Don't be a SMART ASS!

Whisky

WKR
raypoerter, nothing has changed, we're just bigger than we used to be so it's a little harder to stay on top of.

If people are too childish to keep their mouths shut when they should and we catch it, we'll warn them once then if it doesn't change, Ryan pulls out the ban hammer.

Anyone we catch that belittles others goes packing.

We don't all have to like or agree with each other, but we all need to have respect for others.

I've met a few friends of members we've banned before that have said "Oh, if you knew him, you'd be surprised at what a nice guy he is."

They don't realize the real truth is their friend is a big chicken shit as evidenced by the fact that he can bash anonymously but not in person. He knows deep down he'd get his teeth kicked in if he treated people in person like he does on forums.

I apologize again for bashing hippies. I usually am better then that and that's why I enjoy Rokslide. Been a rough week. Hope to stick around for awhile longer.... Adam

16Bore

WKR
I'll admit to being an occasional smart ass, but will also admit that this is one of the few places where a guy isn't completely ridiculed for what he chooses to do/buy/shoot/wear/yadda yadda....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
"Oh, if you knew him, you'd be surprised at what a nice guy he is."

Ya, that's me.......until I'm not.:D But at that point I'm probably not typing on the forums either. On the other hand, there's a huge difference between smart ass comments and being a total tool towards someone.

oldgoat

WKR
Then you're going to be raw as heck. Have you felt the paper those things are printed on? That's not a smart ass comment......that's a fact.

You have to rumple them up first! Like used to be done with the pages out of the Sears catalog, my dad taught me that!

Typed words are the easiest to misconstrue, so it is easy to unknowingly ruffle the feathers of someone you don't know and they don't know you either so that makes it twice as easy.

Even if you do know them and they know you there are some you cannot email or text without getting sideways...Talking over the phone, no problem.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Typed words are the easiest to misconstrue, so it is easy to unknowingly ruffle the feathers of someone you don't know and they don't know you either so that makes it twice as easy.

Even if you do know them and they know you there are some you cannot email or text without getting sideways...Talking over the phone, no problem.

^^^ that's very true. That said someone above stated it best when they differentiated between a tool and a smart ass. If I don't know someone online here I'll be careful with how I type. If it's someone that has background with me I have no problem saying "Listen here F^(K3r" :D. Commons sense goes a long ways here.

BFH has a different meaning around here:eek:

rayporter

WKR
you could never give me a moderators job. but we could not get by without them. i say get a bigger hammer or you will lose control.

it is wonderful to grow as this site has but with it we get some [ or a lot] of ..............mmmmmmm slightly different mind sets.
blubbering gibberish just to get post counts and such-when they had nothing to add that was useful or arguing ,sheesh, it will get worse -which is a shame.

i also sense we are starting to get a little B S thrown around.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Whisky, apology accepted, and thanks for being a man about it.

But that was a case where we as mods were thinking, why attack hippies who hunt? Sure, they think way differently than us but if they are for hunting, let's try to at least maintain that common ground- they can affect people in a positive way towards hunting that none of us can. If we kick them out of here, we'll never affect their non-hunting/or anti-hunting friends in any good way. I'm not saying we can't be critical of arguments or ideas from anyone, but by leaving the attacks aside, we'll do way more good than harm. Same goes for them or any group in how they interact here- understand the community that has formed here.

Someone PM'd me about state bashing, i.e. Cali, Utah, eastern states, etc and why we allow this to go on. Great question. We don't really, but we can't be everywhere all the time and we often only hear about person-to-person bashing.

But it's really all the same. Can't we just show respect for our fellow hunters no matter where they come from? No matter what we all think, we're a pretty small percentage of the population and this type of stuff divides us even smaller.

We're not against debate, facts, and all that stuff, that's how great things happen and we welcome it. But the PM-er was right, why is it more acceptable to bash a state than a person? (feel free to comment on that)

Mitt Romney, love him or hate him, said rightly in the 2012 election that "Corporations are people, too" in the face the liberals who treat corps like crap capable of nothing but evil. Mitt was right and our fellow hunters, no matter what state they reside from, are people too.

Rokslide is not a criticism-free zone, but do it with facts and without the personal attacks. And in the spirit of the thread, smart ass comments even when meant as no harm, don't fit well here with many people. They just silently pull away and chalk this place up as same-old, same-old while the smart-asses carry on in their ignorance. IMO it also opens the door for the bad actors to behave at their worst when they see others disrespecting.

We certainly don't want to be the word police, but we do ask everyone to respect their fellow hunters while sharing on Rokslide. A good rule of thumb is to trade places with the other person for just a second before you respond-what are his experiences, what is his frame of reference/level of experience, etc. It might change your response as I know it has mine many times.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
But the PM-er was right, why is it more acceptable to bash a state than a person? (feel free to comment on that)

Bashing a state is impersonal. Bashing an individual is personal. On the other hand, we as a nation have become so dang sensitive to EVERYTHING. If some of these people had heard comments sent each others way between folks 20 or 30 years ago, they would have wanted charges filed just for having to heard such atrocities. And then needed therapy for the rest of their lives. I guess it's tough for me to see anything different as I could care less what someone says about me, or the state I live in, or anything else for that matter, even to my face.

I also remember a day when fist fights were as common as talking trash, and nobody sued, nobody was offended by that, everybody moved on afterwards.........many times having a beer together after it was done. No big deal. In my college fraternity, we settled everything in front of everybody with boxing gloves. When it was done........it was done. Everybody moved on and nobody's feelings were hurt. Maybe we can put something like that together here.......LOL. Somebody keep track all year, then one big annual RS fistacuffs.:D

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I'm just relieved that when I opened the thread....my Name wasn't highlighted.....

I've been in hunting camps and on sports teams where the ribbing is merciless....so my skin is probably a little thicker than most.........more weathered and wrinkled than many here for sure- grin

Perhaps it's too subtle a difference to try to police, but I would respectfully request that the admonishment about being a smart ass be instead shifted to the directive to avoid being a D-bag or D!@khead. I appreciate a creative smart ass, while having no interest in pizzing on someone's day.

Oh well.

Since apologies and mea culpas are being made...I had started a thread about recycling kid's gear by passing it along to other Roksliders so that it's put to use somewhere other than a Chuckee Cheese or at a mall. That thread was prompted by my noticing Luke's thread in the classifieds, selling gear to get situated for the forthcoming mini-Moffat. My thread was genuine and I felt that a freebie outgrown kid's gear tab might be a nice addition for us breeders to pass things on to others. I was attempting to make positive input.

However, I made a couple of smart comments in that thread. One of which may have hinted that Luke may have applied some alcohol to facilitate the process of procreation. Especially since I do not know Luke other than some typed words floating on a screen, this was wrong. Though I meant no harm, it was rude of me to assume a level of familiarity and then slander a man that I do not know. For that, I apologize.

It was Becca that got Luke liquored up, right?

;>D

Merry Christmas every one!! Have fun. Life is a carnival.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Orion's brother, no worries man, I think Ryan means the belittling "why do you ask such a stupid question" responses. And to the comment above about douche bag and Dick head,smart ass, honestly they all can mean the same thing to different people.

We don't want everybody to get all sensitive on us. we're just asking you to think a little bit before you post.

The hunting camps, locker rooms are in person and usually among known people. just remember there's a lot of new people on Rokslide that have had bad experiences on forums. We we don't want to run them off just because they don't understand the back-and-forth that sometimes goes on.

I think the best example we have for balance is Ryan Avery. You won't find a guy with more vocabulary words at his disposal and such little tolerances for stupid people, but he leaves room for everybody's opinions and comments without attacking, but also won't put up with faceless BS. Yet I don't think anybody on here would think he's a sissy safe speech monitor, at least I don't see him that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why attack hippies who hunt? Sure, they think way differently than us but if they are for hunting, let's try to at least maintain that common ground- they can affect people in a positive way towards hunting that none of us can.

Yeah, be nice to Grant Gladson. He sells us nice things. Could use a haircut though.

dotman

WKR
Really I haven't seen a Kuiu thread in awhile, makes me wonder if that is an outlet for the smart ass comments which then keeps all other threads on track :)

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a tendency to make some wisecracks occasionally, not meant to aggravate anyone if I've started any of this, I'll watch it from now on.