Don't be a SMART ASS!

CorbLand

WKR
As far as the State bashing goes, I agree that it is impersonal and that it shouldn't have any direct effect to your self esteem of what I think of the state you live in. I would imagine that my calling Wyoming a god forsaken state was one that got caught on radar. Its true, I think Wyoming is a shit hole, at least the Eastern side, but I don't think less of you, or value your opinion less because you live there. Like others have said, make fun of me and where I live, I need a good laugh everyone once in awhile.

The way I see things is that if you make fun of someone for something that they can't change, then your a dick. If you make fun of someone for something that the individual has control over, then your a smart ass and having some fun.

Orion's brother, no worries man, I think Ryan means the belittling "why do you ask such a stupid question" responses. And to the comment above about douche bag and Dick head,smart ass, honestly they all can mean the same thing to different people.

We don't want everybody to get all sensitive on us. we're just asking you to think a little bit before you post.

The hunting camps, locker rooms are in person and usually among known people. just remember there's a lot of new people on Rokslide that have had bad experiences on forums. We we don't want to run them off just because they don't understand the back-and-forth that sometimes goes on.

I think the best example we have for balance is Ryan Avery. You won't find a guy with more vocabulary words at his disposal and such little tolerances for stupid people, but he leaves room for everybody's opinions and comments without attacking, but also won't put up with faceless BS. Yet I don't think anybody on here would think he's a sissy safe speech monitor, at least I don't see him that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got ya Robby. I think that I understand what everyone is looking for.

I was... ummm... being a smart ass.

In my book, being a smart ass imparts some humor. Hopefully someone chuckles. It's very different than being a dickhead, belittling a man's haircut...or

I have times where I'm a smart ass, but without malevolence. I enjoy the mild cutting up that goes on here from time to time. I appreciate the sense of humor displayed by many. I would not want that to go away. No one needs to work to piss anyone off And no one needs to seek indignation.

"Can't we all just get along?"

And for the record, if you're inclined to ask, "why do you ask such a stupid question, Rick?" or post something along the lines of, "you're an idiot and a dickhead, Rick" ...it's ok, brother. I'm married. I can take it.

Short bloodtrails.

rayporter

WKR
in the last couple months i have started to post good honest info and because some one was being a know it all or smartbutt i bowed out. you can stifle the forum in many ways. carry on. ray

I don't believe that I've ever shut anything down with any of my posts. I have no interest in having a negative impact on anyone or any conversation. That's not why I visit this site.

I can't recall any specific posts or threads, but your handle sticks out in my mind as being connected to good, positive posts. I would ask that if you find someone is laying it on thick, to just post your thoughts anyways. If you refrain, guys like me and others lose. I'm interested in your opinion.

I say this, recognizing that I'm just a guest at this party. I'm enjoying the information, stories, reviews and humor. I will never forget that I am a guest. I have no desire to piss anyone off. My opinion is only one coming from the cheap seats.

Like I said, love him or hate him, he made a great point

Romney made a good point??? Is it smart ass of me to ask, was it was when he called Trump a fraud and phony playing Americans for suckers?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Romney made a good point??? Is it smart ass of me to ask, was it was when he called Trump a fraud and phony playing Americans for suckers?

Not even close to what I was referring to. Read my original post. And if you all think I'm a Romney leg humper, you're wrong. I do recognize intelligent thought though and in the spirit of this thread try to consider everyone's opinion, including Romney's

rayporter

WKR
orionsbrother. thanks for the kind words, i would like to think i can always be thought of like that. kinda how i feel this forum is meant to be.

A man with an experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion. a lot to this statement to ponder.

arguing with someone about his experience is just not right, but i digress, cause it is not the arguing as much as just attitude.

good luck. robby.

Whisky, apology accepted, and thanks for being a man about it.

But that was a case where we as mods were thinking, why attack hippies who hunt? Sure, they think way differently than us but if they are for hunting, let's try to at least maintain that common ground- they can affect people in a positive way towards hunting that none of us can. If we kick them out of here, we'll never affect their non-hunting/or anti-hunting friends in any good way. I'm not saying we can't be critical of arguments or ideas from anyone, but by leaving the attacks aside, we'll do way more good than harm. Same goes for them or any group in how they interact here- understand the community that has formed here.

Someone PM'd me about state bashing, i.e. Cali, Utah, eastern states, etc and why we allow this to go on. Great question. We don't really, but we can't be everywhere all the time and we often only hear about person-to-person bashing.

But it's really all the same. Can't we just show respect for our fellow hunters no matter where they come from? No matter what we all think, we're a pretty small percentage of the population and this type of stuff divides us even smaller.

We're not against debate, facts, and all that stuff, that's how great things happen and we welcome it. But the PM-er was right, why is it more acceptable to bash a state than a person? (feel free to comment on that)

Mitt Romney, love him or hate him, said rightly in the 2012 election that "Corporations are people, too" in the face the liberals who treat corps like crap capable of nothing but evil. Mitt was right and our fellow hunters, no matter what state they reside from, are people too.

Rokslide is not a criticism-free zone, but do it with facts and without the personal attacks. And in the spirit of the thread, smart ass comments even when meant as no harm, don't fit well here with many people. They just silently pull away and chalk this place up as same-old, same-old while the smart-asses carry on in their ignorance. IMO it also opens the door for the bad actors to behave at their worst when they see others disrespecting.

We certainly don't want to be the word police, but we do ask everyone to respect their fellow hunters while sharing on Rokslide. A good rule of thumb is to trade places with the other person for just a second before you respond-what are his experiences, what is his frame of reference/level of experience, etc. It might change your response as I know it has mine many times.

If states do things that deserve bashing I say have at it. Utah and their game expo scandals comes to mind. If it's a topic about overreaching gun laws California should be at the top of the bash list. Oregon rightfully got bashed when they were attempting to sell Elliott state forest.

People are so sensitive now it's ridiculous, if someone says a comment that is negative about a state that doesn't mean its bashing, especially if the statement is grounded in facts. People opinions on how animals and lands are managed, new legislature introduced that negatively effects sportsmen, how shitty certain cities are working that state.
I currently live in California, it has some of the wildest and most beautiful places in the lower 48, it also has some of the shitiest places in the lower 48. That's just a fact. It's not a bash, and it shouldn't hurt someone feelings if that is said, I know all the shit said about California doesn't hurt mine, it's a state, it's not my mother.

Aron used to call guys out and embarrass them, it was effective because most everyone respected his opinion. I would say most here respect you(Robby) and Ryan as well. I get it's a business and you want to be professional, but sometimes embarrassing a guy is exactly what it takes for him to get he is being a dick (and I say that as a guy who has probably deserved that at one time or another here). Locking threads with zero explanation helps no one, putting guys on front street for everyone to see helps everyone, and makes everyone accountable. while it may not be getting your teeth kicked in, if you enjoy this place the last thing you want is guys who are well respected calling you out for your BS.

I have learned an enormous amount because of this website, and I would love that to continue.

Last edited:

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
i have helped run a forum like this one for virginia hunting since about 2002 and now i own the site, so from someone who knows how aggravating it can be at times, i think you guys do a great job keep up the good work

"But the PM-er was right, why is it more acceptable to bash a state than a person? "

Being from Alabama you get accustomed to being a target. I understand why. For whatever reason, our local media and visiting media is going to find the most uneducated sounding least attractive buck toothed or no teethed southerner and stick a microphone in his or her face. Trust me, we be laughing too, but it is a hard stereo type to overcome. I'm also proud to say I have never seen the racism here that was supposed to have existed... not in my lifetime and I'm 56. I've never been approached by a member of any prejudice group and never knowingly met anyone from such a group, so the Alabama most have heard about only exists in the shallow minds of the most gullible, and a few small backwoods towns.

Probably the one thing that boils my blood is to hear hunters talk down on the owners of the land they are hunting for feeding their cows or cutting timber and should some sheep herders move in on "their" hunting area and blame that on their lack of success instead of the real reason which is their own inability to adapt use such things to their own advantage... I see them as inept crybabies...oddly enough most of these type do come from a specific area of the country, and whether they are paying or not that doesn't excuse their attitude in my mind.

As far as personal attacks, if you are comfortable in your own skin you likely want let that bother you. Even Jim Doherty made fun of hippies when he coined the line"blood trail so good a blind hippie could follow it"

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
I really like the folks here and the mods do a good job and I don't think it's over moderated...Having said that if someone bashes your state and it offends you, you need thicker skin..

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Tipsntails yes I agree if it's grounded in facts. I think the guy that sent me the p.m. was referring more to some of the derogatory statements made about states, in a blanket kind of way. Yes if it's factually so that state X causes Y problems, then I don't think that's State bashing.

Also you mentioned Aron, you're right he handled it differently, but as a personal friend of his I can attest that is exactly one of the reasons he's not here anymore. he couldn't stand all the bull crap like that and the fact that he had to call people out, just causing a lot of unneeded stress for him. I won't dig up any old threads but I think if you go look, Ryan and I have called out more than a few people. we just don't have that Aron- ability to embarrass them in such blatant and humorous ways. Thanks for chiming in

mrgreen

WKR
I've read this entire thread, some great points made here. Robby and Ryan do a better job dealing with the headaches then I've seen on other forums. I know I wouldn't want the responsibility, or have the patience to do it. Thank You.

I'm only posting to say, when it happens that a comment gets misunderstood, or rubs some one wrong- that's the time to send a PM. I usually start with "Hey, if I was out of line I apologize........" BUT, there is a short window to get that kind of thing cleared up.

As my Old Man told me (repeatedly) "Be accountable for what you do and say."

Now, back to checking trail cams. My season's not over.

mrgreen

WKR
Ha, I'm gonna print this out have have my wife read it.

Heads up Robby, your name may come up in the Divorce proceedings.

Clarktar

WKR
raypoerter, nothing has changed, we're just bigger than we used to be so it's a little harder to stay on top of.

If people are too childish to keep their mouths shut when they should and we catch it, we'll warn them once then if it doesn't change, Ryan pulls out the ban hammer.

Anyone we catch that belittles others goes packing.

We don't all have to like or agree with each other, but we all need to have respect for others.

I've met a few friends of members we've banned before that have said "Oh, if you knew him, you'd be surprised at what a nice guy he is."

They don't realize the real truth is their friend is a big chicken shit as evidenced by the fact that he can bash anonymously but not in person. He knows deep down he'd get his teeth kicked in if he treated people in person like he does on forums.
I miss littlebuff! He was funny as all get out

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk