XLR Element 3.0 Chassis Review, By Travis Bertrand

I've got the Magnesium 4.0 for the XM Lone Peak action. I also have the folder and feel like it locks up tight and won't cause any issues. I'm waiting on my brake to show up, but I'll update once I start putting rounds down range. I also have an JV Envy Pro setup on my 6BR that's pretty nice.
6868f2a8c5e5f1913a64102755a7121f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatal
What's that setup weigh

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's that setup weigh

I have a similar setup but it’s in the mail. I have the chassis, and the barreled action was supposed to be here today but FedEx sucks.
When it arrives, I’ll weigh it. Is a 700 long action in 280ai for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowPowHawg

Lil-Rokslider
Cannot go wrong with the 3.0 or 4.0 if weight, stability and or a folder is required or necessary… Unmatched currently…

Attachments

• F84B14C1-807F-4F90-A01C-F09F4871D4B0.jpeg
    F84B14C1-807F-4F90-A01C-F09F4871D4B0.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 49
  • CCF5C4B4-3AE6-409A-A22A-59F42F1F1275.jpeg
    CCF5C4B4-3AE6-409A-A22A-59F42F1F1275.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Love
Reactions: XLR
I have a similar setup but it’s in the mail. I have the chassis, and the barreled action was supposed to be here today but FedEx sucks.
When it arrives, I’ll weigh it. Is a 700 long action in 280ai for reference.

Awesome thanks! Ive been planning a build and looking for real world #'s. I want to keep it under 8.75 lbs if I can. Shaves a pound off all my current LR setups. My 2 biggest fears are will I hate the chassis ergonomics and smiths I have talked to really push sway from the folder and that's my main draw... Im wanting to build a 24-26" 300prc with either the anTi or maybe Titanium action and keep the optic under 25oz. I think its all doable just unsure of what route to go. My customs currently wear 4 of the AG alpine hunters, 2 different manners and a krg bravo.

I'm at 8 pounds, 8.5oz. That's complete rifle minus magazine and ammo. I'm waiting on my magazines to show up. Not bad weight wise considering it's a 26in tube.
51fe410ffa6f79ced9e341a7bf612f67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Awesome! That gives me hope that what I want is doable. And you have the folder as well, how do feel it locks up, affect reliability? How do you feel about the ergonomics? I'm super nervous on how I will like it.. And is that a bartlein cf?

Last edited:

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome! That gives me hope that what I want is doable. And you have the folder as well, how do feel it locks up, affect reliability? How do you feel about the ergonomics? I'm super nervous on how I will like it.. And is that a bartlein cf?
It is a Bartlein carbon. I have no issues at all with the XLR folder setup. It locks up tight. My only complaint at all is that when the stock is folded, it doesn't lock in that position, but it's for sure not a deal breakerfor me. And to be honest, I'm not sure how often I'll have it folded down. You could easily drop another ounce or 2 off it by not using the folder. I feel like the ergonomics fit me pretty well. I was worried about the stock being short, as in 6ft 2in with a long wingspan, but it actually fits very nice. My eventual goal is to get a 20in carbon tube, either Bartlein or Carbon 6, and run this setup supressed with a 5in Ultrabeast.

It is a Bartlein carbon. I have no issues at all with the XLR folder setup. It locks up tight. My only complaint at all is that when the stock is folded, it doesn't lock in that position, but it's for sure not a deal breakerfor me. And to be honest, I'm not sure how often I'll have it folded down. You could easily drop another ounce or 2 off it by not using the folder. I feel like the ergonomics fit me pretty well. I was worried about the stock being short, as in 6ft 2in with a long wingspan, but it actually fits very nice. My eventual goal is to get a 20in carbon tube, either Bartlein or Carbon 6, and run this setup supressed with a 5in Ultrabeast.

Awesome good info, im wanting to build a twin 300prc's 24-26 proofs, I think batleins are heavier? Defiance AnTi or maybe a Ti razor. To brake Looking hard at the new 4.5-22 ffp lht. Im mainly worried about if I will like the ergonomics. I had a few people (well known smiths) kinda push away from the folder period especially a magnum as they thought it might loosen up and create random accuracy issues. Ive got a bunch of AG alpine hunters, 2 manners and a krg bravo. This would be my first chassis of its style. I have twin 300wm's that weight out at 9lbs 13oz all up. My hope was to drop atleast 1 pound maybe more. These are on 32 oz actions, AG alpine hunters, 26 proof CF, hellfire brake, 5x25 leupold mrk5's. I think I can get the prc's down to under 8.75 lbs. The folder I envision being extremely nice packing out. Wont be sticking way above your head

willidru

WKR
Any smithing required with these set ups if you have a barreled action? Like bedding?

assuming this could be good option for switch barrel set up

Any smithing required with these set ups if you have a barreled action? Like bedding?

Nope, thats a huge draw for me. Really cuts down on cost and time. Plus switch them out between BA's

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome good info, im wanting to build a twin 300prc's 24-26 proofs, I think batleins are heavier? Defiance AnTi or maybe a Ti razor. To brake Looking hard at the new 4.5-22 ffp lht. Im mainly worried about if I will like the ergonomics. I had a few people (well known smiths) kinda push away from the folder period especially a magnum as they thought it might loosen up and create random accuracy issues. Ive got a bunch of AG alpine hunters, 2 manners and a krg bravo. This would be my first chassis of its style. I have twin 300wm's that weight out at 9lbs 13oz all up. My hope was to drop atleast 1 pound maybe more. These are on 32 oz actions, AG alpine hunters, 26 proof CF, hellfire brake, 5x25 leupold mrk5's. I think I can get the prc's down to under 8.75 lbs. The folder I envision being extremely nice packing out. Wont be sticking way above your head
I went with the Lone Peak Fuzion Ti in XM length for mine. Mine is chambered in 7 SAUM. I went with the SFP Vortex HD LHT 3X15X42 for mine. Had I known about the 4.5, I would have probably went that route. Swapping to that 4.5 Vortex instead of the Leupold should save you some weight. You could also swap the muzzle brake for a Ti one and drop it some more. I really don't feel like the folder will be an issue with a magnum cartridge, but you could always just drop it and it drops and Oz to Oz and a half I think. Originally I had a AG Composites stock on order for it, but they busted the lead time by a lot, so I canceled it once I got the XLR on the way. And I do think that you are right, the Bartlein is heavier than a Proof.

Last edited:

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider

I spun my own barrel and had the action installed in the chassis in under 10 minutes. No gunsmithing is required at all. This is perfect for a switch barrel setup.

I went with the Lone Peak Fuzion Ti in XM length for mine. Mine is chambered in 7 SAUM. I went with the SFP Vortex HD LHT 3X15X42 for mine. Had I known about the 4.5, I would have probably went that route. Swapping to that 4.5 Vortex instead of the Leupold should save you some weight. You could also swap the muzzle brake for a Ti one and drop it some more. I really don't feel like the folder will be an issue with a magnum cartridge, but you could always just drop it and it drops and Oz to Oz and a half I think. Originally I had a AG Composites stock on order for it, but they busted the lead time by a lot, so I canceled it once I got the XLR on the way. And I do think that you are right, the Bartlein is heavier than a Proof.

Have you had much experience with the lone peak. I'm super on the fence about Ti actions... I go back and fourth between them and a anTi... Maybe I'm reading to much into it... I have a smaller LHT on a LW kimber 300wsm and its been good. Im actually not a vortex guy, had one cost me a bull a few years back. I decided to try the little 3-15 as it checked a lot of boxes and lighter. I really like more mag for LR rigs. Looking at alot of different ones in the 25oz+ range but that new bigger lht is close on the mag (I like 25+) but at 21oz its hard to pass on. Would also put a Ti brake on it. Just over thinking this whole deal but I want to wast time and money... The chassis vs stock is my biggest hangup. If not a xlr I will probably go gunwerks. How long did it take to get your xlr?

Last edited:

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Have you had much experience with the lone peak. I'm super on the fence about Ti actions... I go back and fourth between them and a anTi... Maybe I'm reading to much into it... I have a smaller LHT on a LW kimber 300wsm and its been good. Im actually not a vortex guy, had one cost me a bull a few years back. I decided to try the little 3-15 as it checked a lot of boxes and lighter. I really like more mag for LR rigs. Looking at alot of different ones in the 25oz+ range but that new bigger lht is close on the mag (I like 25+) but at 21oz its hard to pass on. Would also put a Ti brake on it. Just over thinking this whole deal but I want to wast time and money... The chassis vs stock is my biggest hangup. If not a xlr I will probably go gunwerks. How long did it take to get your xlr?
This is my first Ti action. I originally was looking for the AnTi, but couldn't find one in XM length with magnum bolt face. Defiance said it would be around 6 months lead time. Lone Peak was around 6 weeks, so that's what made my decision on the Ti. Most of my parts decision was made based off of availability. For the XLR, I got really lucky. XLR sent a small batch of the first XM length ones to them, and I was lucky enough to snag one. Had I not gotten lucky on that, I probably would have just waited on the AG stock, as XLR said it was around 4 month lead time for the Magnesium if I remember correctly.

Gonna bump this thread. Been talking to a few custom builders about building a 300 PRC on the 4.0 element chassis and have gotten the following different responses:

1) The chassis doesn’t handle recoil well; acts like a tuning fork.
2) The front end of the chassis will bend and make contact with the barrel if you load into the chassis to handle magnum rounds.
3) The chassis with the folder is too heavy and I should look at standard carbon stocks.
4) The chassis isn’t as accurate as standard bedded stocks and won’t handle the recoil as well.
5) Dont use it for magnum rounds, use it for short action calibers.

Can anyone provide input on this? Really would love to have a nice pack rifle in 300 PRC with the folding stock but I also want to make sure it shoots well too and doesn’t knock my shoulder off. Just don’t know if these different builders are letting bias towards traditional stocks create false narratives or are they actually correct?

Any input would be great.

KHNC

WKR
Also, i still have a brand new PRS grip I ordered from XLR in classifieds. I went with Carbon grip instead.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Gonna bump this thread. Been talking to a few custom builders about building a 300 PRC on the 4.0 element chassis and have gotten the following different responses:

2) The front end of the chassis will bend and make contact with the barrel if you load into the chassis to handle magnum rounds.
3) The chassis with the folder is too heavy and I should look at standard carbon stocks.
4) The chassis isn’t as accurate as standard bedded stocks and won’t handle the recoil as well.

Can anyone provide input on this? Really would love to have a nice pack rifle in 300 PRC with the folding stock but I also want to make sure it shoots well too and doesn’t knock my shoulder off. Just don’t know if these different builders are letting bias towards traditional stocks create false narratives or are they actually correct?

1) I don't agree at all. I think they handle recoil very well.
2) He must be stepping on the barrel...
3) You can find carbon stocks that are lighter but will lose functionality and ergonomics. If you look at folding/adjustable carbon stocks you'll see they are heavier than the magnesium/carbon chassis.
4) I haven't experienced that at all.
5) My 300 WSM and 338 Lapua Improved are both in chassis' and are a blast to shoot.

1) I don't agree at all. I think they handle recoil very well.
2) He must be stepping on the barrel...
3) You can find carbon stocks that are lighter but will lose functionality and ergonomics. If you look at folding/adjustable carbon stocks you'll see they are heavier than the magnesium/carbon chassis.
4) I haven't experienced that at all.
5) My 300 WSM and 338 Lapua Improved are both in chassis' and are a blast to shoot.
Awesome man. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone could provide real world opinions on it.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

1) there is an ever so slight ping but not an issue. Just different.
2) get a new gunsmith because he’s obviously has never ran one. There is zero chance of this. I ran a mtu contour on one of my guns and there’s plenty of clearance.
3) do the math, it’s within an ounce or two on the lightest stocks on the market. Even if you did care that much, a cf stock doesn’t fold and isn’t adjustable to fit the shooter. A ton of benefits for 1-2 oz.
4) get a new gunsmith because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Well let me rephrase, are you shooting f class? Bedding might make you go from mid 3s to low 3s. It certainly won’t make a big difference. Oh guess what, you can bed a chassis too. So let’s circle back, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

5) get a new smith or have him elaborate more on this. The only issue with “magnum” rounds is the fact a chassis is limited to the magazine length so calibers like 338 edge will not fit.

Seems to me your smith is bent out of shape he’s not bedding a stock for you. I get it. I have a plumber friend who hates pex because it took the craftsmanship out of the job for him. Pex is hands down better than copper

The benefits (folding buttstock, modularity, fitting of the gun, balancing, fitting multiple members of my family ) of a chassis outweigh a traditional stock for me and there’s still a lot of room for advancement in the industry.