Best bag for the money?

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at the Kifaru slick bag, wide 0 degree. That runs $470, which is about the top end of what I want to pay

fatlander

WKR
A lot of reports over the years of those bags not living up to their ratings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I haven’t used a bag in several years (quilt convert), but my experience is synthetic insulation doesn’t perform as well as down. In similarly rated quilts with both insulation types, in similar conditions, I’ll be cold in synthetic and warm in down. Down is also lighter and longer lasting, but it does cost more. As long as you behave like a reasonably intelligent person and keep it dry, down is the way to go in most situations, in my opinion. Sorry no specific bag recommendations.

dtrkyman

WKR
Outdoor Vitals makes a nice bag for the money, I have a zero degree down, won't get me to zero but I am a really cold sleeper, comfortable for me down to around 10 degrees. But for me after 5-6 hrs in the bag at those single digit temps I get chilled.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I went quilt 8 years ago and have never looked back Enlightened equipment has been my go to. I have their revelation and their synthetic and both are fantastic. Just gotta make sure you use it properly to to keep you warm and toasty.

rcb2000

WKR
I’m looking at the Kifaru slick bag, wide 0 degree. That runs $470, which is about the top end of what I want to pay
If that were my budget I’d scrounge up a little more and get the Stone Glacier.
Smaller, lighter, warmer.
What kind of environment do you hunt in primarily? If you are somewhere that is crazy rainy and humid, versus somewhere like Colorado, it will help determine which bag is better for you.

S.Clancy

WKR
If I were you I'd get bag with actual, realistic temperature ratings like Feathered Friends. A 10F Feather Friends down bag will likely outperform the Kifaru and many other "0" degree bags. I would spend the extra 120$

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Now I’m kind of intrigued by the quilt idea. I have a Kifaru sawtooth and a stove for it. Should that sway me one way or the other? I live in montana and I’d count on camping in temps dropping to around 10 degrees. I’d probably be feeding the fire most the night if it was that cold anyways.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Stone Glacier Chilkoot 15 degree bag. I love it, super light and warm. If it gets any colder than 15 degrees I just wear my puffy pants and all is well. I've had many bags over the decades and it's been the best so far with the degree rating being true. I believe I paid less than $500 for it through Blackovis years ago.

Last edited:
Black ovis chugach. Synthetic bottom 600 down fill top. $120 or something for 20 degree and $150 or so for 0 degree.