6.5 PRC for elk? If so how far?

sveltri

WKR
The guy in the 3rd post the other dude was referencing with the "timber" comments.
You also said you wouldn’t try in the timber??
I'm presuming off angles and small shot windows so a bigger bullet or one that has a longer wound channel can more ethically kill in less ideal situations. Seen my dad do it with his 300wm, something I wouldnt try with my 270 or 6.5.

180ls1

WKR
You also said you wouldn’t try in the timber??

Not quite. I was referring to a less-than-ideal shot angle in that scenario. But we're talking degrees of difference here, not 264/277 = no timber, 300wm chop down the forest and it'll still drop bulls.

Not quite. I was referring to a less-than-ideal shot angle in that scenario. But we're talking degrees of difference here, not 264/277 = no timber, 300wm chop down the forest and it'll still drop bulls.
Wouldn't a heavier slower projectile perform better if it nicks a twig or branch the shooter didn't see?

180ls1

WKR
Wouldn't a heavier slower projectile perform better if it nicks a twig or branch the shooter didn't see?

I assume so but I don't know. I've seen an elk killed by a sideways 30 cal bullet, not sure what it hit on the way there. I've also seen a 22-250 appear to blow up (I assume) in some weeds trying to kill a coyote.

IDVortex

WKR
I bet it comes down to how the bullet is constructed. And I wouldn't be surprised, if we saw a 6.5 bullet get obstructed by a tree/branch, etc. A 'magnum' cartridge will also experience deflection and or damage. I'd be curious to see some data/ballistics on that.

PNWGATOR

WKR
910 yds with a 153 Atip w/1989fps impact velocity.

That said, I quit using the Atip due to inconsistent wound channels. It’s unreliable and inconsistent in tissue.

147 eldm/143eldx/130TMK all will perform and fill your freezer.IMG_9030.jpeg

180ls1

WKR
910 yds with a 153 Atip w/1989fps impact velocity.

That said, I quit using the Atip due to inconsistent wound channels. It’s unreliable and inconsistent in tissue.

147 eldm/143eldx/130TMK all will perform and fill your freezer.View attachment 689053

Do you think an a-tip with more frontal area (7mm or 30 cal for example) would open more consistently?

I've read reports where people have noted that with bergers of the same design when moving up in cal.

Marble

WKR
I bet it comes down to how the bullet is constructed. And I wouldn't be surprised, if we saw a 6.5 bullet get obstructed by a tree/branch, etc. A 'magnum' cartridge will also experience deflection and or damage. I'd be curious to see some data/ballistics on that.
I've experienced deflection with my 7 mag twice. Didnt make through the sparse pine needles/branches like I thought it would.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Do you think an a-tip with more frontal area (7mm or 30 cal for example) would open more consistently?

I've read reports where people have noted that with bergers of the same design when moving up in cal.
Inconsistently inconsistent is the best way I can describe the Atip in tissue.

My experience(s) with the 6.5 153, no matter how awesome they looked on paper, soured me to the point of never using them again on game.IMG_9030.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
K
I took a whitetail last year at 350 yds and wow........anchored......never even moved. The modern-day bullets and their capabilities are pretty amazing. The old soft points still get the job done within 100-150yds but man these long range bullets seem to really be dropping game in their tracks. Havent shot at anything the size of and Elk though.

Image tagged in not again - Imgflip

Ask the .264 win mag how that worked out...
Funny, my hunting partner, lives and dies by 300 wsm or 300 win mag. Will not shoot anything else, when I bring up 6m and 6.5's all I get is blasted about how they are not adequate, BUT if I want to shoot a 6.5 then I should get a .264 Win Mag, "now those things anchor deer"....Im like huh? have ya looked at any tables or ballistics to compare? " No and I dont need to", But I cant argue with him, he has killed more deer than I have ever seen and some boomers on the wall. It is just how he was taught, etc. he is old like me and hard headed lol and dont even bring up muzzle energy, he swears by it lol I pride myself in being more open minded lol