Best affordable zero degree bag for side sleeper?

KC1

FNG
What's the best affordable 0 degree side sleeper bag? Looking at the Nemo Stalker, but wondered if there was a 'as good, but not as pricey' option?

colby12

WKR
I’ve got that bag. Pretty decent. I’m 5’10” and if I were going to buy it again I’d get the tall version. I also started dabbling with quilts, have a 10 deg El Coyote which has been nice thus far. Haven’t used it below 30 yet. I’d imagine there are some threads on here that have hashed this out but if I had to guess you’re not going to get much less than $450. I feel like the SG Chilkoot and Western Mountaineering are mentioned often for the room, but I could be misremembering.

Pn8hall

WKR
Cant help with a cheaper option but I run rhe Nemo Sonic 0 degree bag in the long version and its perfect for me as a side and stomach sleeper that likes to kick my knee up when I sleep. I am 5’10” 200 lbs. The long version has a little more room than the standard. Good luck on your quest.

OP
KC1

KC1

FNG
Thank you. If $450.- minimum, might as well just get that and be insured I'll be happy and warm!

Dented

WKR
Are you back packing? Is weight an issue? Any chance you'll run into precipitation/ wet environment? Are you looking for a bag for 0 degrees or a bag for 20 degrees rated to zero?

Theres a lot of good options, and some real crap. A little more info and I bet you'll get a good bit of feedback.

zpearo

FNG
I recently got a thermarest Questar 0 bag, new with tags for $200 off eBay. Plenty of room in it for me to side sleep comfortably, though I'm only 5'9" 155lbs. I saw them on sale at REI recently for $300 too. Good price for a waterproof down bag and very well rated from my research.

Following!
As for now my votes goes to the Mountain Hardwear Phanton. It's comparable in price, but can be had for cheaper with discounts.
I just used it for the first time last season. Very comfy. I'm a 5'10" 185 side sleeper.

zpearo

FNG
In addition to Mountain Hardware, I also have a Mountain Equipment synthetic ~10 degree bag that I've been very impressed with. Very well made with nice features.

This is a Mountain Equipment down bag that was on sale for $220 recently and has gone up a bit now but still under $300. I'd expect good things based on their other gear.

OP
KC1

KC1

FNG
The temps on this hunt should be between 25F-45F, but you never know. And, I'd like to use it for future trips that can could be colder. Backpack trip planned next year, so trying to get as light as possible. Yes precipitation could be an issue. Thanks for all of the help!

The Big Agnes Lost Ranger series of bags is design to be ultralight and designed for side sleepers if I am not mistaken. Looks like an intriguing option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Nemo stalker. The bag with the most room is a Klymit KSB 0 degree XL. Its a beast, is super warm and has tons of room.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have the Stone Glacier 0 degree bag and I love it! I’m 5’9” with a wider frame. I feel Stone Glacier has the best down products on the market.

I went ultra budget last year w kings camo synthetic 0 degree bag. For around $200 it has been great so far!

I dunno about best, and certainly not lightweight, but I'm a slide sleeper (really a flip flopper) and years ago bought wife and I some cheap 0 degree bags from some company called Hyke & Byke. We've used them into single digits in the tent and I don't have any complaints other than they're mummy bags and I hate mummy bags.

Agross

WKR
I’m the same way. I’m all over when I’m sleeping and can’t stand true mummy bags. I went with a hyke and byke bag made for hammocks because it was larger and wider . Kept me warm on a few very cold nights.

At 450, you should look into the zenbivy light 10 degree. It's the most comfortable sleep system I've ever tried.