Feral Horse Tags

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
Dozens of wild horses found dead amid Southwest drought
The Navajo tribe might not need a hunt to control feral horse numbers if the drought continues. Check out this article.
The Carson National forest used to have feral horse roundups using a helicopter to herd them into an enclosure. They would auction them off. Some , once broke made good riding animals. Others were sold for slaughter to a horse slaughter house down in southern NM , which has since closed. I'm not sure what the meat was used for, dog food maybe? Once, when i was elk hunting in unit 2, NM I was chased up a tree by a stud horse. Thought seriously about letting the air out of him but he finally wandered off. Hiking out in the dark looking and listening for the SOB.

PETA pretty much got all the horse slaughter plants closed. In doing so it tumbled the horse market. You now get exactly what you get on the Nav and private pasture.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
PETA pretty much got all the horse slaughter plants closed. In doing so it tumbled the horse market. You now get exactly what you get on the Nav and private pasture.

And this gives a good look into the hearts and minds of the antis.

boom

WKR
i just read an article yesterday. 200 horse found dead in Navajo reservation. starved and thirsty:..that is how they died.

I would adopt a young colt if allowed to do so instead of slaughtering it. I grew up around horses. I really like them.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would adopt a young colt if allowed to do so instead of slaughtering it. I grew up around horses. I really like them.
You can and have been able to adopt wild mustangs for decades. People say its better but then they don't adopt any themselves and it leads us to this point.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I grew up and have owned a lot of horses. Doesn’t change the fact those wild feral horses are invasive and destroying the land scape. If I couldn’t feed my horses, they would get sold(slaughter or individual)or I would put them down. That simple. They aren’t pets.

You can and have been able to adopt wild mustangs for decades. People say its better but then they don't adopt any themselves and it leads us to this point.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I’ve had three, one made a great stick, the other two went to rail. One of the ones that went to rail I wouldn’t let any one in the pen with, that gelding would kill you if you turned your back to him. He broke me of the adoption

dony

FNG
Scouting one area around 51, there was more horse than elk sign, ran into 5 of them. Wasn't sure if they were wild but judging by this and the high thick stuff they lived in, probably were.

dony

FNG
Kudos for resurrecting a 5 year old thread.
Considering how many there were in the area, figured I'd look into it a bit. Wondering if they displace the elk at all to help focus my efforts in areas away from them.

Anyone have some horse meat they'd like to share? If these tags can be gotten, I'd take a horse for the meat.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
To me this is no different than a culling feral hogs in the Southwest, or feral cats in New Zealand/Australia. Where I grew up we had huge problems with feral dogs that would hybridize with coyotes. The offspring were aggressive, had little fear of humans, would kill deer, pets, livestock, and other native species. We culled coy-dogs as soon as we saw one. Introduced non native species will compete with native species for resources, and if protected by humans through whatever mechanisms will often drive native species to regional extirpation. Why people will draw the line on what animals are acceptable to harvest based on its social strata quotient is bananas to me. It is not a human and it is not your pet.

I guess we should allow the animal shelters to send all the excess dogs and cats to the local Chinese or Korean restaurants instead of throwing the carcasses into a burn pit after they euthanize them.

I’ve shot a horse before. Not bc I wanted to. Kind of made me sick to my stomach.

Something just seems sick about making an event out of it. I guess if they are gonna butcher it and eat it then a-okay.

I’ve also butchered a whole cow by myself. I suspect most of these “hunters” have no idea how much work this will be.