Any 6.5-284 fans?

desertcj

WKR
Personally, I would go for a 260 Ackley or maybe a 6.5x55 Ackley. Start going down that road and I'm thinking may as well go 6.5-06 Ackley or even .264 win mag.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The first half of your statement could not be anymore incorrect. The second half is true but if you have no energy it does not matter. If your statement were true I would be shooting some sort of swift a-frame out of a 6mmbr case and guys would be shooting cape buffalo with 308s. Energy combined with bullet construction is really all that matters in killing quickly and humanely. Obviously the farther out you shoot the more ballistics come into play. I care not what you choose to do but don't be spreading that around an internet forum for new guys to read.

I work in terminal ballistics as a part of my job. There is not a reputable institution or organzation that factors "ft-lbs energy" in terminal performance. Energy is not a wounding mechanism and it will tell you nothing about how long the neck length will be, the size of the permenant crush cavity, the depth and width of the temporary cavity, and the penetration depth of a particular bullet at a particular velocity. "Ft-lbs energy" is literally a meaningless reference when trying to figure out the wounding potential of a bullet.

Both launched at 3,000fps- a 180gr solid and a 180gr frangible have exactly the same "energy".....

OP
NaturalJon

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having a 6.5x284 built off a savage 116 270win. Kind of a budget build with a prefit Shilen barrel and Boyd's stock. That's about all I can say since I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as the rest of these guys on the cartridge or reloading. I plan on trying factory nosler 140 accubond and Norma 156 oryx ammo and if that doesn't work then I guess I'll add reloading to the list of hobbies. I wanted a 6.5 for a new mule deer rifle and it came down to the 6.5x284 and 6.5x55 swede. 260 rem would have been third.

Maybe off topic but i have a savage 110 that would be perfect for a build similar to yours. I'm having a hard time finding someone that does savage smithing.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beauty of a savage is that you can buy a prefit barrel, go and no go gages and be your own gunsmith

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
Maybe off topic but i have a savage 110 that would be perfect for a build similar to yours. I'm having a hard time finding someone that does savage smithing.

Any recommendations?

Sharp Shooter Supply is great but very difficult to get in touch with. Kevin at Stockade Guns is also very good and much easier to get a hold of but be prepared to talk.

FURMAN

WKR
I work in terminal ballistics as a part of my job. There is not a reputable institution or organzation that factors "ft-lbs energy" in terminal performance. Energy is not a wounding mechanism and it will tell you nothing about how long the neck length will be, the size of the permenant crush cavity, the depth and width of the temporary cavity, and the penetration depth of a particular bullet at a particular velocity. "Ft-lbs energy" is literally a meaningless reference when trying to figure out the wounding potential of a bullet.
Both launched at 3,000fps- a 180gr solid and a 180gr frangible have exactly the same "energy".....

I will not respond to this again and have a pissing contest on a public forum and ruin this guys thread. Once again you are confusing two different issues. No one ever said a thing about bullet performance. Energy is an absolute most in consideration for the cartridge used on ethically killing game. A "good" bullet as you are talking about will not in itself kill an animal. Speed alone will not kill and animal. Mass alone will not kill an animal. It requires a minimum of speed and mass(energy). You must also use a well constructed bullet, which many of us would disagree on what that is. It seems you are confused about energy calculations. You apparently now DO want to consider speed which is a large portion of an energy calculation. If speed where the only thing we cared about we would all be running fast small bullets with almost zero recoil. I am completely aware of all of the pieces that make up a "good" wound channel. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out something has to push the bullet through the animal to create the wound channel. If you want to discuss which is better between a much larger bullet and a smaller bullet of equal construction arriving at the target with the same energy we can do that in another thread. Let's go back to my original comment that apparently set you off. I will not change my mind. I do not feel there is any bullet a 6.5 Creedmoor can shoot with the ability to ethically kill animals past 700 yards. If you feel differently have at it.

Why don't you tell us what is instead of what isn't. And remember it has to be something that's variable between the cases. It makes no sense to talk bullets, because all of these cartridges can take the same bullets. Case capacity, speed, efficiency of design, neck length, whether or not it will fit in a short action magazine, these are the factors that vary between similar cartridges.

howl

WKR

Sounds like no one involved is smart enough to do the math. I'm sure not. I can't imagine anyone with the kind of brain necessary to quantify something like that wasting their time on small arms ballistics.

For the rest of us who just go by what we see when we kill stuff, the energy value is a good one for predicting the quality of damage to be done. Once you get below a relative amount, you go from thinking in terms of killing by disturbing with shock like a rifle to killing by making a hole like a bow.You can do both with a rifle. One doesn't work as well as the other in terms of game recovery. I have nothing further to say on the topic. I am just stating this for those who have not the experience to recognize what experience will eventually make obvious.

fishslap

WKR

Any recommendations?

David Sullivan at Westwind Rifles in Erie, CO is doing mine. I've had him do trigger work, bedding work, and re-crown my 300winmag so far. Good work, great guy. He also builds a lot of customs from what I understand. I forgot to mention the reason why I went with a semi custom; I'm having mine built off a lefthanded action since I couldn't find what I wanted in a lefty stock rifle.

OP
NaturalJon

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Sharp Shooter Supply is great but very difficult to get in touch with. Kevin at Stockade Guns is also very good and much easier to get a hold of but be prepared to talk.

Is stockade out of NE?

Personally, I would go for a 260 Ackley or maybe a 6.5x55 Ackley. Start going down that road and I'm thinking may as well go 6.5-06 Ackley or even .264 win mag.
6.5-06 is great but my 6.5-284 is better especially at longer range. Plus you can get that Lapua brass for it now