Any wool pant recommendations?

Does anyone have recommendations for 100% wool winter pants? Filson look great but at $450 a pair.. Ouch. I've also heard the quality has slipped recently. About the only affordable option I've seen are the big bill pants which are 80 wool and 20 nylon. Curious if anyone has tried these. I have one pair of army surplus wool pants which I found at a thrift store that have been great, seems like there should be more options for similar in new but I haven't found them yet

I have a pair of the original FL wool pants, which were pretty lightweight and not real durable. The best winter wool pants I have ever had were from King of the Mountain. I bought them used off of eBay. It was like putting on a suit of armor.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
So many choices. It really depends how heavy you are looking for and if you are stuck on being camo. Most of mine are Codet out of Canada. There's also Johnson's Woolen Miles out of Vermont and Stagr Gear and Big Wood Bucks are the new players in the wool field. I also have some old Woolrich that I love, I've heard good things about the Big Bill but have never seen them personally and doubt I'll ever need a new pair at my age so I don't have any personal knowledge there.

I have a pair of Big Bills in inventory along with a couple pairs of woolrich. It takes me about 12-15 years to get a pair to the repair stage and that usually buys me another 5-8 years before I have to replace them.

Buy them when you can find them and stock up. In this screwed up society, supply will be gone before people tire of freezing in jeans. What I can't find are woolrich wool shirts. After 20 years mine are starting to look like quilts. I would stock up if I could find them.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
For stillhunting and tracking, which is about all I do, I have the Johnson Woolen Mills. They're excellent but too lightweight for stand hunting, imo. I have an assortment of old woolen pants, most of them old milsurp from various countries, gotten cheaply anywhere from Fleabay to our local St. Vinnie's. None of these are comfortable but they'd hold off a nuclear winter, as they're thick and built like tanks.

I just ordered a pair from C&C Sutlery. They’re not here yet so I don’t know anything about them but they were the only wool pants I’ve found that you can buy that has an inseam longer than 34”. Bout $150 made in Idaho. I don’t know how to post a link but they’re in the “modern ranch wear” section of their site.

Last edited:
Check out asbell wool. Can't actually speak to the pants myself but I have one of the sweaters and it's legit. Find myself wishing for it to get cold during early season just so I can wear it.

Should be a bit more affordable than filson and it's quality. I've had for a few seasons.

Bump79

WKR
Does anyone have recommendations for 100% wool winter pants? Filson look great but at $450 a pair.. Ouch. I've also heard the quality has slipped recently. About the only affordable option I've seen are the big bill pants which are 80 wool and 20 nylon. Curious if anyone has tried these. I have one pair of army surplus wool pants which I found at a thrift store that have been great, seems like there should be more options for similar in new but I haven't found them yet
What are you using the pants for?

fwafwow

WKR
Following. I’ve been hearing up to start spot and stalk for whitetails and think wool pants should be quieter. I’ve got FL Obsidians, but they will require a base layer, and probably thicker than what (if anything) would be needed under the Sarmas (as an example). Do those ever go on sale?

Love most of the FL products I have, but I've stayed away from the wool pants because reviews seem to raise questions about durability. I think they're more geared towards mountain hunting than whitetail, so they're thinner and not as durable in the thick stuff. Again just what I've found in the many gear rabbit holes I've been down.

fwafwow

WKR
Love most of the FL products I have, but I've stayed away from the wool pants because reviews seem to raise questions about durability. I think they're more geared towards mountain hunting than whitetail, so they're thinner and not as durable in the thick stuff. Again just what I've found in the many gear rabbit holes I've been down.
I’ve got a small hole or two in my Obsidians, but they are relatively thin wool and the durability is as I expected. Thicker would be better, but also thicker would make them less useful for walking/hiking. Still interested in the thicker Sarmas but I expect I could make do

I’ve got a small hole or two in my Obsidians, but they are relatively thin wool and the durability is as I expected. Thicker would be better, but also thicker would make them less useful for walking/hiking. Still interested in the thicker Sarmas but I expect I could make do
The Sarmas have caught my eye now and I wasn't even looking. They're modeled off military cargos so probably better than wool bibs for hiking.

Not sure where/what season you're hunting, but they definitely look nice for a cold weather option.