Exo or kifaru

LostArra

WKR
I sold all of my Kifaru packs and frames and picked up a used Exo 3500. I was getting tired of having to try to find pockets to do what I wanted them to and being unsuccessful with Kifaru packs. They are comfortable and carry loads well, but didn't have what I was looking for.

The Exo on the other hand is a simple pack, adjusts easily, doesn't have forty extra feet of webbing to deal with and has the pockets I want, where I want. I never carried meat in my pack, but I did carry a load of 40lbs of trash out of a wilderness area this summer, plus 40lbs of my gear. I used the meat shelf and put the trash between the frame and the pack and it worked really well. I carried it like this for 14 miles. No complaints.

Kifaru is a great company, makes great gear, but for the price they cost, new or used, I wasn't happy with the configurations. I've carried my Exo for approxomately 400 miles this summer in SW Colorado doing trail maintenance and won't use any other pack.

I'd highly suggest to figure out what it is you want in a pack for your intended purposes and then do the research to find it.

Same experience for me
Thank you for saving me the typing Justin
I have packed out elk with both. The Exo meat shelf setup is a model of simplicity and effectiveness. Packed elk in bag with Kifaru. Both carry the load well. My 1952 vintage knees are the load limiters not the packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am down close to charleston, probably 3 hours away. I appreciate your generosity.

No worries. If you are up near the Cabela's in Wheeling, send me a PM. For me, I had the Kifaru bikini frame and had issues with a pressure point in the lower lumbar area. I stopped in at Kifaru and had them check the pack fit and they recommended switching to the duplex frame... it was better....the lumbar area pressure point was not as bad. I then tried Stone Glacier Archer and liked the fit and feel a lot better.....did not have the lower lumbar pressure point. I have heard nothing but good about EXO and decided to try the EXO. I like the EXO fit and feel as well. For me, the EXO and Stone Glacier fit and feel was much better. I like the meat shelf on the Stone Glacier and EXO as well as the simplicity (don't have too many long straps, buckles, etc to deal with). Whatever you decide, put some weight(would suggest a min of 40 lbs and then try 60 or 80 lbs) in it and take a 1-2 mile walk a couple times to get better feel for how the pack fits.

geriggs

WKR
I have an exo 5500 on k2 frame. Packed out camp and 45 pounds of meat. Worked well. I also have an exo 2000 on a new duplex frame. I just got the ladder and I'm running the grab it between the exo2000 and duplex. IMHO u can't beat the kifaru frame but i never pack more than 75 pounds and the exo works well. I love the exo packs but the one issue I had with them was the main compartment zipper was tough to operate. So much I tore the zipper handle. Luckily they have two zipper so the compartment. Kifaru zippers are better. I'm thinking about a woodsman or reckoning but not sure yet. Next year I'm moose hunting in ak and I will have my kifaru frame.....not sure what bag.

geriggs

WKR
The simplicity of the exo is one of its best features but u only get 4 compression straps total. Kifaru sky is the limits for straps....that's a plus and minus

i like the simplicity of the exo. have carried a few deer and a bear in mine. think 136 pounds has been my heaviest weight from the high country. i had a kifaru set up and it didnt work for me, was too much going on with it and i like a meat shelf. cant imagine not having one like the exo is set up. the reckoning looks good from kifaru though but no reason to switch for me. if it aint broke dont fix it kinda thing. there are things i would prefer on the exo but not a deal breaker. steve is a great guy and answers his phone for all questions i have ever had. customer service is top notch from my experience. good luck and enjoy your new pack......

Last edited:
I am sure this has been covered, please help me anyway!
So I was convinced to go with the kifaru Reckoning, Aron even gave me his cell phone number to talk about it, which says a lot for him I think. I keep circling back to the simplicity of the exo 5500. I have no experience with a pack. 2017 will be my first backpack hunting trip. I hear the twist or articulating in the exo pack frame makes a noticable difference in comfort. Has someone that has had both give feed back? I am sure they are both great packs from the reviews I have read, but would like to hear what you guys think.
Thanks

I owned both, hunted with, and packed loads with both the 2015 Exo and new Kifaru with Alum. stays. The Exo frame is better for day hunting and the Kifaru is the big load winner. I made my choice based on my intended use. This just my opinion on my use and experience.

jtw

WKR
i like the simplicity of the exo. have carried a few deer and a bear in mine. think 136 pounds has been my heaviest weight from the high country. i had a kifaru set up and it didnt work for me, was too much going on with it and i like a meat shelf. cant imagine not having one like the exo is set up. the reckoning looks good from kifaru though but no reason to switch for me. if it aint broke dont fix it kinda thing. there are things i would prefer on the exo but not a deal breaker. steve is a great guy and answers his phone for all questions i have ever had. customer service is top notch from my experience. good luck and enjoy your new pack......

The exo is more comfortable with lightweight vs the hunting frame. But the arrows are almost as twisty as the exo. And with the kifaru belt the ultralight is the most comfortable imo.

I'll add that I fell out of love with the Exo bags. Initially I loved the simplicity, but the lack of zippered storage was the main reason I sold it.

I think you cant go wrong with either honestly, as long as it's set up like you want. Both are solid packs. For the 'simplicity of the Exo' crowd - what was not simplistic enough about the Kifaru? I have an Argali and it's a fabric tube, basically a duffel bag on a frame unless I add in some pockets.... doesnt get much more simple than that.

I have been loving my Hunter frame and Argali set up with a few pockets that I sometimes remove depending on what I'm doing. It's been a great set up for me for both hauling elk quarters, mule deer, camp for a week and also in day hunt mode with not much but water, food and some clothes. I've also checked out the Exo packs, and would honestly love to try out their 3500 in the mountains. Maybe for next year if I find a good deal on the classifieds.

Backpacks are like boots in that fit varies for each person. Figure out what appeals to you and your style of hunting and purchase one to try out. If you don't like how it fits/feels....call them...all of them have good customer service and want to help. If you still are not happy with how it feels, send it back, they all have very good return policies. At the end of the day, only you can determine what will work for you.

Used both the k2 and newly acquired hunter duplex frames today on training hikes with 50 lbs of sand. I might not have the duplex set up perfect yet but the k2 honestly felt better with the weight. I felt more pressure from the belt and lumber pad on the duplex.

I don't think the kifaru packs are overly complex but I did before I had experience with high end packs. All the choices were overwhelming. Exo on the other hand you just have to figure out how big you want your bag to be.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am down close to charleston, probably 3 hours away. I appreciate your generosity.

I would be driving three hours if I were you, and buying him beer for letting you put hands on a couple thousand dollars worth of packs

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have an exo 5500 on k2 frame. Packed out camp and 45 pounds of meat. Worked well. I also have an exo 2000 on a new duplex frame. I just got the ladder and I'm running the grab it between the exo2000 and duplex. IMHO u can't beat the kifaru frame but i never pack more than 75 pounds and the exo works well. I love the exo packs but the one issue I had with them was the main compartment zipper was tough to operate. So much I tore the zipper handle. Luckily they have two zipper so the compartment. Kifaru zippers are better. I'm thinking about a woodsman or reckoning but not sure yet. Next year I'm moose hunting in ak and I will have my kifaru frame.....not sure what bag.

I've never had an issue with the zippers on my EXO. I like the Kifaru frames but they can keep all them damn strappy bags.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'll add that I fell out of love with the Exo bags. Initially I loved the simplicity, but the lack of zippered storage was the main reason I sold it.

Zippered storage? You mean you want more zippers? I get about as tired of zippers as I do straps.

TheCougar

WKR
I just got through this process. I ordered a Kifaru and Exo frame and the Exo 2000 and 5500 bags. First the easy part: the Exo bags are fantastic and I am happy that I went with them over the kifaru bags. Not knocking kifaru bags, but I think the Exo bags are very functional and the perfect blend of weight and durability. I plan on doing an extensive write up with pictures of the frames side by side. The bottom line is that I ended up going with the kifaru frame. The frames are more similar than I expected with two exceptions. The 26" kifaru frame is at least two inches taller than the Exo frame, which made the load lifters more effective. The contoured vertical stays of the kifaru frame also seem to give the impression of carrying the weight higher in the pack. I did not notice any difference in rotational flexibility between the two bags and I think guys make a big deal out of nothing on this. I did notice that because of the contoured stays on the kifaru, it is like strapping a curved board to your back and there is no room to arch your back (think bend over and touch your toes or hunching over and walking to keep a lower profile). Basically, when I put the two packs on, the Exo felt lighter, more ventilated, and had more mobility. The kifaru felt sturdier, less ventilated, and the load felt higher and more centered on my back and the load on my hips. It surprised me how similar the packs were, but how differently they felt. I really thought at the beginning that I would end up with the Exo frame, and I eventually may after trying the duplex out for a couple Seasons. Both packs are high quality and comfortable and Exo and Kifaru both have outstanding customer service. If you have the extra $30 to pay return shipping, get both and decide for yourself.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
How tall are you? Just curious in how you described the fit of the frame. Thanks. Great write up, looking forward to your full write up on these two.

I just got through this process. I ordered a Kifaru and Exo frame and the Exo 2000 and 5500 bags. First the easy part: the Exo bags are fantastic and I am happy that I went with them over the kifaru bags. Not knocking kifaru bags, but I think the Exo bags are very functional and the perfect blend of weight and durability. I plan on doing an extensive write up with pictures of the frames side by side. The bottom line is that I ended up going with the kifaru frame. The frames are more similar than I expected with two exceptions. The 26" kifaru frame is at least two inches taller than the Exo frame, which made the load lifters more effective. The contoured vertical stays of the kifaru frame also seem to give the impression of carrying the weight higher in the pack. I did not notice any difference in rotational flexibility between the two bags and I think guys make a big deal out of nothing on this. I did notice that because of the contoured stays on the kifaru, it is like strapping a curved board to your back and there is no room to arch your back (think bend over and touch your toes or hunching over and walking to keep a lower profile). Basically, when I put the two packs on, the Exo felt lighter, more ventilated, and had more mobility. The kifaru felt sturdier, less ventilated, and the load felt higher and more centered on my back and the load on my hips. It surprised me how similar the packs were, but how differently they felt. I really thought at the beginning that I would end up with the Exo frame, and I eventually may after trying the duplex out for a couple Seasons. Both packs are high quality and comfortable and Exo and Kifaru both have outstanding customer service. If you have the extra $30 to pay return shipping, get both and decide for yourself.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I believe the EXO frame is 25" from what Steve has said on his podcast

TheCougar

WKR
I am 6 feet tall. The kifaru frame is 26.75 inches tall, which explains the difference in height of the load lifters.