Common courtesy and decency

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a member for a long time but rarely post. Way too many people who can’t just move along. They have to argue. I don’t want to spend my time arguing with idiots on the internet. And guys can turn Almost anything into an argument.

If it’s a thread you don’t like, a question you don’t like or whatever, just don’t respond. If enough people feel the same way no one will respond. If people do respond that’s their business, no one else‘s.

Way too many people with way too many strong opinions, especially when compared with their IQ.

Everyone seems to dislike people who live differently than they do. If you live in the country you despise people who love in the city. Western guys don’t like guys from the East. All the same stuff you see in society in general. We are all divided into our little groups sparring with the “others.”

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Its because you dont have to worry about getting punched in the mouth behind a keyboard.
That`s pretty much it in a nutshell concerning the vast majority of cyber bullies. Probably not the type you`d want next to you in the foxhole with the bad guys coming through the wire, either.

KurtR

WKR
LOL! You think it`s bad here? Spend a little time over on Sniper`s Hide. Some of those guys appear to take a lot of pride in being anonymous cyber bullies. In particular, try to ask questions or start a discussion about ANYTHING pertaining to Savage, they`ll call you everything but a child of God, to include four letter expletives. I don`t pay any attention to them, but I can see where some folks might not return to that site that could benefit from the information that`s there.
I miss the old hide.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I always find it interesting that people take the time to comment on things that irritate them. I think it would be similar to scrolling through the tv channels and stopping and watching a show you do not like. It doesn’t make sense. It takes less time to hit the back button than to type a response.

CRJR45

WKR
It's George Carlen's fault.
After he pointed out that everyone on the road is either an Idiot, or a Maniac, everything went south.

Fyi, how to tell the difference-
Anyone driving slower than you - Idiot.
Anyone driving faster than you - Maniac.
It's George Carlin , get it right ! Don't come on here and force us to check your spelling , wasting our time with inaccurate information . Like I have nothing better to do than correct random strangers on the interweb's spelling !

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I think this site is way more supportive than my local NJ hunting site, and 10x as much as most guys in the field, as long as you don't ask for hunting spots and only it's your first post. I see questions all the time on terrain, altitude, and meat care answered thoroughly and respectfully.

example : opening day of turkey, I got there first, slowly getting ready, car flies in, dude jumps out and grabs gear frantically and runs into the woods. Guess who wound up sneaking around the corner from me 1 hour into light... Most times in NJ, we have very limited land, so who ever is first tells the other person the area they are hunting and usually others steer clear.

4rcgoat

WKR
all these are the behaviors that you see in a society before it collapses. for a while now if you are honest and considerate to most people they think your a dumb azz and try to get over on you, play you for a fool.

it is a very bad time.
I agree with this 100 percent. I think most people are too caught up in their own ignorance to recognize what is happening around them every day. I truly believe we are on our way out,just a matter of time before it all unravels and society collapses in on itself. Just take a look at the great civilizations that stood before us..... pride is always at its highest, right before a great fall.

11boo

WKR
One thing a lot of people don't understand is that it actually helps Rokslide every time another thread is posted asking the same question that has been asked 500 times. The more times a topic is brought up here, the higher we rank on search engines such as Google. Each thread helps drive traffic to the site and the more traffic we get, the more likely we keep our sponsors that keep this place running.

Bottom line is this place needs to make enough money just to keep the lights on.
The users get to feeling like it is their community and sometimes we forget that.

Slugz

WKR
A very wise Navy Captain once said "Never pass up the opportunity to shut the hell up"
Same guy said " God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason"
Reading this thread reminded me of him.

These internet forums replicate the attitudes and actions of humans at a trailhead. Someone gets an animal down and there's always a few people you never met before that say "we will help ya pack it out tomorrow"
Just downright great human beings that are there because they love the outdoors and the people that are in it.

Then there is the other group that says " I haven't seen an elk in 5 days" and is a total a--hole with a poor attitude.

What's hard is trying to figure out if the nice group is really just wanting to see where ya killed at !! :)

It's George Carlen's fault.
After he pointed out that everyone on the road is either an Idiot, or a Maniac, everything went south.

Fyi, how to tell the difference-
Anyone driving slower than you - Idiot.
Anyone driving faster than you - Maniac.

You can only use that standard if you are driving exactly at the speed limit. If you are exceeding the speed limit the term Maniac cannot apply because you too would be the maniac because of excess speed

However, if you pass someone while you are exceeding the speed limit BUT the person you passed is going below the posted limit, then the person you passed would be an idiot

Dos XX

WKR
Some of what you mention is the anonymity of internet forums.

Some is the psychology of political groups creating animosity as a way to retain their following…with that animosity invading peoples personalities.
Quote because I can't like it 10 times.

CorbLand

WKR
Its been a slow decline over the last 40-50 years and I think it started when people started to become increasingly selfish. As long as I get what I want out of the deal and there is something in it for me, then I am good with it mentality. Sometimes that want is an argument.

Overall, Rokslide is one of the better forums around. Its not what it once was though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I do not know the thread you are talking about. However, I know I'm not answering a question once I have personally answered the same question in 3 other threads. Especially if there are multiple threads asking the same thing in the past 6 months or so.

I have fired of a thread before researching, only to realize the answer was already provided or easy to come by. So, I'm not immune to it. But, I feel like an ass if I do it.

Writing a decent reply takes time and effort, often times I reverify specifications and spend 30 minutes or more getting the answer together. When a thread that already contains such an answer is listed in the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page, it would have taken the OP less than 10 minutes to find the answer.

Common courtesy and decency is to not expect others to invest more effort than I'm willing to invest finding an answer. Of course, we live in a self centered country were telling someone to be considerate is considered rude because most people are inconsiderate.

Also, teaching someone to look through old threads or consult publicly available sources makes them a better person and improves their quality of life. Spoon feeding them keeps them crippled and should be considered cruelty.

KurtR

WKR
I guess I never knew the old hide.
It was a place of straight and to the point answers if you had a delicate personality feelers could get hurt easy. It was a majority of military people and some very knowledgeable civilians. There was no love for salvage back then either.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I see both sides, we can all be nicer, but along with that comes the fact that a lot of people these days don't bother to do any research or put in even the smallest amount of effort whatsoever on XYZ Topic.

They want their questions answered but don't want to use any of their time to answer the question.

Example: Posting a question about hunting regs when the answer can easily be found by looking at the states regs themselves.
Isn't asking the question research? I agree sometimes I see a thread and think it has been asked a thousand times, but it hasn't been asked a thousand times by the new person.

I try to help everyone I can, especially with archery and even more so in person. The "new guys" and ladies are the future of our sport, in a world that seems to not value our values.

Give them a break. They are trying to learn how to do what a lot of us have been doing for years.

TSAMP

WKR
I pulled up to a trailhead early this week to ride my MTB after a minute a young kid, maybe 12 approached from a distance asking if I'd seen his tackle box. I said no, I just got here, what color is it I'll keep an eye out. He proceeded to walk up to me from the front of my vehicle and around as I opened my topper and dropped my tailgate. It seemed odd until I realized he was actually checking if I had it or not. He then made a phone call only to find out another person in his group had it. No words, he just left. I stewed on that for awhile before I just laughed it off.

Decency and courtesy seem to be Increasingly difficult to find. But it's out there.

Culture is a tough thing...it's like a big damn battleship steaming through the ocean...it has a ton of momentum and takes a long time to change direction. I haven't been a model poster over my duration here, I have my days I guess. Best for us all to lead by example when we can. I think it's okay to call out other posters for taboos and faux pas, but maybe a "bless yer heart lil feller" is better than a "gtfooh with that question."