YES!

No more long-range bullet lobbing, no more crossbows, no more 600-yard muzzleloaders.

Finally making people HUNT!

I LOVE their proposed changes and I bet you people's heads are EXPLODING in Utah today. lol

No more long-range bullet lobbing, no more crossbows, no more 600-yard muzzleloaders.

I LOVE their proposed changes and I bet you people's heads are EXPLODING in Utah today. lol
Looks pretty good to me. The two rifle seasons make the most sense to me, but I like limiting the rifles n muzzleloaders.

The proposed changes for rifles/muzzleloaders only apply to the HAMS hunts. The wording is bad in the article. The DWR made several comments on their FB in regards to the proposed changes to equipment that can be used during the HAMS hunts.

OP
MallardSX2
Interesting that they are commenting that its "only hams hunts" when they clearly state that RIFLES will only be allowed to use open sights or peep sights when RIFLES are NOT allowed on the HAMS hunts.........

I wonder if there was some internal confusion on the wording??

OP
MallardSX2
The proposed changes to weapon technologies includes the following:

ARCHERY​

Archery equipment will be considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications:

• The bow must be a single-stringed recurve or a longbow.
  • It must not have sights or any cables, pulleys, cams or attached electronic devices.

MUZZLELOADER​

A muzzleloader will be considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Be equipped only with a flint percussion cap or a musket cap (209 primers and all other modern ignition types are prohibited)
  • Be equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire
  • Be free of any electronic devices
  • Have only open sights or peep sights

ANY WEAPON (RIFLE)​

A rifle will be restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Not be a semi-automatic rifle

HANDGUN​

A handgun is considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Have no more than a single barrel 15 inches or less in length, including the chamber
  • Have a single rear handgrip, without any form of a fixed, detachable, or collapsible buttstock
  • Not have any apparatus or extension behind the rear grip capable of being used to steady the handgun against the body while firing; or a vertical foregrip
  • Be no more than 24 inches in overall length

SHOTGUN​

A shotgun is considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Be 20 gauge or larger
  • Fire only size 00 or larger buckshot or slug ammunition

OP
MallardSX2
"As a result, the DWR is recommending a few changes to only restricted weapons hunts for archery, handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns and rifles, including during the HAMS (handgun, archery, muzzleloader and shotgun) hunts."

I don't have Facebook. So, I don't know what they are backpedaling exactly.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cliff notes?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Proposal changes about everything.

No either sex archery tags, split general season into an early and late 7 day season.

Lower age objectives on every unit to give out more tags.
Shorten any weapons Limited entry hunts to 5 days.
Change tag allocated to early any weapon and move a majority to a mid season which runs during the early general spike hunt.

I find some of the proposal hard to swallow but know something has to be done if my kids are too have any chance at drawing limited entry tag in their lifetime. I see it as a plan where everyone has to give up something now for more opportunities in the future.

Hopefully it's not picked apart by the special interest group and try and screw the public from killing "thier" elk.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The proposed changes to weapon technologies includes the following:

ARCHERY​

Archery equipment will be considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications:

• The bow must be a single-stringed recurve or a longbow.
  • It must not have sights or any cables, pulleys, cams or attached electronic devices.

MUZZLELOADER​

A muzzleloader will be considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Be equipped only with a flint percussion cap or a musket cap (209 primers and all other modern ignition types are prohibited)
  • Be equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire

ANY WEAPON (RIFLE)​

A rifle will be restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Not be a semi-automatic rifle

HANDGUN​

A handgun is considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Have no more than a single barrel 15 inches or less in length, including the chamber
  • Have a single rear handgrip, without any form of a fixed, detachable, or collapsible buttstock
  • Not have any apparatus or extension behind the rear grip capable of being used to steady the handgun against the body while firing; or a vertical foregrip
  • Be no more than 24 inches in overall length

SHOTGUN​

A shotgun is considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Be 20 gauge or larger
  • Fire only size 00 or larger buckshot or slug ammunition

It looks like the HAMS hunts will have a rifle option next year.

All off the weapons limitations state: A rifle/muzzleloader/handgun/archery equipment will be considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications.....

The restrictions for the HAMS hunts are extreme for archery: only recurve bows without sights.

Not trying to start a fight, just trying to make sense of the confusing verbiage.

OP
MallardSX2
Interesting that they are allowing rifles during the HAMS seasons next year. I guess I didn't gather that from my reading anywhere.

Interesting that they are allowing rifles during the HAMS seasons next year. I guess I didn't gather that from my reading anywhere.

If you read the paragraph above the weapons restrictions section you posted it clearly states this:

"As a result, the DWR is recommending a few changes to only restricted weapons hunts for archery, handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns and rifles, including during the HAMS (handgun, archery, muzzleloader and shotgun) hunts. If this recommendation passes, this would allow the DWR to create new restricted weapon hunts in addition to the archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunt types currently allowed for in rule. This recommendation WILL NOT discontinue the current hunt types but would be in addition to them."

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve said it on here many times. I wonder if they stole my idea. I wish Colorado would take 4-5 units in a cluster where animals don’t migrate in or out of the units and make them primitive.

I’d take it farther…

Straight wall cartridges on rifles would be a good start, maybe .35 minimum.

In 4-5 years the age class would be exceptional!

CorbLand

WKR
Proposal changes about everything.

No either sex archery tags, split general season into an early and late 7 day season.

Lower age objectives on every unit to give out more tags.
Shorten any weapons Limited entry hunts to 5 days.
Change tag allocated to early any weapon and move a majority to a mid season which runs during the early general spike hunt.

I find some of the proposal hard to swallow but know something has to be done if my kids are too have any chance at drawing limited entry tag in their lifetime. I see it as a plan where everyone has to give up something now for more opportunities in the future.

Hopefully it's not picked apart by the special interest group and try and screw the public from killing "thier" elk.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Where does it say no either sex archery tags?

Clarification
The proposed change for the weapons technology portion of the proposals would create new definitions for restricted weapons and modify existing HAMS hunt weapons definitions. If this recommendation passes, this would allow us to create new restricted weapon hunts in addition to the archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunt types currently allowed for in rule. This recommendation WILL NOT discontinue the current hunt types but would be in addition to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extrapale

WKR
Huh. I may start applying for Utah again. Have recurve and traditional muzzy and will travel.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk