Your Mule Deer Questions: Podcast

What is the preferred tactic(s) for hunting deer in the thick timber of NW Montana and N Idaho? Doesn't seem to be much info out there on hunting this habitat besides to just still hunt. What landscape features would a person want to seek out while scouting this type of terrain?

Which bucks got away that still haunt him (not counting Jalapeño) and why?
How big is the biggest buck he’s ever seen alive and in person?

JDZ

WKR
Where should you be at first light with a bow in the first week of September?

Where should you be at first light with a rifle in October?

Where should you be at first light with a rifle in mid November?

Myandelta

FNG
With all the wildfires being reported, NM being of particular concern for me, how soon after a burn would you expect the unit to be good to hunt? I.e. how long before deer are likely to move back into a recent burn area?

lak2004

WKR
Difference in season dates as far as where to focus efforts (elevation, aspect, etc)?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Robby and Jordan, can you please share your thoughts on unguided wilderness drops camps? Are these types of hunting situations conducive to killing big mule deer (180''+) or are they more appropriate for the hunter who just wants to fill a tag on a legal buck? Is it true that the drop camps are put in poor locations so that the guided hunters can have the best areas?

What would you attempt to hunt an October buck that always has the wind in his face whenever he moves, and is never in open enough country for a distant shot? I.E. under 100 yards of visibility

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Why are elk so much better than Muledeer? Better eating, better looking and, a bigger rack....

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is awesome you guys! An entire podcast right here just reading these questions.

@Jordan Budd , I think we should just do that! These guys have the best questions on social media (some of the ones we get on IG/FB make me wanna shake my head) and almost everyone so far is a good question we can answer.

your call.
You bet, we’re only doing these Q’s!

Pro953

WKR
Spike camp location selection & How close is too close.

All to often we hear, “the guy blew out the whole basin”. How do I, not be that guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the best use of time and money, hunt every year in 0 point units or hunt every two or three years in a bit higher point units?

Costs are high and maximizing time in the mountains is at a premium.

archp625

WKR
In case you guys haven't started the podcast I have a comment and a question.

Comment: You guys are awesome and Congratulations to Jordan!!!!

Question: What are some tactics to hunt high desert mule deer in the rut. This would be for rifle season. I have hunted them in this terrain and have been successful but I am curious if you have any additional info.

Thanks.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I consider Robby an expert mule deer hunter because of his body of work. Today I see lots of so-called expert mule deer hunters that shoot very average deer. Who does Robby look up to in the mule deer world?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@robby denning , any advice for success in a crowded unit with overlapping seasons? Let’s say mature bucks only. I know it’s not ideal scenario but that’s the reality for many.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I consider Robby an expert mule deer hunter because of his body of work. Today I see lots of so-called expert mule deer hunters that shoot very average deer. Who does Robby look up to in the mule deer world?
Lampers. Latturner & Ulmer