Wyoming residents want first chance at leftover big game tags

204guy

WKR
I've zero interest in supporting shaul.

Something does need to change with the leftovers and initial draw allocations though. 75+ % of buck antelope tags going to nr in some units is a social problem. I've never checked but I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of cow/Calf or doe/fawn went to nr in some units. Pretty humorous really contrasted to the whine fest after 90/10 big 5.

I've zero interest in supporting shaul.

Something does need to change with the leftovers and initial draw allocations though. 75+ % of buck antelope tags going to nr in some units is a social problem. I've never checked but I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of cow/Calf or doe/fawn went to nr in some units. Pretty humorous really contrasted to the whine fest after 90/10 big 5.
I’d like to know more about Shaul. Can you post a link?

Edit: I guess you must mean Rob Shaul of the mountain pursuit institute. That came up quick on google. I’ll check it out.

I didn’t have to read very far into it to figure… I may agree with him on some things and I really disagree on others. Not going to join his club.

Last edited:

cgasner1

WKR
That would work also, I'd just prefer to do it all in the draw.

As an example I'd love to get a B tag in the Elkhorns which has pretty low odds. I'd love to be able to put that as my first choice, put region 4 as my second choice, region 5 as my third. Then I can do the same thing with my second B tag choice as well. When the draw is done I should have all my tags and not have to worry about leftovers at all. it's just simpler and cleaner that way in my opinion.

Instead of that I can only put in for the Elkhorns and then hope I can pick up a B tag or two in the leftover. So far hasn't been an issue for me, but if things keep going the way they are I can see a day that it is a problem.

Again, I'm only speaking about Montana so none of this may apply to that situation.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

You get 3 choices to select for a cow tag in Montana I’ve drawn a second choice cow tag multiple times. To get away from the left over tag you would need to be able to draw a tag on each choice and not just a single tag so say you did draw your elk horn tag then if your second or third choice is a tag that’s normally left over you could draw it also in the next round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Residents are talking about this more all the time. Many feel the 80% initial allocation reserved for residents should not fall to the nr initial draw before residents get another chance.

It's not taking anything away from the initial nr allocation of 20%.

On another board a good idea was brought up that all 3 nr choices should take preference points in both the initial and leftover draws. That would really help point creep.

That would be a great idea for burning up points but would cost that state money. I’ll more than likely be hunting it on a second choice hunt this year and if I had to burn my points would not have bought a license because I’m not burning 10 points on a left over tag.

BuzzH

WKR
That would be a great idea for burning up points but would cost that state money. I’ll more than likely be hunting it on a second choice hunt this year and if I had to burn my points would not have bought a license because I’m not burning 10 points on a left over tag.

Somebody with zero or maybe a point or two will take your place.

bsnedeker

WKR
You get 3 choices to select for a cow tag in Montana I’ve drawn a second choice cow tag multiple times. To get away from the left over tag you would need to be able to draw a tag on each choice and not just a single tag so say you did draw your elk horn tag then if your second or third choice is a tag that’s normally left over you could draw it also in the next round

Well son of a B, you're 100% right. I would have sworn they only allowed 1 choice for B tags.

Thanks for the correction!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Somebody with zero or maybe a point or two will take your place.

Those guys are already buying the license I’ll just keep buying my points and waiting I agree it would be a great thing but it would only get it so far. I also believe your state would rather sell me the tag that you I mean the whole money thing

LostArra

WKR
Does anyone know (wapitibob????) where to find the data of resident/non-resident split on leftover tags?
The comment about 75% pronghorn buck tags going to non-res seems bizarre.

tdhanses

WKR
Did WY take away the otc tag option for residents? If these are such desirable tags why are they in a leftover list?

Or is this just a chance to have multiple tags?

Yes, you are a recipient , beneficiary of the work.
Man, you were doing so well. For one, that is called a “comma splice”. Either a conjunction, a period or a semicolon should be used between those two clauses. Secondly, there shouldn’t be a space after “recipient”. If we are going to continue I’ll have to insist that you pay a minor tutoring fee.

Last edited: