Feral Horse Tags

Dusty2426

WKR
As a New Mexico native this is new to me. I know of one place with wild horses and their very isolated and limited in population. Where are you talking about?

Huge issue on the Mescalero reservation. We elk hunt there every year and see 5-1 horses to elk

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Nearly 200 dead horses found on Navajo land in Arizona - CNNhttps://apple.news/A8dB4xHAQQHSoK4AQoBI6Qg

Moose2367

Lil-Rokslider
Heaps of them here in Australia, usually here they end up as dog food, if any is taken at all(makes the dogs stink too, donkey doesn't though). We have such a different outlook on hunting and utilisation here though, it's not a legal requirement to take any meat off any animal.

The main reason for this is that we are only allowed to hunt feral/introduced animals, no native species at all, with a few exceptions in some areas and for some industries with permits etc.

Bl704

WKR
I agree. There is simply no room for "reverse equine misogyny" in this day and age.
I can see the snowflakes already congregating in their safe spaces.

I'm conflicted.

Like others, I would have reservations about such a hunt and grip and grins would be a negative.
I can also understand the need to control feral animals...

I'm not opposed to eating horse meat, and I'm pretty sure I already was served some in Canada (at least) once.

If I shot one, it would be consumed...but it may be by me and the dogs, cause I know my wife would be a definite "No".

OP
P

Poser

WKR
What cultural factors would you attribute Aussie’s pragmatism regarding such matters?

It’s off been said that Americans and Australians have quite a bit in common culturally, more so than with European countries, so I’m kind of curious where these similarities deviate and why. It seems like Americans have developed this strong appeal to emotion. While I’m generally fond of blaming cultural problems on hippies (because hippies ruin everything), even growing up in the South, there was always a strong appeal to emotion when it came to all things Civil War related and these were sentiments that had been in place for well over 100 years. If you look across the board in American culture, you’ll find these tendencies where appeal to emotion is always values over appeal to reason. Is this striking different in Australia? You don’t have wealthy and influential housewives who decide that feral horses shouldn’t be killed even on sovereign Native lands and make it more trouble than its worth for the deed to be done?

With that in mind, I simply don’t understand why these reservations care about the options of white People? Are they politically afraid of being portrayed as savages by the media? These are sovereign lands, right? They want to kill some horses, there’s nothing protestors, state or federal agencies can do to stop them. So, why not take action?

kickemall

WKR
I agree with you but don't believe that reservations can do what they want when it comes to wild horses due to a federal law. In 1971, the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act gave the animals federal protections while allowing the interior secretary to sell or euthanize older and unadoptable animals. Reservations have to follow federal law but not state.

netman

WKR
Can you imagine posting this question in other hunting forums.
Will my 6.5 Creedmore be enough gun for a horse hunt I drew a tag for? Shots will be from the road and out to 400 yards.
Answer... will you need to shoot through the saddle?

Moose2367

Lil-Rokslider
What cultural factors would you attribute Aussie’s pragmatism regarding such matters?

It’s off been said that Americans and Australians have quite a bit in common culturally, more so than with European countries, so I’m kind of curious where these similarities deviate and why. It seems like Americans have developed this strong appeal to emotion. While I’m generally fond of blaming cultural problems on hippies (because hippies ruin everything), even growing up in the South, there was always a strong appeal to emotion when it came to all things Civil War related and these were sentiments that had been in place for well over 100 years. If you look across the board in American culture, you’ll find these tendencies where appeal to emotion is always values over appeal to reason. Is this striking different in Australia? You don’t have wealthy and influential housewives who decide that feral horses shouldn’t be killed even on sovereign Native lands and make it more trouble than its worth for the deed to be done?

With that in mind, I simply don’t understand why these reservations care about the options of white People? Are they politically afraid of being portrayed as savages by the media? These are sovereign lands, right? They want to kill some horses, there’s nothing protestors, state or federal agencies can do to stop them. So, why not take action?

I really don't look into it that much, it is what it is.

Part of it would have to be that we have a lot of native animals here that are only found here, nothing like them anywhere else in the world, kangaroos, wallabies, koala's, platypus' and our many snakes. All snakes are protected here too, there are circumstances where you can kill them and it is only when a person or pet is in danger. In the Northern Territory you can kill any snake if it is within 100m of a dwelling.

It's getting worse here, has been for years, going back to when the gun laws were drastically changed after a mass shooting, hasn't done anything to reduce gun crime though as expected, there are now more guns here than before the laws changed, just not many semi autos or P/A shotguns(P/A rifles are still ok)

Realistically, most of the population in Australia is on the east coast and the majority would never have been either far enough west or out bush up north to even see many feral animals, except for deer, foxes, rabbits and cats. They still have a big say in what happens to them, with the introduction of social media especially.

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm all for this hunt. Have heard horse is delicious. Joe Rogan eats it when he's in Canada at some famous steakhouse. That said, the possibility for pics on social media makes me nervous...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would like the see the Horse and Burro act struck and have wild horses managed by the states like all other non-endangered big game. Let each state decide how to best manage their herds.

Mt Al

WKR
Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act

When I become ruler of the world I'm going to change the name of the act to "Feral, Damaging Horses and Burros Act" They contribute to the decimation of wild populations of big horn, antelope, etc.

There's no such thing as a wild horse in the USA, they're feral. If these horses are wild, then so are pigs and cats and deserve equal protection.

I own a few horses and love them, feed and pamper them every day and wouldn't have one problem shooting a feral horse and I don't see the point in a grip and grin. They are beautiful creations, symbolic, etc., but no more so than any native big game animal, IMHO.

Since the world runs on emotion and political correctness the only way to kill off those herds is with some sort of documentary showing the way the world should be without them

The horses should be treated just like coyotes IMHO. I have done my share of ADC work and horses do require reduction for the benefit of game. I have eaten horse, it just okay. If asked, I would provide free ADC and take a bunch down with my .308 semiauto. Called a bunch of Mustangs in while predator calling around Vegas.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Maybe the Democrats are planning on letting Mustangs vote, if they aren't already? Why not? Jack Asses are voting. ;)

Fatcamp

WKR
Just because I love my dogs doesn't mean I won't tip over a coyote.

Same for horses. This world is run by crazy people with screechy voices.