Y’all talk me out of selling my Grendel and putting it towards a new Ruger SFAR

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Just kidding. Enable my gun addiction and help me justify this purchase. I’ve got a 6.5 Grendel with a palmetto stainless upper and a real nice Spikes’s enhanced lower. I liked it just fine, but I’ve become enamored with the SFAR from Ruger.

Really dig the low recoil of the Grendel and one reason I got it was to let my little boy shoot it for deer when he gets ilder (just turned 7). However, I picked up a Hell’s Canyon in 6.5 prc last year at a screaming deal and it comes with a factory muzzle brake. I feel like with the muzzle brake, the prc would probably not kick too much more than the Grendel, right? If so, then my son can shoot that. Or just shoot my AR with the TMK’s. For those that have the SFAR, how’s the recoil in it with the factory muzzle brake?

I really liked the cheap Russian ammo that was available for the grendel, but that has dried up and regular grendel ammo isn’t found everywhere, either. 308 is found everywhere and I already have two other rifles that shoot it.

Finally, I just really like the idea of kicking it around the trails with something a little more substantial than Grendel. Would be nice to have something that could handle the full slate of game in a light, handy, semi-automatic package. Have a nice little Steiner 1-4 lpvo to put in it.

I’ve read back and seen several threads from earlier this year talking about the SFAR. Does anyone have any additional experience/criticisms/praise to add regarding the SFAR?

AXMC

FNG
So what did you end up doing? If you didn't already get one, I'd caution against a SFAR if you're going to have a young shooter behind the trigger. With the factory muzzle brake, the report/concussion is significant, especially on the 16" version. The recoil isn't bad for a 308, but I felt it in my shoulder the next day after only 25 rounds with the factory Magpul stock. Switching to a Daniel Defense buttstock with a thicker recoil pad and a Area 419 Hellfire Match brake helped tame the recoil more, but the blast is still significant and makes we want to put a can on it !
Other than that, I love mine. With a Superlative adjustable gas block and a H2 buffer it's fairly gentle on brass for a gasser (only faint ejector swipes) and is shooting right around m.o.a.
I plan on taking mine out for deer next week.

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
So what did you end up doing? If you didn't already get one, I'd caution against a SFAR if you're going to have a young shooter behind the trigger. With the factory muzzle brake, the report/concussion is significant, especially on the 16" version. The recoil isn't bad for a 308, but I felt it in my shoulder the next day after only 25 rounds with the factory Magpul stock. Switching to a Daniel Defense buttstock with a thicker recoil pad and a Area 419 Hellfire Match brake helped tame the recoil more, but the blast is still significant and makes we want to put a can on it !
Other than that, I love mine. With a Superlative adjustable gas block and a H2 buffer it's fairly gentle on brass for a gasser (only faint ejector swipes) and is shooting right around m.o.a.
I plan on taking mine out for deer next week.
I ended up selling the Grendel and buying a new SFAR. Just got an accupoint 1-6 with the triangle dot and gonna use it as a short to medium range woods gun to ramble around south Georgia with. Planning to sight it in on Friday.

Loper

WKR
Report back after you eight it in, as well as after your hunting season concludes. I’d be curious to know how it performs and how you like it.

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I will, for sure.
Sighted it in this afternoon. I shot half a box of ammo, Barnes 150 grain TTSX, and from the limited amount of time with it, I really liked the way it handled. The muzzle brake certainly tamed the light AR frameand man, that 1-6 Accupoint was sweet on it. I think it will probably be my go to hunting rig here in the Southeast.

AXMC

FNG
I got the 20” SF. Holy cow I like it. 120 rounds first trip out, 100% function. Only put a handful on paper for zero then beat steel. Very nice rifle.
Did you shoot any for groups?
Thanks

WKR
I have a 16" SFAR that I really like. I put a SWFA 6x on it and shot ~70 rounds through it. I have only tried cheap range ammo and federal premium trophy bonded 180's. It's about 2-2.25 moa for 10 with the 180's.

I'm hoping to try again if SILENCER CENTRAL EVER SHIPS MY CAN with lighter rounds to see if the group will tighten up. But for a sub 300 yard gun, it's light and handles nicely.

11boo

WKR
Did you shoot any for groups?
Thanks
No, just looked like a 2” gun with cheap PMC bronze 147. That’s all I’ve tried thus far. Put 3 in 2” at 100, centered, then moved on up the hill. There are 12” plates right behind the 200 yard backers. Don’t think I ever missed them.
A bunch more plates all over out to 600, yeah I missed some of them lol.

IMG_8430.jpeg

IMG_8554.jpegIMG_8553.jpeg