Wyoming Unit 38 type 9

ridgefire

WKR
My brother and I should draw Unit 38 this year with 12 points and have a couple questions for those that have hunted it. How much hunting pressure can we expect? We are experienced elk hunters that hunt hard and are willing to put in whatever effort is needed to get away from the majority of other hunters. We have all the gear necessary to bivy hunt for 3-4 days at a time if needed and would have basically 2 weeks to hunt. We have cut our teeth archery hunting the mountains of Central Idaho so not afraid of anything steep. What kind of trophy potential can we expect? We have killed many bulls between us but nothing over 300". We usually shoot the first bull we get a chance at but I would be holding out for something over the 300" mark. Does anybody have any other suggestions to look at? We have also been looking into 7, 39, 40, 45 and 54 but have been leaning towards 38. PM me if you prefer. Thanks

Trial153

WKR
I been in 37 and 38 during the type 9 season
38 is a better hunt no doubt. it hunts very well later in the archery season, you have have pressure for sure. Dont expect solidtude and you wont be disappointed.
As far as packing in...well honestly I think pays to have that option available however, with that unit being so roaded up..... dont expect that to get you away from people. I think staying mobile is key and better plan commiting several days to spot especially with company around.
Low 300s is very doable and is a realistic expectation.

4rcgoat

WKR
38 is beautiful country,but too many roads. You can definitely find some nasty spots that you wont see too many people in. 37 gets a bad wrap sometimes......see bulls like this get pulled out of every year.

Attachments

• part0_1.jpg
    part0_1.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 265

jmez

WKR
You should just truck camp in the Bighorns. No need to bivy. You'll be hard pressed to find a mile between roads other than wilderness. A lot of pressure, you really can't get away from it in the Bighorns.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

4rcgoat

WKR
You should just truck camp in the Bighorns. No need to bivy. You'll be hard pressed to find a mile between roads other than wilderness. A lot of pressure, you really can't get away from it in the Bighorns.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
I disagree ( respectfully of course) i hunt the Horns hard every year, you can get away if you try hard enough.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
As other have said, lots of people around in September in the bighorns and 300” is very doable in that specific area.

Im 95% sure I am going to burn my points on a 38 type 1 tag this year. If anyone is willing to discuss, PM me please.

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Been in 38 several times and what everyone has stated above is very true. Lots of ATV traffic just from non-hunters. The later archery season is better. A friend of mine picks up around a 100 antlers a year on their somewhat migration route and I don't think a 340 bull is not out of the question, but the majority of the antlers he picks up are in the 300-320 range for top end. Every year a nice bull is killed though up there.

I've drawn that tag twice and was holding out for a 300+ type bull both trips. Drew first with points and two years later on the random. Got a little lucky... My first trip, I never had a run in with anyone once I hit my hunting spot and was within 100 yards of bugling bulls for 10 days straight. Missed a 300-320 type bull on my last day. My second trip I bumped into more people while hunting, but still had great action. Ended up killing a 323" bull on my last day at 12 yards.

You will see a ton of people camping and riding ATV's throughout the unit. I wall tent camped in a spot that allowed me to use my truck to be super mobile. There were days where I'd evening hunt 20 miles away from my morning hunt. I just kept moving around until I found elk.

Good luck if you draw!

WY Bull Pic 1 Edited.jpg

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been up there during the rifle season too. That I would strongly encourage to stay away from. ha

Reactions: zbb

zbb

FNG
Here’s a bull I killed in your hopeful unit last year. Not the biggest but I shot him at 5 yards, so that was pretty cool. Definitely saw bigger bulls. As others said there is a ton of people up there but between two different scouting trips and two trips up there in September my dad and I never did run in to any hunters in the timber. We had kind of a bonus trip the first couple days of September, messed up a couple stalks and had to go home. It snowed about a foot between our first trip and our original planned trip the third week of sep. The snow pushed a lot of elk off the mountain and it was pretty frustrating, but we still got into elk every day. It was an awesome time!

Attachments

• 15CED2FB-D57C-467A-9682-C9B94FDCC5E4.jpeg
    15CED2FB-D57C-467A-9682-C9B94FDCC5E4.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 94

wweaver

FNG
I have 11 points and put in for the 38-9 tag in the special draw so should be ok. After talking to a few people and lots of time on google earth/onX. It seems like the best type 9 option in the bighorns, looked 45 also but you only get the first 15 days and then type 1 can come in and hunt also. Planning on Scouting And maybe a little fishing the last week of August and hunting the first four days of the season and then returning for the last two weeks of the season. Have to make an appearance back at work for 10 days or so. Never enough vacation time for adventures. Really looking forward to trip.

DRUSS

WKR
I've drawn that tag twice and was holding out for a 300+ type bull both trips. Drew first with points and two years later on the random. Got a little lucky... My first trip, I never had a run in with anyone once I hit my hunting spot and was within 100 yards of bugling bulls for 10 days straight. Missed a 300-320 type bull on my last day. My second trip I bumped into more people while hunting, but still had great action. Ended up killing a 323" bull on my last day at 12 yards.

You will see a ton of people camping and riding ATV's throughout the unit. I wall tent camped in a spot that allowed me to use my truck to be super mobile. There were days where I'd evening hunt 20 miles away from my morning hunt. I just kept moving around until I found elk.

Good luck if you draw!

View attachment 251847
Nice bull!
How long ago did you hunt 38?

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy and I hunted 38-9 two years ago (bigborns). We hunted the first week of the season. Weather was warm. Saw some people but nothing crazy. Hunted hard , saw and heard elk, just couldn't it done. Beautiful country and a pleasure to hike and hunt in.