Exo or kifaru

Been following this thread as I'm also in the new pack market;

1. Can you get 5 day usage out of the EXO 3500 or is the 5500 needed? Let's be honest, once gear is packed in, your looking for a small agile daypack with capacity to haul an animal if needed.

2. Is the main difference between the EXO Bag and Kifaru Reckoning Bag just the front stretchy pocket on the EXO? ( excluding the lid )

3. Confused on some previous posts: Does either of these backs have a dedicated water bladder pouch?

4. I've also been looking at the Kifaru Timberline 2 bag; I fail to see the similarity between it and the EXO bag.... They are different bag styles (not including the meat shelf).

Thanks guys!

Not sure i can answer all your questions, defiantly not the best guy, but ill take a stab...

1. Yes you can get 5 days out of the EXO 3500, but this also depends on how you pack, if you bring the kitchen sink, then no.. If you bring what you need.. absolutely. You can probably go longer in the early season by just loading the loadshelf/crib up with a dry bag and putting all your food in that.

2. Well yes that is one difference, another is material, the exo utilizes Xpac material, along with codura. The Kifaru is more codura based, thus making it a little more rugged but the exo is pretty tough. Also the exo has the side that sinch at the top, the Reckoning is folded more flat when not in use. The Rekoning is a center zip too, the exo 3500/5500 have a side zip.. The kifaru has more Molly webbing to ad external pockets. The exo comes with a lid, you can add one to the kifaru.

3. Yes the Kifaru has a dedicated water pouch on the back of the bag between the frame. The exo does not but you can add their slurppy stalker bag with the tabs provided on the frame. On my 3500 i just hook the plastic lip on camelbak bags over the meat shelf load straps. Works fine, then i just move it to the stretchy pocket when i haul meat.

4. Timberline is way bigger.. its like the exo in design a little, but way bigger and way more robust.

Hope that helps

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Xpac is some tough fabric, I think you'd be hard pressed to wear it out before 500D cordura. Between those brands I don't think durability is going to be that big of a player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Xpac is also noisy and crinkly sounding. That and the buckles were my main complaint with EXO bags.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
3. I thought I heard Steve say on a podcast that the new 2016 bags do have a water bladder pouch. Is your 3500 a new version? I'm not questioning you, I would also like some clarification on this.

Not sure i can answer all your questions, defiantly not the best guy, but ill take a stab...

1. Yes you can get 5 days out of the EXO 3500, but this also depends on how you pack, if you bring the kitchen sink, then no.. If you bring what you need.. absolutely. You can probably go longer in the early season by just loading the loadshelf/crib up with a dry bag and putting all your food in that.

2. Well yes that is one difference, another is material, the exo utilizes Xpac material, along with codura. The Kifaru is more codura based, thus making it a little more rugged but the exo is pretty tough. Also the exo has the side that sinch at the top, the Reckoning is folded more flat when not in use. The Rekoning is a center zip too, the exo 3500/5500 have a side zip.. The kifaru has more Molly webbing to ad external pockets. The exo comes with a lid, you can add one to the kifaru.

3. Yes the Kifaru has a dedicated water pouch on the back of the bag between the frame. The exo does not but you can add their slurppy stalker bag with the tabs provided on the frame. On my 3500 i just hook the plastic lip on camelbak bags over the meat shelf load straps. Works fine, then i just move it to the stretchy pocket when i haul meat.

4. Timberline is way bigger.. its like the exo in design a little, but way bigger and way more robust.

Hope that helps

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wondering if they are going to add a water bladder pocket for 2017 Exo 3500 and 5500? In one of their last podcast Steve said that the frame is most likely going to stay the same for next year, but they were going to update a few things. I guess I'll just have to wait. Wait with a good amount of pay pal money just burning a hole in my account, secretly wanting to be spent on a new pack.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys!
Now that I have some answers, the decision is no easier! LOL

I feel your pain man. I keep flip flopping btw the MR, SO,EXO, and Kifaru systems.

I think a guy probably cant go wrong with any of the bags, they are all going to be high quality/durable, comfortable, and well thought out and there are elements of the bags from each company that I really like...uhhg.

Maybe its worth considering other aspects that are important ( or should be important ) to us as Hunters. Where are the bags made? what does the company give back to the hunting community? Customer service/dependability?

I'm gonna go Kifaru because I see that Aron dedicates a lot of his time helping new backpack hunters out (GB podcasts & more), the bags are made in the states by people who use them which is important to me even though im Canadian lol, and the dude openly puts his phone # on the web and advocates people calling him whenever,

I think this type of commitment deserves some type of loyalty or reciprocity.

anyways, idk if that helps but that's where I'm at lol,

GL

Mike.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I had the opportunity to try the new Karifu frame and EXO 500 pack/frame via member "Livetohuntelk".
He is a stand up guy.
Last night I played with the EXO 5500 followed by making a T-Account (for you bean counters) detailing the traits of both packs. 5500 vs Reckoning. Cost and weight are very close. Water bladder pouch and using a pocket on the bottom of the Reckoning for gun on front center are appealing to me right now. However, I really like the frame on the EXO as I've gotten to play with it vs just trying on the Karifu new frame.
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

ljalberta

WKR
Just want to make sure that you know the water bladder pouch on the Reckoning isn't a full on pouch, but a Velcro strap that holds it from swaying. And it's located outside the bag, against the frame. Some it seems have loved this while others have not. I have a Kifaru and have zero regrets, but the Exo looks like a slick design as well. Good luck!

Thanks for this info. I was unaware of this as I'm still researching. However, I do like having it outside the pack. Pain getting one inside a pack once it's loaded. :)

lkwoolsey

WKR
I've used tons of packs and Kifaru is the best I have ever used. I can load it up with more weight than my legs care to take, and the pack handles it great! I use the hunting frame with EMR II and the XTL lid (discontinued.) For me, it's the best setup in the world. Love everything about it. The hip belt is amazing and the frame doesn't flinch at super heavy weights.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk