Zero Drop Hunting Boot

Stalker69

WKR
Russell makes them. They are spendy. I have not tried them, but wanted to. Russell boots are made in WI not too far from me.

I run in low drop minimal shoes but still prefer some arch support and a little drop in my boots. Feels like cheating when I strap on my mountain extremes when going from a pair of beat up inov8s
I have a pair of Russell thula thula, they are comfortable, but I have to send them back every two years for re-stitching. I only wear them 10 days out of the year, hunting javelina and pigs in Texas, and the stitching flat ass don’t last. I won’t buy another pair for hunting, casual wear maybe. Hunting no way, it’s 165.00 each time I send them back. And I too am still in search of flat soled hunting boot myself.

Last edited:
In the beginning of this thread I wrote that I was looking for an all leather minimal boot with good traction. I’ve been wearing the Vivobarefoot Tracker Forest Esc’s this year. I’m between 45-50 days in them in the Rocky Mountain west. Mostly mountains and badlands. From single digit temps to well over 100°. Rocks, shale, snow, mud, sand. With up to and over 100lb packs.

View attachment 344112
View attachment 344113
Being that I’ve only seen and used one pair for a relatively short time period, I’m not making any suggestion. However, this is the first pair of shoes I’ve worn hunting the mountains where my feet have been totally dry. Every other pair, whether from leaking or being wet from sweat, my feet remain soaked. The tread is excellent. The fit is good. No durability issues so far.
That's great to hear, they looked good when they came in, I was dithering whether to reorder in a smaller size specifically on the waterproof aspect.

Voyageur

WKR
In the beginning of this thread I wrote that I was looking for an all leather minimal boot with good traction. I’ve been wearing the Vivobarefoot Tracker Forest Esc’s this year. I’m between 45-50 days in them in the Rocky Mountain west. Mostly mountains and badlands. From single digit temps to well over 100°. Rocks, shale, snow, mud, sand. With up to and over
Appreciate your report on the Vivo Tracker boots. Please report back again in a few months.

ledflight

WKR
In the beginning of this thread I wrote that I was looking for an all leather minimal boot with good traction. I’ve been wearing the Vivobarefoot Tracker Forest Esc’s this year. I’m between 45-50 days in them in the Rocky Mountain west. Mostly mountains and badlands. From single digit temps to well over 100°. Rocks, shale, snow, mud, sand. With up to and over 100lb packs.

Being that I’ve only seen and used one pair for a relatively short time period, I’m not making any suggestion. However, this is the first pair of shoes I’ve worn hunting the mountains where my feet have been totally dry. Every other pair, whether from leaking or being wet from sweat, my feet remain soaked. The tread is excellent. The fit is good. No durability issues so far.
You must have very strong healthy feet

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered a pair of Vivobarefoot Tracker All Weather SG’s. See how they work out for everyday world and hiking in the hills.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

twall13

WKR
I'm thinking I may give the Vivobarefoot Trackers a try this next year. I really like the Primus FG shoes for trail running so I might as well try the boots as well. If anyone wants to order anything from Vivo, use my link below and you can get 25% off your order if you've never bought from them before. If you order using that link I'll get 25% off my next order as well. No pressure, but maybe it helps someone else who was on the fence about ordering.

25% off Vivobarefoot Link Plug in my name: (Tyrell Wall) if asked for a referral

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
Thanks @twall13 for that discount. Like many on this thread, Ive run into foot, ankle, and calf problems with traditional footwear. Started wearing zero drops last year, and just got the altra lone peak 5s. Looking forward to wearing them a lot as I retrain my legs. Already noticed significantly less stress on my calves.

My issues are tight calves, rolling left ankle, my right foot had capsulitis of the second toe (healed), and both big toes went numb in new crispi boots - not enough toe room. Should have ordered a wide.

Now Im looking at alternatives so hoping to keep this thread alive. I put in hard miles, deep in the mtns, and wouldnt mind a well cushioned yet minimal drop boot with really good ankle support. Some good ideas in here and so far the vivo seems to be the closest thing. Will continue training my feet in the altras and keep an eye out for next year.

I noticed I havent had any issues in my winter boots - a pair of the old cabela’s meindl’s. May have to give them another shot and sell the crispis. The meindl’s are exceptionally roomy and have great ankle support. Lots of padding under foot and the drop doesnt feel huge, not sure what it actually is though.

Appreciate all of your insights! Looking forward to more knowledge and reviews.

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
Actually they canceled my order so I’m still working on getting a pair ordered.

Actually they canceled my order so I’m still working on getting a pair ordered.

Bummer. I’m am waffling on these or the Tracker ESC. Would really like to try both before deciding. I ordered a different pair of Vivo’s in August and it took them a month to get here.

I have the tracker sg's if you guys are talking about the snow ones, they're pretty good. They are alot stiffer with a taller tread on the soles than the regular trackers, they are insulated so they're way too hot for me unless its cold out. Used them for a backcountry snowshoe trip last year, they kept me warm while moving but if i was stationary for a long time my feet would get cold eventually. If the insulated russels i ordered don't come by the end of December I'll be taking the vivo sg's on another backcountry snowshoe trip

Moserkr

WKR
I have the tracker sg's if you guys are talking about the snow ones, they're pretty good. They are alot stiffer with a taller tread on the soles than the regular trackers, they are insulated so they're way too hot for me unless its cold out. Used them for a backcountry snowshoe trip last year, they kept me warm while moving but if i was stationary for a long time my feet would get cold eventually. If the insulated russels i ordered don't come by the end of December I'll be taking the vivo sg's on another backcountry snowshoe trip
Did those actually keep your feet dry? Wondering how good their waterproofing actually works…. Also wondering with both the boots if you have some padding underfoot so you dont feel like you’re walking barefoot in gravel.

B

Brando'

Not waterproof but I highly recommend JK Boots. They made me a custom zero drop leather boot. Very expensive but worth it to me. I have odd shaped feet and always have a hard time finding boots off the shelf that fit right. These are all leather, no liner. I wear them for work as a forester in the Appalachians, while on wildfires out west or prescribed fires locally, and all during hunting season. I carry heavy loads for work, while on fires, and while backpack hunting in steep terrain and love the boots. When these wear out I'll buy another pair. I have other boots I'll pull out when weather turns. Very tough boots and also very comfortable.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Not waterproof but I highly recommend JK Boots. They made me a custom zero drop leather boot. Very expensive but worth it to me. I have odd shaped feet and always have a hard time finding boots off the shelf that fit right. These are all leather, no liner. I wear them for work as a forester in the Appalachians, while on wildfires out west or prescribed fires locally, and all during hunting season. I carry heavy loads for work, while on fires, and while backpack hunting in steep terrain and love the boots. When these wear out I'll buy another pair. I have other boots I'll pull out when weather turns. Very tough boots and also very comfortable.
That sounds interesting after checking out their website. Mind sharing some pics of the ones you had made?

orion_

FNG
I'm also very interested in how the Tracker ESC boots work out. I've been craving the Tracker FG for ages, and these seem like a great update.

Up thread someone mentioned zero drop shoes being a poor choice for heavy load hauling - what's the rationale behind that? I've worn zero drop trail running shoes for all outdoor excursions (albeit mostly with less than 50lbs on) and my feet have been fine. My knees on the other hand... but that's probably a whole different story.

I'm also very interested in how the Tracker ESC boots work out. I've been craving the Tracker FG for ages, and these seem like a great update.

Up thread someone mentioned zero drop shoes being a poor choice for heavy load hauling - what's the rationale behind that? I've worn zero drop trail running shoes for all outdoor excursions (albeit mostly with less than 50lbs on) and my feet have been fine. My knees on the other hand... but that's probably a whole different story.
I feel like i have strong feet and ankles, but ive had no problems packing out 90lb loads with my russels or vivo trackers. I just couldn't get the trackers to hold up for me, they replaced mine several times cause they leaked horribly and/or started falling apart on me from real heavy off trail use so i dont trust them anymore lol. And these were almost new boots every time it happened. The ESC's look better but i 100% think that they would also leak or fall apart on me with the way i hunt and how wet it can get here. If they work for others thats awesome cause they're less than half the price of russels and arent custom

Titan_Bow

WKR

I’ve packed out many animals with zero drop shoes or boots. I think the concern and issues come when you are not 100% “acclimated” to minimal zero drop footwear. I’ve been wearing this style of footwear for almost a decade now, so what would be a bad idea for me would be the packing with traditional footwear LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orion_

FNG
I’ve packed out many animals with zero drop shoes or boots. I think the concern and issues come when you are not 100% “acclimated” to minimal zero drop footwear. I’ve been wearing this style of footwear for almost a decade now, so what would be a bad idea for me would be the packing with traditional footwear LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That jives with my experience with work boots, definitely feel it when I'm packing in tools and gear with my red wings, but that's forestry life for you (if you know any chainsaw crew compatible zero drop work boots I'm all ears!)

Also, does anyone have experience with feelmax kuuva's? Also on my radar right now, and the price compares favorably to vivobarefoot's options.