Zero Drop Hunting Boot

Further

FNG
I'm thinking I may give the Vivobarefoot Trackers a try this next year. I really like the Primus FG shoes for trail running so I might as well try the boots as well. If anyone wants to order anything from Vivo, use my link below and you can get 25% off your order if you've never bought from them before. If you order using that link I'll get 25% of my next order as well. No pressure, but maybe it helps someone else who was on the fence about ordering.

25% off Vivobarefoot Link Plug in my name: (Tyrell Wall) if asked for a referral
Thanks for providing the 25% discount link--I used it and ordered this morning.

mnaylo3

FNG
I'm thinking I may give the Vivobarefoot Trackers a try this next year. I really like the Primus FG shoes for trail running so I might as well try the boots as well. If anyone wants to order anything from Vivo, use my link below and you can get 25% off your order if you've never bought from them before. If you order using that link I'll get 25% off my next order as well. No pressure, but maybe it helps someone else who was on the fence about ordering.

25% off Vivobarefoot Link Plug in my name: (Tyrell Wall) if asked for a referral
Just used the code for a pair of Tracker forest ESC to replace some altra lone peak mids- thanks! The new altra all weather are so expensive and considering my previous durability experience with them, it was a no brainer to pay a couple extra bucks for these leather boots. Only the black leather was available, so hopefully it performs similarly to the brown leather that everyone is having good luck with. Will report back after some use.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Guys with the new vivo barefoots, how would you say the fit is? True to size? I wear a 12 in Merrels and Lems, wondering if these run big or small however?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Guys with the new vivo barefoots, how would you say the fit is? True to size? I wear a 12 in Merrels and Lems, wondering if these run big or small however?

I haven't tried their boots yet but I've owned several pairs of Vivobarefoot shoes and they seem to run true to size for me. They have a wider toe box, similar to Altras, but I wear a 13 in both of those brands.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ledflight

WKR
Friends, I just put up my pair of Otz on the classifieds here. Great shape, lotta tread left. Just too big for my feet. Really like this brand but it's not an active company anymore. Foot shape for sure.

Nice. FYI russel is extremely behind for some reason. I ordered and put half down on my "winter" boots from them i think in august or September and was told delivery ETA was before xmas. Just called to check in last week my boots are still another 2-3 months out from delivery lol

ledflight

WKR
Looks like Lems has a winterized boot coming out this year. I will be very interested as I need something to wear in the snow that's less than a pac boot.
I noticed the don't show a pic of this new boot all rolled up like they usually do so there's a chance this boot as a little more heft to it while maintaining the zero drop + foot shaped form.

Voyageur

WKR
Looks like Lems has a winterized boot coming out this year. I will be very interested as I need something to wear in the snow that's less than a pac boot.
I noticed the don't show a pic of this new boot all rolled up like they usually do so there's a chance this boot as a little more heft to it while maintaining the zero drop + foot shaped form.
Interesting.
Please report back if you get a pair.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Kinda like the look of those new Lems. I hunted last year in a pair of Lems Boulder boots. I was pleasantly surprised with how well they've held up compared to some other options I had tried in the past. I really liked them, however, the slick sole on the Boulder boots can damn near get you killed in the elk terrain I was hunting! Looks like these have some tread. Theres a shoe store near me that carries Lems, so hopefully they'll get some of these in stock this summer so I can see them first hand.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Lucky if you can try in person!
New Lems show a stack height of 16mm compared to 10mm on their boulder boot.

Yeah I saw that. I prefer to be closer to the ground really. It reminds me a couple years ago, I had been hiking and running in Merrell trail gloves all summer but went hunting in a new pair of altra lone peaks. I felt like I was walking on platforms and kept falling and busting my ass, LOL.

I actually spoke with the guys at Lathrop and Sons about a zero drop boot when I ordered my Mtn Hiunter's. I also have gone to wearing mostly zero drop footwear for most activities ... but not my hunting boots. The point L&S made was that you could be asking for serious trouble to put that much added strain on your Achilles when that pack is loaded down ... as in packing out an animal. I haven't had any issues going back and forth between my boots and other footwear even after day after day of long/steep terrain with a heavy pack and as such I ditched the idea of seeking zero drop in a boot. - FWIW

My response to them would be "my achilles always seems fine after deadlifting and back squatting 400lbs; why should an 80.lb pack out be more strenuous?"

ledflight

WKR
Yeah I saw that. I prefer to be closer to the ground really. It reminds me a couple years ago, I had been hiking and running in Merrell trail gloves all summer but went hunting in a new pair of altra lone peaks. I felt like I was walking on platforms and kept falling and busting my ass, LOL.

Gotcha. While I have all zero drop footwear, they do vary in height a little and it doesn't bother me much.
I tried on a pair of cross trainers recently with a "low" heel toe drop of 4mm and felt like I was falling forward.

PlanoDano

FNG
Tyrells coupon link from post 106 still works for 25% off on vivobarefoot. Thanks Tyrell.

I have a little nerve damage weakening one ankle. I have a tendency to turn that ankle but never turn it in minimalist shoes. I have been using five fingers for other activities but am going to give the Tracker a try for hunting. I was kind of wondering if the Magma might be a better option as I typically avoid waterproof membranes in outdoor boots.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My response to them would be "my achilles always seems fine after deadlifting and back squatting 400lbs; why should an 80.lb pack out be more strenuous?"
Because you're not side-hilling or going up and down steep hills while you're dead lifting. That's flat and stationary. Two completely different scenarios.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I remember seeing a pic years ago from Everest, of these US/European guys going up a steep rocky section, all wearing heavy plastic mountaineering boots. Right behind them, a Sherpa with what looks like a 100 pound pack and he’s wearing flip flops, LOL

Now I’m not advocating hunting in flip flops, but if you are hiking and working out and conditioning your body to be comfortable in minimalist footwear, you realize you don’t necessarily need heavy boots for “support”

BBob

WKR
Experience with several Vivos. Good running shoes, but they don’t have great traction on the hikers.
They’ve added more options since 2018 ;) Vivo with the Michelin ESC sole is fairly aggressively lugged and does well. You’ll need strong feet regardless to wear any Vivo with loads.

I find them to be true to size to everything else I wear but if you’re not used to shoes like them they may feel loose. Use their measuring tool and do it two or three times for an average or just measure your foot and follow the recommendations and you’ll get the fit they state.

Attachments

• E269ED52-58BA-41E1-BA90-F5C6393DE3D1.jpeg
    E269ED52-58BA-41E1-BA90-F5C6393DE3D1.jpeg
    569.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Anyone running zero drops and putting in a different insole to get more arch support. Seems that most of these have no real arch support. My arch shave been falling over the last few years and I feel better with insoles in. Also with minimal footwear, does heel pain eventually go away? I have found the few time I have worn minimalist wear my heal is in pain. This could be because my gate has not changed from a heal strike to landing on the ball of my foot yet.

I did not look all the way through the thread. Anyone used Oboz?

Voyageur

WKR
@Forestryguy I'm not a runner, but rather a hunter and backpacker. With me it was not heel pain but rather pain in the ball of my foot. It took 3 or 4 years of transition to zero drop shoes. Initially I tried to start out using minimalist zero drop shoes in all my outdoor activities and it was too much for my feet, hence the aforementioned foot pain. I backed off my expectations and switched to using the zero drop shoes for less strenuous daily wear to allow my feet time to adapt. I also eventually came to the conclusion that I needed something more cushioned than a bare bones minimalist shoe. For me that shoe was Altra Lone Peaks for trail use and Altra Provisions for daily wear. Since that transitional period there has been no more foot pain. In summary, for me, the keys were time to adapt and more than minimal foot cushioning. Everyone is different.
Hope this helps.