Don’t buy Binos made for bird watchers

4th_point

WKR
I like the bino stud for tripod mounting, but Swaro reps that I have talked to don't recommend it. They told me that they have seen it cause collimation issues.
They were strongly opposed to hinge mounted studs. I should have been more clear on that. And yes, they are hunters and not birders.

That has not stopped me from using the Outdoorsmans stud though.

I'd trust a coues' hunter's experience well before a birdwatcher dude. YMMV.
Certainly more applicable, especially when considering trying to glass up a little patch of hide or ear, or antler tine in different lighting, with something that blends in incredibly well

Glassing towards the east in the morning dealing with sun glare, etc

The birders have some good feedback on glass, but their needs in optics are different than mine

The ones I’ve met (we used to occasionally charter big groups of them) see everything differently than me, so I don’t trust what they see through binos😏

I run Outdoorsman stud for my 10 and 15 Swaro SLCs. I've had my 10s for 7 years and my 15 for one. SLCs are just the easiest glass for me to get behind all day. The warm coloration (to my eyes) makes brown fur really pop in low light.

I'm curious about the collimation issues and other warranty/repair work folks are sending them in for. I haven't noticed any weird issues with either of mine. I'm assuming it's quite obvious?

Actually, Swaro definitely does have the harness strap attachments. They are in the same little box as the tabs to fill the gap if you take off the objective covers. Slick system that I prefer over all the stationary harness attachments as they swing with the movement of the binoculars.

BBob

WKR
The popularity of mounting binoculars to tripods came way way before EL’s were ever even dreamed up. In fact Swaro wasn’t even on the map in the US when it began. When they did hit here that god awful yellow view stunk for finding our little deer. Gen 1 EL’s were slow focus just like the SLC’s. Fast focus came later as did (even later) the field flattening lenses.

4th_point

WKR
The birders have some good feedback on glass, but their needs in optics are different than mine
I'm not sure what a birder is! Obviously a bird watcher, but I don't think they all have the same needs.

Some watch birds in the backyard and others at the shore or large wetlands. Seems varied, like a tree stand hunter vs open country hunter.

What I have learned is that some "hunt" birds with a checklist. I've seen them check various birds off their list and rush off.

I sold a spotting scope to a guy like that. I asked him if he enjoyed just watching the birds, or wildlife, and he said no. Just ID the birds and keep going! He said it was common for that type of activity.

I found that surprising as I enjoy watching wildlife even when not hunting. I know other people that just enjoy watching wildlife but don't hunt at all. Not sure that I would call them birders though.

4th_point

WKR
Gen 1 EL’s were slow focus just like the SLC’s. Fast focus came later as did (even later) the field flattening lenses.
I really liked the non-SV 8x32 when it first came out. Been meaning to find one to see how it compares to some newer designs.

OP
B

BXB77

FNG
The adapters your are referring to comes with every pair they sell….. I’ll bet it’s in the box if you kept it.
They didn't come with mine, Just a neck strap. And a bar of soap???

BBob

WKR
They didn't come with mine, Just a neck strap. And a bar of soap???
My last ones were in a little white box about the same size as the soap box along with the little inserts for the objective cover slots in case you chose to remove them. Everybody I know has received them but mby yours were left out? I'd check your packaging.

pirogue

WKR
The reason I say they are designed for birdwatchers is they are not designed for use with a bino stud, and the lanyards I am talking about are the straps that keep your binos from falling out of your harness. Typically these just thread in the side of your binos. You have to buy a special adaptor for the Swaros. These are things that most Western hunters use. If you were designing a bino for hunters I would expect that to be considered in the design. The fact that they can't take a little dirt doesn't help the cause.
I presently have 2 pair of Swaros with studs, and the NL Pure can have the stud inserted by anyone. Easy to do. And yes, the adapter hooks that accept the lanyard straps were in the box with the binos.

I did that too so my 10x50s have the Outdoorsman stud. But I tried out the RRS Cinch this past hunting trip and won't be using the Outdoorsman system again. The Cinch costs like $45 or something (you can pay $125 for the elite version if you want I guess) and already has an ARCA footprint so no additional plate needed if your tripod is ARCA. And it's low profile enough I was able to keep it on and still easily fit my binos into my bino harness.

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, do you keep the cinch connected to your tripod or to the binos? I worry my binos wont slide in and out of my bino harness with that thing on them.. But if I could leave that thing connected to my tripod and then it just took a second or two to hook my binos to it, that might be what I'm looking for.

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, do you keep the cinch connected to your tripod or to the binos? I worry my binos wont slide in and out of my bino harness with that thing on them.. But if I could leave that thing connected to my tripod and then it just took a second or two to hook my binos to it, that might be what I'm looking for.
You could certainly do that but I kept it attached to my binos personally. I was using 10x50 ELs in a Stone Glacier bino harness (size large) and having the Cinch attached to them didn't effect my ability to get them in/out of the harness quickly.

You could certainly do that but I kept it attached to my binos personally. I was using 10x50 ELs in a Stone Glacier bino harness (size large) and having the Cinch attached to them didn't effect my ability to get them in/out of the harness quickly.

How hard would it be to string the strap up through the barrels on the ELs and hook the little cam lock?

On the RRS.. the little tab has 2 posts that slide into the bottom part, and then it cam-locks over to tighten to the binos.
I have the lock on the outward part of my barrels and only the strap running between them. The lock isn't particularly big but I think it'd depend on the angle whether you could actually lock it while the cam was centered on the inside of the barrel.

I rely on the bird watchers (partially because I am one) for binocular advice and I don’t see how your experience relates to them.
Bird watchers don’t need rugged equipment. That’s why Swaros are for bird watchers, they hold up well to casual walks along trails looking at birds in nice weather.

Now, hunting in gritty, rugged conditions for extended periods they don’t hold up so well.

I have the lock on the outward part of my barrels and only the strap running between them. The lock isn't particularly big but I think it'd depend on the angle whether you could actually lock it while the cam was centered on the inside of the barrel.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am asking. I apologize if I was unclear. The cam lock (lock tab) would still be on the outside of my barrel.. I'm just asking how difficult/fast it is to leave the RRS on the tripod and then fish the strap up through and lock it vs leaving it on the binos and locking it onto the tripod when you glass.

Since asking the question, I have watched a couple youtube videos and it looks like leaving it on the tripod and attaching the binos to it is pretty fast and easy.