Zero Yardage for Long Range Hunting

jmden

WKR
A 100y zero doesn’t reduce any additional variables for sighting in. You still have to confirm your data if you are hunting responsibly at distance. The data you get from 200y won’t be any less accurate... it just might indicate you need to spend more time behind your rifle.

Yes it does. There are inherently less variables when taking shorter shot at 100 yds for zero than at 200 yds for zero.

The point here it to get the best zero data you can. The likelihood of introducing more variables at 200 yds when shooting for precision zero (wind, updraft, downdraft, etc. you don't/can't notice that might induce a POI shift to your zero). I used to fight this idea as well, but finally realized that a 100 yd zero is simply, generally, theoretically going to be more reliable data. Dialing with a reliably tracking (tested) scope from there is probably the best option for best precision and accuracy.

Everyone has their Jesus so go with what works. Haven’t had an issue with a 200yd zero and the difference between 100 and 200 isn’t enough to where I think it matters.

I will go back and shoot it at 100yd to check my ballistic calc... so I know exactly how high I am and that lets me know everything else is good too before I stretch it out the other way.

OP
L
I’m fully convinced these “zero” threads get started by someone with a bowl of popcorn who’s waiting for the drama to kick off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate everyone’s feedback. It really was started by a legitimate question I had seeing as all my fixed hunting stuff and entry to dialing (leupold CDS) was done with 200yd zeros. I’ll plan to zero at 100 and go from there.

deadwolf

WKR
Appreciate everyone’s feedback. It really was started by a legitimate question I had seeing as all my fixed hunting stuff and entry to dialing (leupold CDS) was done with 200yd zeros. I’ll plan to zero at 100 and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

My comment wasn’t directed at you personally, it seems this topic comes up every so often and you can see where it leads : )