Don’t buy Binos made for bird watchers

BXB77

FNG
I wanted a pair of top notch binos. I like a 12x50 so I picked up a pair of Swaro EL 12x50’s. The glass is as good as you would expect. However I like to run the outdoorsman Bino adaptor. I had to send them off to get the adaptor installed. That was $100 plus about $100 for shipping when you add insurance for $3,500. Then I had to buy some lanyard adaptors to attach them to my Bino harness. I was ok with that investment since I figured they would be a lifetime set of binos. On my first hunt I got some dirt in the focus knob. I could not get it cleaned out. It was so gummed up it was hard to turn. Now I just shipped them back to Swaro for service. Another $100 in shipping. I’m kind of disappointed at this point.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
On my first hunt I got some dirt in the focus knob. I could not get it cleaned out. It was so gummed up it was hard to turn. Now I just shipped them back to Swaro for service. Another $100 in shipping. I’m kind of disappointed at this point.

The rest of it are accessories and is on you. The dirt causing issues with the focus knob is just a Swarovski deal. They are by far the most fragile of the top 3-4 bino brands. I use them heavily, and average 1.5 years between repairs on Swaros even babying them as much as possible in the field.

However I like to run the outdoorsman Bino adaptor. I had to send them off to get the adaptor installed.
I did that too so my 10x50s have the Outdoorsman stud. But I tried out the RRS Cinch this past hunting trip and won't be using the Outdoorsman system again. The Cinch costs like $45 or something (you can pay $125 for the elite version if you want I guess) and already has an ARCA footprint so no additional plate needed if your tripod is ARCA. And it's low profile enough I was able to keep it on and still easily fit my binos into my bino harness.

Wyo_hntr

WKR

I would suggest a clamp with an arca plate. Works great on my kowa genesis

ljalberta

WKR
Love my Swaros. I use the 10x42 SLCs. Will probably send them in for a servicing next year, but they’ve been going strong for 7 years.

Out of all my equipment, I try to baby the binos the most.

SDHNTR

WKR
I buy mine from Outdoorsmans, with the adapter installed. No shipping back and forth.

Mine are filthy, get used hard, the eyepieces break, the rubber comes off, the lens caps break off, etc. I just send em back Avery other year or so and consider it regular maintenance, but yes, everything Swaro makes needs to be handled with kid gloves.

MattB

WKR
Buy your next set of binocs from the Outdoorsmans and have them install the stud before they ship it to you.

It doesn’t bother me when my focus knob gets a little gritty as my binocs stay closer to in focus when it put them in my bino harness.

I’ve had my 10x42 EL’s for 8 years and have only had to send them back once and that was totally my fault (fell out of my pack onto concrete). Some of you guys sound like you are hard on gear.

pirogue

WKR
. Then I had to buy some lanyard adaptors to attach them to my Bino harness.
This must be where the “bird watcher” part comes in. What cheap bino harness requires a lanyard purchase, unless one wants some 3’ retractable lanyard, when he puts it on the tripod. All the decent bino harnesses I’ve used had the easy to use quick disconnect buckles.

You can send Swaro an email and they'll send you adapters for the strap connection for free, and in all the pairs of "field pro" binos I've ever gotten there was a pair of adapters in a small white box under the manual.

Is the harness you used an enclosed one? I have a hard time imagining getting enough dirt to foul a focus dial into my Marsupial gear.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I rely on the bird watchers (partially because I am one) for binocular advice and I don’t see how your experience relates to them.

These issues have more to do with Swaro's manufacturing priorities than "bird watching" characteristics.
The only point I see that differentiates ideal hunting binos and birding binos is the focus adjustment speed for specific distances, which is subjective preference anyway.

SDHNTR

WKR
Imagine maligning an optic because it’s highly prized by people using them to identify small animals with minuscule identifying features.
Is it ok to malign their riflescopes with their beautiful glass, that are utter pieces of garbage? Those are made for hunting and shooting, you know?

Last edited:
Is it ok to malign their riflescopes with their beautiful glass, that are utter pieces of garbage? Those are made for hunting and shooting, you know?
Its a bummer the alpha brands crap the bed so badly making riflescopes. Meopta seems to be the closest to getting great glass and durability combined in one package at mere mortal prices.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am very hard on equipment, and outside of the 15 SLC, I have had good luck with Swarovski binoculars.

But I think binoculars are fragile in general. If I had to pick durability out of the big three, it would go Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss. I would bet everyone's order would be a little different, depending on use and luck.