of 580k residents, so 100k out of 580k, bet the other 480k would vote pro non resident or to increase the NR tags knowing the income it brings vs what residents pay if it hurt their personal pocket book.

Buzz will act like he’s in a majority, fact is, the majority of WY doesn’t care either way.
Ask Anselmi-Dalton how smart it is to ignore resident hunters.

At least she doesn't have to worry about spending time in Cheyenne anymore.

BuzzH

WKR
Fair enough, I thought license revenue was quite a bit higher than point revenue. Point revenue may still be there too if general tags were still available as I note in my hypothetical.
100% NR's will buy points to draw general elk...its already taking 3 for the regular fee and at least 1 for the Special.

That wont change under 90-10. If anything with more general tags, I bet point sales will increase.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Loss of what? I've got next to nill as a chance and that is declining. What have I lost?
Damn, talk about glass half empty! There are tons of opportunities for NR all over the West, and as has been stated several times, this proposed change doesn't take a single tag away from NR hunters in WY.

Just following your numbers (and no I’m not googling anything on my own to verify) Is it 100k resident hunters? 580,000 TOTAL population makes sense. Family of four per average hunting family = 400k people. 400k reliant on hunting. I think 70% for hunting is closer than 20% but definitely just an estimate.

Edit: could be dual hunters per household, so possibly in the 60% range.

JFK

WKR

Because, for better or for worse, Wyoming can’t really compare themselves to most other states when it comes to their economy. Energy, tourism, ranching. That’s what you’ve got. And in that order of significance. You do realize having a large number of visitors who pay sales tax on all purchases is the equivalent of a subsidy for residents, right? That money flows to schools, roads, etc. To not even acknowledge any type of economic concern is foolish. That’s why the $8m figure is BS. Because it looks at the issue in a vacuum and doesn’t even to attempt to estimate net economic impact on the state as a whole. I honestly support Wyoming’s right to do whatever they want, but I can only hope that the actual lawmakers don’t approach it with the same type of reckless arrogance that you do. It’s beginning to sound like this is less about the good of the state and more about you having 15 tags a year and wanting 20.

I saved some space down here for you to put your 😂 at.

slick

WKR
Or you just look at the number of resident hunting licenses sold. That would be the easiest way to gauge that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, talk about glass half empty! There are tons of opportunities for NR all over the West, and as has been stated several times, this proposed change doesn't take a single tag away from NR hunters in WY.
Are we reading the same thread? Doesn’t take one single tag away from non res hunters? Please stop....

Bobbyboe

WKR

Your telling me the reason she was voted out was because she ignored hunters? Not because there was actually a republican on the ballot? Looking back through the past elections it appears that district 12 was a one candidate race. Am I wrong?

tdhanses

WKR

Well maybe the rest of the population just doesn’t vote then but hunters are not a majority in WY. And if hunting is the #1 issue to WY residents I feel sad for you guys.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
100% NR's will buy points to draw general elk...its already taking 3 for the regular fee and at least 1 for the Special.

That wont change under 90-10. If anything with more general tags, I bet point sales will increase.
Time will tell.