Bear Gun for Wife

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love the debate of more rounds vs. knock down power. A good buddy always has his 9 with him because it has 15+1. My question to him is always how many effing rounds are you going to get off in under 3 seconds including unholstering. I take a six gun in the back country as I don’t plan on getting in a shootout with the bear. Most often it’s a snub nose 41 over my full size 357 or 44. It just seems to be a little faster off the hip and feels good in my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the end, it probably doesn’t matter, just carry what you like. I do know for sure I’ll get more shots out of my 10mm than I will my 44. But I still like my 44, I just think the Glock 20 is almost a perfect balance of compactness, reliability, power, capacity and weight.

I used to carry a Glock 19 and a ruger sp101 357 because that’s all I had. I know that everybody feels like “I’m going to bear country (Alaska) so I need a 44”, when I moved to rural Alaska I was surprised how many people did their hunting with 243s and carried 38spcl/357 revolvers for their bear guns and they were all fine with it and spent more days out each year than me.

My wife found that she likes the Glock 43, it fits her hand better and she can shoot it well and she likes carrying, I think we need to look at the title again because it’s asking about his wife, not him. When it comes to arming your wife, I say the best gun or caliber is the one she wants, not the one we think is better for her.

I’d rather my wife have a Glock 43 with 7 rounds of 9mm than nothing simply because I wanted and demanded she carry a 44. In the end, when it comes to my wife, I tend to be more concerned about wolves and crazy locals while she’s out running logging roads than I am about grizzly bears.