YES!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where does it say no either sex archery tags?
Did you read the packet? I didn't read it in entirely just watched the 58 minute presentation
He lays the entire plan out for the board.
Archery cows will be a separate
permit and view tags will only be good for the season dates on the permit.

Edited in this tidbit
c1a5c7ba64d2acf2552c6467298fd1c6.jpg

nobody

WKR
The proposed changes to weapon technologies includes the following:

ARCHERY​

Archery equipment will be considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications:

• The bow must be a single-stringed recurve or a longbow.
  • It must not have sights or any cables, pulleys, cams or attached electronic devices.

MUZZLELOADER​

A muzzleloader will be considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Be equipped only with a flint percussion cap or a musket cap (209 primers and all other modern ignition types are prohibited)
  • Be equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire
  • Be free of any electronic devices
  • Have only open sights or peep sights

ANY WEAPON (RIFLE)​

A rifle will be restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Not be a semi-automatic rifle

HANDGUN​

A handgun is considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Have no more than a single barrel 15 inches or less in length, including the chamber
  • Have a single rear handgrip, without any form of a fixed, detachable, or collapsible buttstock
  • Not have any apparatus or extension behind the rear grip capable of being used to steady the handgun against the body while firing; or a vertical foregrip
  • Be no more than 24 inches in overall length

SHOTGUN​

A shotgun is considered restricted if it meets all of the following specifications. It must:

• Be 20 gauge or larger
  • Fire only size 00 or larger buckshot or slug ammunition

You failed to include the first paragraph, which reads (copied and pasted directly from YOUR link):

Proposed amendments to restricted weapons​

The Utah Wildlife Board tasked the DWR with establishing a technology committee to revisit which types of new technologies and weapons should be allowed for hunting in Utah. A diverse committee of various stakeholders was formed to create some updated rules. As a result, the DWR is recommending a few changes to only restricted weapons hunts for archery, handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns and rifles, including during the HAMS (handgun, archery, muzzleloader and shotgun) hunts. If this recommendation passes, this would allow the DWR to create new restricted weapon hunts in addition to the archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunt types currently allowed for in rule. This recommendation WILL NOT discontinue the current hunt types but would be in addition to them.

In other words, the changes they are proposing are to ONLY the restricted weapons hunts (see the bolded portion in the middle of the first paragraph). In other words, they will be adding restricted weapons hunts in addition to the hunts that are currently available (last sentence, that I've bolded and made giant text).

Basically, these "restricted weapons" hunts where guys can hunt like in the good ol' days with lever action 30-30's without having to compete with guys running modern setups and cartridges. So no compound bows in a restricted archery season, no modern rifles with optics and such on a restricted rifle season, and no inline scoped muzzleloaders on a restricted muzzleloader season.

The hunts will still be there, all Utah is proposing is spreading out the pressure by separating guys who want to hunt with old technology into their own hunts, and keeping modern seasons where guys can run their long range rigs, modern muzzleloaders, and modern compound bows. Personally, I'm ok with it. Everybody has their own way of hunting and their own idea of what they do and do not want to do, so just separate those people so they don't have to trip over eachother.

The more I read into everything Utah is doing, it seems like they're trying to go the way of states like Colorado, with more seasons available to draw tags for but each season being shorter.

The DWR is too reliant on hunter participation and money influxes. If they outlawed scoped rifles and made everyone hunt like Wyatt Earp and Davey Crockett, 90% of guys would just jump ship and hunt other states. Which some people would love, because lEsS pReSsUrE or whatever. But there wouldn't be enough money coming in to support the DWR, which would minimize hunting opportunities because they wouldn't have the funding to support the management of the animals. Instead, they're offering opportunities for all by separating guys who want to hunt with different weapons systems. I'm all for it, personally.

nobody

WKR
Lower age objectives on every unit to give out more tags.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Not quite, only on units like the San Juan and Pahvant.

Some of the units that are currently 4.5-5 year old objectives will jump to 5.5-6 year old objective. It almost seems like they're trying to level the trophy quality state wide so it doesn't take 20 years to draw a wasatch tag (12 year old putting in until he's 32, per their presentation) and 94 years to draw a San Juan tag (12 year old putting in until he's 108). Basically, they're trying to average out the entire harvest age and trophy quality in the state to be around 5.5-7 years old, as a statewide average. My guess is they're hoping this helps to spread the pressure out and create a closer equilibrium point where the wait times and such are the same across all units. Again, that's just my guess.

If they also pass the additional seasons and spread out the hunting pressure it could help draw odds too. I will admit, I was PISSED yesterday morning when I saw the announcement, but I watched/listened in depth to their presentation on the elk a few times yesterday and I must say, it does seem like the most solid proposed change plan I've EVER seen from the Utah DWR.

For anybody who cares, I sent a detailed email to Dax Milburn (guy who gave the presentation on the elk) requesting some additional info and to answer some concerns (like projected effects on future calf crops, cow numbers, etc.). I got an automatic reply from him saying he's on vacation until tomorrow and will reply to emails when he gets back, so I can keep anyone who cares updated on what he says.

CorbLand

WKR
Did you read the packet? I didn't read it in entirely just watched the 58 minute presentation
He lays the entire plan out for the board.
Archery cows will be a separate
permit and view tags will only be good for the season dates on the permit.

Edited in this tidbit
c1a5c7ba64d2acf2552c6467298fd1c6.jpg
Yea, I read the packet and didnt see anything about no cow hunts or option but with the week I am having it could have been bolded, and flashing and I would still miss it.

CorbLand

WKR
You failed to include the first paragraph, which reads (copied and pasted directly from YOUR link):

Proposed amendments to restricted weapons​

The Utah Wildlife Board tasked the DWR with establishing a technology committee to revisit which types of new technologies and weapons should be allowed for hunting in Utah. A diverse committee of various stakeholders was formed to create some updated rules. As a result, the DWR is recommending a few changes to only restricted weapons hunts for archery, handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns and rifles, including during the HAMS (handgun, archery, muzzleloader and shotgun) hunts. If this recommendation passes, this would allow the DWR to create new restricted weapon hunts in addition to the archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunt types currently allowed for in rule. This recommendation WILL NOT discontinue the current hunt types but would be in addition to them.

In other words, the changes they are proposing are to ONLY the restricted weapons hunts (see the bolded portion in the middle of the first paragraph). In other words, they will be adding restricted weapons hunts in addition to the hunts that are currently available (last sentence, that I've bolded and made giant text).

Basically, these "restricted weapons" hunts where guys can hunt like in the good ol' days with lever action 30-30's without having to compete with guys running modern setups and cartridges. So no compound bows in a restricted archery season, no modern rifles with optics and such on a restricted rifle season, and no inline scoped muzzleloaders on a restricted muzzleloader season.

The hunts will still be there, all Utah is proposing is spreading out the pressure by separating guys who want to hunt with old technology into their own hunts, and keeping modern seasons where guys can run their long range rigs, modern muzzleloaders, and modern compound bows. Personally, I'm ok with it. Everybody has their own way of hunting and their own idea of what they do and do not want to do, so just separate those people so they don't have to trip over eachother.

The more I read into everything Utah is doing, it seems like they're trying to go the way of states like Colorado, with more seasons available to draw tags for but each season being shorter.

The DWR is too reliant on hunter participation and money influxes. If they outlawed scoped rifles and made everyone hunt like Wyatt Earp and Davey Crockett, 90% of guys would just jump ship and hunt other states. Which some people would love, because lEsS pReSsUrE or whatever. But there wouldn't be enough money coming in to support the DWR, which would minimize hunting opportunities because they wouldn't have the funding to support the management of the animals. Instead, they're offering opportunities for all by separating guys who want to hunt with different weapons systems. I'm all for it, personally.
Its been a week from hell so I could be wrong but I think that first paragraph was added/expanded upon since this was posted. They have added clarification to that page since it was originally posted due to confusion. I had to read it a couple times to understand that the restricted weapons were new seasons/hunts. The bolded part was not there the first time I read it.

nobody

WKR
Its been a week from hell so I could be wrong but I think that first paragraph was added/expanded upon since this was posted. They have added clarification to that page since it was originally posted due to confusion. I had to read it a couple times to understand that the restricted weapons were new seasons/hunts. The bolded part was not there the first time I read it.
That's fair. I remember it being there yesterday when I read it which is what made me reconsider my rage and actually listen to the presentations, but it could've been added in the morning or something.