Wyoming unit 87 cow hunt

Justinc68

FNG
After missing the draw on a mule deer and antelope tag, I settled on a cow elk tag.

I did alot of research on the website and it looked like unit 87 provided good public access and decent success rates. I'll be hunting middle of October.

I've never hunted elk before. I've been listening to lots of podcasts and reading whatever i can find. I'm learning alot about elk habitat and behavior.

Just thought I'd make a post and see if anyone on here has any helpful tips or expeierence in the unit they would be willing to share.

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Elk there come down out of the wilderness. I’d hunt that unit as late as possible for the best odds of elk being there.

OP
J

Justinc68

FNG
Thanks for the info. I noticed there's a large chunk of wilderness. I figured that's where they would be. Again, appreciate your response.

Also I’d be using Onx maps there to be sure of property lines. If you get good weather… winter moving in, you could have a good hunt. But if it’s unseasonably warm you’ll have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

OP
J

Justinc68

FNG
I've had onx maps for a few months now and have been looking at it regularly.

I'd assume the closer we can get to the wilderness boundary would be our best bet? As that's where they are coming from?

Tick

WKR
Good luck. Checked it out last Oct during Gen season. Saw a few elk and even more hunters. Not the best hunt to get away but talked with a bunch of nice hunters in some beautiful country.

OP
J

Justinc68

FNG
Gotcha, thanks for the reply. Looks like this will be a good learning experience. I guess at the least we will learn alot and get to see a part of the country we've never been.

Is it worth it to try to find a guide?

Justin

No. Hunt late! Is your tag good for the late season in December? If so that would be way better hunting. I have friends from there who hunt 84 and it’s about the same scenario.

OP
J

Justinc68

FNG
Thanks for the advice.. I wish we could come in December but we can't. With work schedules and home schedules we are set for that week.

Thanks again I appreciate all the help. I'll spend the next few weeks praying for early snow.. ha!

Thanks for the advice.. I wish we could come in December but we can't. With work schedules and home schedules we are set for that week.

Thanks again I appreciate all the help. I'll spend the next few weeks praying for early snow.. ha!
Sorry, very late to this. How did it go for you? If you were interested in doing it again, I might be able to steer you in some directions. Should be plenty of elk there, but you just gotta work for them.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425