Your apparel layering technique?

The FNG again here. Wanted to know what you guys like and use for apparel when hunting the Rockies in late September. Any brands of merino you like? What layering system do you prefer? I'm not a Sitka guy mostly because I don't like the price but are there any other brands you like that are decent without the high price tag. I will likely only be using this gear for a couple weeks every other year or so.

Anyone like SlumberJack apparel? ( I know I can get a good discount from them)

Also looking for recommendations on boots.

Thank you for the help.

You can get by with a standard layering system. I use mostly Sitka, but if I couldn't afford it then you can still get by with plenty of other options. If I had a buddy just getting into bow hunting on a tight budget, then I would recommend the things below. For the most part I use everything below for scouting/backpacking/shed hunting.

Base-layer - Synthetic or merino (Black Ovis or Costco)
Mid layer - lightweight fleece (Eddie Bauer or REI)
Insulation - Puffy (Costco)
Hard shell - Rain gear top (Marmot PreCip)

Bottom
Pant - Prana's or Eddie Bauer Guide
Hard shell - rain gear bottom (Marmot PreCip)

This is about as affordable as possible while still being safe. Spend your money on good boots and a good pack. Camo doesn't matter, but do get earth tones.

ChrisAU

WKR
Pretty simple system that seemed to work for this FNG this past year:

Hiked in wearing a short sleeve merino shirt (was a Kuiu, will be a FL this year, doesn't really matter).

If I got chilly, I threw on a heavier weight long sleeve merino quick zip (was BO, again will be FL this year).

If I got colder (which didn't happen unless I was sitting still glassing or taking a meal break), I threw on my puffy.

If rain threatened or it got windy, I put on my rain jacket.

Those 4 pieces covered me completely, and I walked in wearing one of them.

As for bottoms:

Hiked in wearing corrugate guide pants. I like a tough pant because my brain takes me places my legs would hate to go if I was wearing shorts or a fragile pant ha. But I'd suggest a light pant. Even in 40* weather hiking with a load produces plenty of heat, for me at least.

I also carried two pair of zip off long johns from Kuiu, one in a light Merino for next to skin, it was the first to go on if I thought I would be cold. I could put it on without removing my boots, or take it off.

If I thought it was going to be even colder, I'd also put on a heavier Kuiu synthetic pair.

For sitting still for long periods I had my puffy pants that zip on and off.

If it rained or got really windy, I put on my rain pants, which also zipped on and off.

You can get by with a standard layering system. I use mostly Sitka, but if I couldn't afford it then you can still get by with plenty of other options. If I had a buddy just getting into bow hunting on a tight budget, then I would recommend the things below. For the most part I use everything below for scouting/backpacking/shed hunting.

Bottom

This is about as affordable as possible while still being safe. Spend your money on good boots and a good pack. Camo doesn't matter, but do get earth tones.

Completely agree with everything said here. I use the same layering system just with different brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottom

This is spot on. His recommended brands will work, but so will many others.

I prefer merino base layers, and some guys will have a heavier merino as a second layer but I like a light fleece.

The above with and extra par of undies and an extra pair of socks is all you need for just about anything you will see in September.

I also bring a ball cap and a beanie and a merino neck gator.

Sturgeon

WKR
The smartwool baselayer tops and bottoms have actually been my favorite as far as feel, though I don't care for their socks as much. First Lite and Icebreaker are pretty solid too for baselasyers. Kuiu wool I don't like as much.

Backcountry hunter 2 is pretty spot on if you are packing in. If doing daytrips were there isn't any precip forecasted tops I ran LS merino, Lightweight fleece mid(wool or poly) and hooded softshell. Bottoms I just ran Prana Zions or First Lite Guide pants with just boxer briefs. If it was cooler I ran longer socks and briefs that would almost touch. This was great when temps started out in mid 20s to low 30s and got up to mid 50-60s during the day.

Second this- also bring a ball cap and a beanie and a merino neck gator
I have no experience with Slumberjack apparel, I find most of my stuff on Sierra Trading Post or Rokslide classifieds for pretty reasonable prices.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lightweight merino base tops and bottoms, microfleece mock-T, lightweight poly camo shirt and pants.........covers 95% of my September elk hunting. Rain jacket as needed, but rarely ever needed. Heavier fleece jacket.......sometimes. And that's it.

11boo

WKR
You can get away with most anything that time of year, a lightweight gore shell is always in the pack. Silk long bottoms are kinda nice, still too hot some days though.

Beendare

WKR
Mostly I wear a merino boxer with Kuiu Attack pants.

Upper I use merino base, usually a cheap short sleeve T from somewhere like Sierra trading [Red ram or Icebreaker] then another camp merino LS T like the Kuiu zip T
Mid I like 200/300 fleece

Most times I'm out of camp in that^
Puffy JIC- In my pack, I rarely wear unless I'm stopped for awhile or at camp

Rain gear of course- Kuiu is the best either the NX or whatever they call the light stuff as its more packable....or Chugash

Merino socks- REI or Darn tough, Kuiu gaiter

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I typically hunt from truck or truck camp. Sept. I leave wearing merino or synthetic tshirt if climbing a lot or if it's warmer. If cooler or once I get to where I am hunting I throw on my light merino base or sitka Apex before cooling off from hike in. Typically hunt most the day like this. If I sit down I typically add a mid weight fleece. Always carry light puffy in pack. Rain jacket depends on forecast.

Bottoms I wear Sitka Apex pants in September or 90% pants during early rifle seasons. Base layer bottoms would be overkill for me in September and rarely use base layer bottoms during 1st or 2nd rifle season, but 2018 probably would have been the exception.

I rarely sit for more then 20ish minutes unless it is during the middle of the day in the sun.

During September just about anything will work. If not packing in, rain gear is pretty optional in my opinion. I dont carry rain pants at all. If the forecast is that bad I probably wont be out but I can hunt all season. If I traveled to hunt I would be hunting rain or shine every day and probably carrying rain gear more often. Most the time you can just hunker down under a thick clump of trees and stay dry. I waited out a 3hr storm this season this way and stayed pretty dry. I always have a plastic trash bag in my pack for packing meat out if it gets bad I can drape it over me. Typically these storms are when the light synthetic puffy comes out. It cools off a lot in the dark timber and is the only time I sit for extended periods.

I really like the Sitka and First lite stuff I have but would never pay retail for it. With some patience in the classifieds you can get good deals. I also have some Prana Zion pants that are great pants and way cheaper then some hunting specific stuff. Also look at some of the backpacking/mountaineering clothing for good technical clothing that can be cheaper then the hunting brands.

Last edited:

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
BCH2 nailed it with his response but here is my twist. Last year in my planning, (first time) for me on an out west hunt I had some low cost and higher end base layers. I really liked the First Lite merino on my skin. The cost is high but damn is it a good feel. After a couple of scout hikes in both the lower end and higher end wool it was noticeable to me. After that I never took the first lite base layer off. I also liked a quarter zip base layer top since it was easy to just un zip during my hike in and vent out some of that heat, without needing to take off a layer if you overdressed. My advice is to spend the most money on the piece that will be touching your skin and for that I do prefer a high end merino. The place to save is the outerwear in my opinion.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I really liked the First Lite merino on my skin. The cost is high but damn is it a good feel. After a couple of scout hikes in both the lower end and higher end wool it was noticeable to me. After that I never took the first lite base layer off.

My merino base layers stay on 24/7 when I'm elk hunting.......tops and bottoms. But I sold all my First Lite as I like Icebreaker and Minus 33 better.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
You can certainly follow the advice here. But you can go cheaper. Personally after trying a dozen top brands of base layers I’ve decided I like LLBean mid weight merino and Woolx heavyweight merino for base layers. Just like how they perform - the feel on my skin, ability to wick sweat, speed to dry, warmth when wet with sweat, how they hold up to wear and tear and how each holds it shape after washing and drying. I’ve tried Sitka, UnderArmour, Kryptek, Helly Hansen, Smartwool, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, Ice Breakers, Minus33, etc, etc, etc. LLBean and Woolx work best for me.

If you want camo pants, I find the Kryptek Dalibor pants are extremely durable, comfortable and most importantly quiet (if I need something heavier I wear Sitka Timberline or a handful of other pants I have). Can find them on sale often. But if I wanted to go less expensive and still have good pants, I’d try UnderArmour (I have some and ive got no complaints) or I’d use the synthetic 5.11 pants. I’ve hunted and put an elk in the truck using 5.11s and they are not expensive. Durable as hell and won’t retain moisture.

For tops, I often wear a Helly Hansen zip neck mid weight fleece top over the merino. Extremely light weight. Wicks better than any other top I’ve tried (I’ve tried UnderArmour, Sitka, Kryptek, Patagonia, Mammut, Karbon, Mountain Hardwear and The North Face). It’s cheap and it works. Keeps me dry and warm. I then wear any number of soft shells. My favorites are the Kryptek Dalibor and the Sitka Jetstream. But I’ve worn a Cabelas outfitter windproof fleece and put an elk in the truck. I’ve also worn softshells from many outdoor companies including a cheap one from LLbean that is awesome. Quiet. Cheap and very durable. Water resistant and wicks well. Don’t remember model name. Watch the sales at Steep and Cheap, Sierra Trading, Moosejaw and others and you can get a good softshell from Columbia, Marmot, The North Face and others. Get an Earth tone and it’ll work.

For an insulation layer I’d add a synthetic puffy or one with DWR down and a DWR outer treatment. Costco had a Marmot with DWR down and DWR outer treatment for $60 back in January. I believe it was a 700 full power jacket. Was nice. Had it in gray, dark blue and black. Am sure that the same websites above will offer good options. My current favorites are the Sitka Kelvin jacket, Kryptek Aquillo and the Patagonia nanopuff depending on how cold it will be.

I usually wear a baseball cap and carry a wool beanie. I also bring the Kryptek Norlander gloves which are no longer made but available in the company’s outlet online. Awesome gloves. I also like Outdoor Research and Black Diamond gloves. I’m sure there are others to wear.

I have Sitka, Kryptek and Patagonia Goretex Pro rainwear. First few years Hunting I took LLBean packable rain gear. Worked perfectly. Wasn’t too loud. Very packable. Light weight and kept me dry. I also have a set of Marmot Precip. In my opinion LLBean’s version is better and more durable. Look for sales.

I prefer Darn Tough socks. Look for them at Marshall’s if you don’t want to drop money on them. They are great.

If you want to go full matching camo check Under Armou’s outlet Good stuff. Not terribly expensive. Doesn’t get a lot of love here but I hunt with a couple guides who only wear UA. Also, Camofire has Browning’s Hell’s Canyon on sale today. Good stuff. Not terribly expensive but made well and it works.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Base-layer - Merino - costco or icebreaker
Mid layer - merino - first lite kiln * I stop here if there's no precip and above 25F, once I start moving I'm toasty in this.
Insulation - fleece pullover or light down vest
Hard shell - depends on weather/precip: sitka 90%, badlands exo, first lite seak

Bottom
Underwear - merino - saxx merino (very soft, not itchy!)
Base-layer - merino (only when below 25F) - icebreaker 200 wt
Pant - sitka timberline pants or lighter weight hiker pants if weather is warm.
Hard shell - badlands exo pants

socks - always wool, different weights weather/activity dependent

wool beanie or cap or both - again weather dependent

I avoid all synthetics for base layers as they stink like holy hell once I start sweating, dunno if the animals care, but the smell is revolting to me.

As soon as you start sweating, take a layer off immediately, and it's good to start cold when heading out, you'll warm up quick, especially with a pack on.

prm

WKR
This is for first through fourth rifle in CO.
Base layer: Patagonia capilene
Mid: Kuiu peleton 240
Insulation: Arc’teryx Atom LT
Real warmth: Kifaru Lost Park

For the warmer archery season I would consider swapping out the Atom for a Sitka Kelvin Active. Consider First Lite Aerowool base layer if concerned about smell.

OP
Novemberfest
Thank you everyone for the replies. I got the idea of what I need to bring. If you are (truck) camping, is anyone bringing an extra set of clothes to change into at camp or are you using just wearing the same stuff day after day?
I have a lot of brands to check out but also got a long time until September.

prm

WKR
What he said.^^^

If camped at truck you may as well be comfortable! That goes for clothes, food, chairs, etc.

If hiking in to camp I take an extra pair of socks and underwear.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you are (truck) camping, is anyone bringing an extra set of clothes to change into at camp or are you using just wearing the same stuff day after day?

I'll usually wear the same merino base layers for a week at a time, but my camo is poly based and it gets sweated out as well during archery so I change it out every couple days. But I always have extras of everything for a truck camp.