Cody Carr's Hunting Adventures Review

Deertick

FNG
I hunted with Kenny in Wyoming last year. Met through a friend, and I didn’t know him from Adam until then.

He’s got this Southern accent that’s a bit odd, but other than that I’d say we left as friends. The outfitter’s response seems pretty strange compared to the Kenny I met. The guy I hunted with was no high-maintenance, out-of-shape easterner that doesn’t know his way around the west.

I’d say that I’d need to hear a lot more about him to believe those things.

It’s not like me to get into threads like this but I wouldn’t leave a buddy out there to take that without giving character witness testimony.

Like I told ya, Kenny, you’re welcome in my camp anytime.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Bowsite, Rokslide, Archerytalk...any other avenues you've posted on? Sounds like both you and Mr. Carr have an ax to grind.
Sounds like Cody Carr has an axe to grind after an honest review was posted. If he doesn't want multiple negative reviews, then perhaps he should offer a more quality hunt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Loco4dux

WKR
Anybody that reads his reply should be able to see the true colors there.

This.....

I read that on Bowsite the other day before I saw this thread and thought the exact same thing.

Good for you for denying his attempt to cover it up. F that guy.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I hunted with Kenny in Wyoming last year. Met through a friend, and I didn’t know him from Adam until then.

He’s got this Southern accent that’s a bit odd, but other than that I’d say we left as friends. The outfitter’s response seems pretty strange compared to the Kenny I met. The guy I hunted with was no high-maintenance, out-of-shape easterner that doesn’t know his way around the west.

I’d say that I’d need to hear a lot more about him to believe those things.

It’s not like me to get into threads like this but I wouldn’t leave a buddy out there to take that without giving character witness testimony.

Like I told ya, Kenny, you’re welcome in my camp anytime.

Thanks Buddy! Looking forward to getting back out in the mountains again with you! No WY elk tag for me this year. But ill hopefully be coming out for the pronghorn! Appreciate the back up! Have a good one!

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Bowsite, Rokslide, Archerytalk...any other avenues you've posted on? Sounds like both you and Mr. Carr have an ax to grind.
Well, i didnt actually post this on AT. Just answered a question regarding his operation. I was pretty pissed last week after i read his reply to my review. I have calmed down since then. However, i still stand by my assessment of the whole thing. Its true that unhappy clients speak the loudest.

Hey, elk hunting is tough and there are always two sides to the story. I'm not passing judgement on either side and I have no connections here at all, but it's not easy to see things from the other side's perspective. Case in point, a couple years ago I guided a guy who was in failing health, I put him in front of multiple legal bulls, including one at 115 yards. Needless to say, nothing died and the guy was so wore out from the hunt that he left camp early with a day and a half left for him to hunt, and still had the balls to call the outfitter a couple months later to complain that he didn't kill anything.

This isn't to say that the outfitter in this case didn't do a good job, like I said, I don't know the guy or the outfit, but sometimes hunting is just hunting. When you are hunting public land nothing is guaranteed, and we all know that elk hunting is not easy. That said, it sucks that you did not enjoy your hunt and hopefully your next guided experience is much better. I can attest that most guides will work themselves into the ground to try to provide their hunters with the best experience possible. Best of luck this fall!

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
KHNC, After reading all the posts on this, my gut feeling is you were more than truthful regarding your experience. The fact that you've been a Rokslide member since 2013 and over a 1000 posts, tells me your no novice. Not knowing you personally, my guess you've done enough hunts both DIY and Guided that you probably know what to expect from yourself, your hunting partners, guides and outfitters. Being a long time doer, what reason would you feel the need to post anything that wasn't the truth. Yes, public land elk hunting can certainly be hit or miss. If the elk aren't there they just ain't. Though I've been only on one guided elk hunt, my outfitter was phenomenal, as was his camp, horses and everything associated with his outfit. My guide was an ex PBR bull rider and he was just one badass dude. He worked his ass off for me. 3 guys out of 6 got bulls, I did not. But the experience was awesome and I cannot wait to try it again. For the few that questioned both your review and you personally, well I just don't see it. I'm sure most outfitters that have been in the game for a while are really good. I suspect a few, maybe not so much. Bad reviews travel faster than good ones. The guys on this forum that talk about getting as many references as possible when thinking guided is probably the most soundest advice. I'm sure you won't ever make the same mistake again. To much of a $$ and time investment to end up with a hunt like that.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
KHNC, After reading all the posts on this, my gut feeling is you were more than truthful regarding your experience. The fact that you've been a Rokslide member since 2013 and over a 1000 posts, tells me your no novice. Not knowing you personally, my guess you've done enough hunts both DIY and Guided that you probably know what to expect from yourself, your hunting partners, guides and outfitters. Being a long time doer, what reason would you feel the need to post anything that wasn't the truth. Yes, public land elk hunting can certainly be hit or miss. If the elk aren't there they just ain't. Though I've been only on one guided elk hunt, my outfitter was phenomenal, as was his camp, horses and everything associated with his outfit. My guide was an ex PBR bull rider and he was just one badass dude. He worked his ass off for me. 3 guys out of 6 got bulls, I did not. But the experience was awesome and I cannot wait to try it again. For the few that questioned both your review and you personally, well I just don't see it. I'm sure most outfitters that have been in the game for a while are really good. I suspect a few, maybe not so much. Bad reviews travel faster than good ones. The guys on this forum that talk about getting as many references as possible when thinking guided is probably the most soundest advice. I'm sure you won't ever make the same mistake again. To much of a $$ and time investment to end up with a hunt like that.
Thanks brother! Yes, i have been on many ,many hunts across the US and Canada. Many more DIY than guided. I took some sound advice back in 2001 when i planned my first western hunt. I hired an outfitter for a muley hunt. Then an elk hunt and several more muley hunts. I did this to gain experience until one day i could feel comfortable enough to make the trip solo or with a buddy and have plenty of confidence. My outfitters and guides were all terrific! Fortunately, i have been blessed with great health and some athletic ability. This has helped me make sure i wasnt the deadbeat hunter draggin ass in the rear unable to keep up. Quit is not an option i believe in. I will hunt until the end, even harder if i know there are animals to chase. I wanted to do this guided hunt as i had never rifle hunted for elk. I believe if elk were there , i could hike my butt off and find them! But if they arent there ,they arent there. I didnt know the area, nor the high pressured places we would be hunting. If you can kill a bull in those conditions, you are doing something amazing! Not knowing the area, you must rely on the guide to get you on them. In this case, it was mostly pointless tail chasing with very little game to pursue. Frustrating for sure.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Hey, elk hunting is tough and there are always two sides to the story. I'm not passing judgement on either side and I have no connections here at all, but it's not easy to see things from the other side's perspective. Case in point, a couple years ago I guided a guy who was in failing health, I put him in front of multiple legal bulls, including one at 115 yards. Needless to say, nothing died and the guy was so wore out from the hunt that he left camp early with a day and a half left for him to hunt, and still had the balls to call the outfitter a couple months later to complain that he didn't kill anything.

This isn't to say that the outfitter in this case didn't do a good job, like I said, I don't know the guy or the outfit, but sometimes hunting is just hunting. When you are hunting public land nothing is guaranteed, and we all know that elk hunting is not easy. That said, it sucks that you did not enjoy your hunt and hopefully your next guided experience is much better. I can attest that most guides will work themselves into the ground to try to provide their hunters with the best experience possible. Best of luck this fall!
I agree with your assessment of how hunts can go from a guides perspective. My review was in no way to bash on the guide. He knew his stuff, however, i also feel he knew there were few animals to pursue in november. He did a pretty good job with the area we were in. Only so much to do with the crowds of road hunters. Just to be clear, CODY did NOT hunt with anyone at any time. He was not in camp ,nor did he ever do any scouting of areas as he said he would be doing during the hunt. I have been on enough western hunts to know if there are any animals around. This is just a low game, highly pressured public area. Cody runs about 20 hunters per week from two camps thru the season. His guys are a high percentage of the pressure in my opinion. The guides are just cycling hunters thru the exact areas week after week it appeared to me.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
TTT- Just a friendly PSA for anyone potentially thinking about making the same mistake as I , and many others.

Tick

WKR
Appreciate the honest review. I want to know the good and bad when spending my money on anything.

EFR

FNG
KHNC: I had a very similar experience with Cody Carr. Myself, my son, and a friend hunted elk with Cody a few years ago. The hunting was very poor (2 camps, 13 hunters, one legal bull). Not only was the hunting bad, but all we hunted was public land, out of truck. I posted a review as you did. The honest truth, to let others know my experiences. Cody responded to the review, attacked me personally, and made excuses.

A couple of months ago, Cody called me to talk about my review. Cody told me it was hurting his business and wanted me to change it. I told him what I wrote was the truth and I would not change a thing. He flat out asked me how much I wanted to take the review down, which I told him I would not do. He then offered me a free hunt to give him a second chance, which again I declined. I declined his free hunt offer because I did not think he was sincere, the way he hunts is not for me (out of a truck on public roads/trails), and I felt it was akin to a bribe. If I did have a great second hunt, should that change the facts or review of the first hunt?

I don't want to hurt anyone's business. I've pretty much moved onto all DIY hunts, however I have a bunch of guided elk hunts under my belt. With only one exception (Cody Carr), I'm friends with all of those prior guides. In fact I keep in contact with three guides from past hunts (2 hunts where I did not punch a tag, yet had a great time). I posted an honest review because I want others to know the truth.

Here is the review if you're interested:

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/outfitterreports/detail.cfm?reportid=5171

sndmn11

WKR

Who was this outfitter?

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
KHNC: I had a very similar experience with Cody Carr. Myself, my son, and a friend hunted elk with Cody a few years ago. The hunting was very poor (2 camps, 13 hunters, one legal bull). Not only was the hunting bad, but all we hunted was public land, out of truck. I posted a review as you did. The honest truth, to let others know my experiences. Cody responded to the review, attacked me personally, and made excuses.

A couple of months ago, Cody called me to talk about my review. Cody told me it was hurting his business and wanted me to change it. I told him what I wrote was the truth and I would not change a thing. He flat out asked me how much I wanted to take the review down, which I told him I would not do. He then offered me a free hunt to give him a second chance, which again I declined. I declined his free hunt offer because I did not think he was sincere, the way he hunts is not for me (out of a truck on public roads/trails), and I felt it was akin to a bribe. If I did have a great second hunt, should that change the facts or review of the first hunt?

I don't want to hurt anyone's business. I've pretty much moved onto all DIY hunts, however I have a bunch of guided elk hunts under my belt. With only one exception (Cody Carr), I'm friends with all of those prior guides. In fact I keep in contact with three guides from past hunts (2 hunts where I did not punch a tag, yet had a great time). I posted an honest review because I want others to know the truth.

Here is the review if you're interested:

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/outfitterreports/detail.cfm?reportid=5171
Thanks! I had actually read your report before. Its good to link these up. Maybe save more people the headache of his operation. Also, if someone has a good reference for a reputable operation, that could be good also.

So i have a dilemma about an outfitter i posted a review about last fall. Cody Carr`s Hunting Adventures. The people that know me and the many people I have hunted with know me and my personality. I always try my best to post my experiences on hunts, whether outfitted or DIY. After my rifle elk hunt with Cody Carr last November, i decided to post a review on Bowsite. I thought it out and did my best to describe exactly how the hunt unfolded. It took Cody a long time to reply. He called me a couple days ago to discuss the review and asked me to delete it and rewrite it more favorably. He even offered to refund part of my hunting costs. I declined on both counts. One, i will not post a review that is not true. I feel anyone looking for a review should get the truth. Secondly, i have never asked nor taken any refunds on an outfitted hunt. I just take it as a lesson learned. Unfortunately, after the phone conversation with Cody, he took it upon himself to write a reply that was extremely inaccurate. The information he posted does not match my review and is mostly outright lies. I am posting this to help anyone on a google search that may find this post. It is a shame that outfitters can just post any sort of mistruths and nothing can be done about it. If anyone would like to discuss my elk hunt or would like information about Cody's operation, feel free to call me at 828 674 6752. Here is a link for the review and his reply.

https://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/OUTFITTERREPORTS/detail.cfm?reportid=6882
I hunted with Cody Carr as well. He is a joke. I paid $12500 for my son and I to hunt deer/elk combo. Never saw 1 elk. And only saw 1 spike whitetail. He's the biggest dude ranch rip off I've ever been around. On top of that I tipped my guide $1000. Undoubtedly the worst hunting experience of my life. He always has lies and excuses to cover his ass. He can say what he wants, but if u say u had a bad experience, I know it's TRUE.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I hunted with Cody Carr as well. He is a joke. I paid $12500 for my son and I to hunt deer/elk combo. Never saw 1 elk. And only saw 1 spike whitetail. He's the biggest dude ranch rip off I've ever been around. On top of that I tipped my guide $1000. Undoubtedly the worst hunting experience of my life. He always has lies and excuses to cover his ass. He can say what he wants, but if u say u had a bad experience, I know it's TRUE.
Sorry to hear you had a hunt with Cody. Hopefully you will go to www.bowsite.com and leave a review on the outfitters section. If enough people continue to spread the word, hopefully it will put him out of business!! Biggest crook of an outfitter i have experienced.