Feral Horse Tags

Poser

WKR
Thoughts?

3c65efa4f3f75cc91c32ce5b556e0f06.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree they are a huge problem and over populated everywhere they range. I don't know if I could personally shoot one but have no problem with that control method. Curious what the harvest requirements are meat, hide? I'd personally avoid a grip and grin unless you truly enjoyed be the target of intense hate on social media

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

V65Magna

FNG
At first blush, the idea of shooting a horse doesn't sit too well with me but I suppose I could pretend it was a Zebra. Add to that the ability to shoot one with a .243 and I think I might be OK with it. I would guess most of the meat gets donated for Alpo and Jello?

OP
P

Poser

WKR
At first blush, the idea of shooting a horse doesn't sit too well with me but I suppose I could pretend it was a Zebra. Add to that the ability to shoot one with a .243 and I think I might be OK with it. I would guess most of the meat gets donated for Alpo and Jello?

Probably not. Currently, horses have to be shipped to Mexico or Canada for slaughter as it’s not permitted in the US. I do have a cookbook that has a number of Icelandic horse recipes

This article gets into some of the details and problems. The Navajo Nation has a wild horse problem (The Navajos’ wild horse problem) — High Country News

johnsd16

WKR
I think it is socially unpopular to hunt horses but what a joke it is that we let feral animals outcompete our native animals like deer, elk, pronghorn and sheep and give them protection. I’d try eating it and I grew up on a horse farm (learned to hate them). I personally wouldn’t go try to “hunt” them on the reservation. I too wonder what the utilization will be of the meat, hides, etc.

I love the regs too. What about mares with fillies, only says cant shoot mares with colts. Also, it is pretty derogatory to refer to the young males as “weaners”. That’s quite a blow to the ego for them.

amp713

WKR
The better idea would be to bring back slaughter facilities and part of the money from selling caught mustangs goes back to birth control methods....

Personally if I'm shooting a horse it's because I have no way to get it to a vet fast enough to help it....

Couldn't hunt one though.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I've had horse before in a few different countries, its good eating. Down in the Caribbean they made burgers out of them, called 'em chimee's. That said, I've had dog and cat too and like it.

Felix40

WKR
So is this for natives only? I need to find more info. The thing about being accompanied by a tribal warden seems lame. If it was a real hunt I think it would be a fun way to get a ton of meat. If its just a matter of driving around in a truck and shooting one Im not really into it. I would like to see a state be able to offer tags too.

I just hope any grip and grins that wind up on the internet are accompanied by a ton of context. Non hunters are going to have a $&%! hemorrhage over this... I also hope that kid who shot the german shepards doesn’t have any neighbors with horses or ponies .

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I just hope any grip and grins that wind up on the internet are accompanied by a ton of context. Non hunters are going to have a $&%! hemorrhage over this... I also hope that kid who shot the german shepards doesn’t have any neighbors with horses or ponies .
100% agree w/ this. I really hope those that put up photos of this are going to be conscious of the optics of it. Otherwise it could be a sh*t show.

Sadler

WKR
I can’t wait to see the grip n’ grins lol. I just saw a guy posted up with his bow and a dead cow on instagram. I never knew that was a thing. But as far as the horses go, it’s better that people get to pay to hunt them rather than the government paying someone to kill them.

dtrkyman

WKR
I saw as many horses on my elk hunt in New Mexico as elk...huge problem in that state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not one to do the grip-and-grins or Facebook or Instagasp or big social media releases. I would shoot a feral horse to eat and for the hide, and would do it in a New York minute. Horse tenderloin over mesquite!

TheTone

WKR
Good for them doing this. Now if only we would just treat them like feral domestics across the rest of the west.

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
They are a HUGE problem even in Oregon. They take over water holes in the dry months, pound creeks and riparian areas and compete with wildlife to the point of running them off of feed and water. The studs can be aggressive to humans and you don't want to be riding a mare saddle horse in their vicinity. They are feral and need to be gone.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
I saw as many horses on my elk hunt in New Mexico as elk...huge problem in that state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a New Mexico native this is new to me. I know of one place with wild horses and their very isolated and limited in population. Where are you talking about?