Exo or kifaru

twall13

WKR
I am 6 feet tall. The kifaru frame is 26.75 inches tall, which explains the difference in height of the load lifters.
Thanks for measuring that. I've been debating on whether the 26" frame was long enough for me or if I needed to request one of the special 28" frames I've heard rumors about. It sound like the 26 should work.

TheCougar

WKR
I would not go any taller than 26'' unless you play in the NBA. I wasn't able to upload the picture, but I will post my review on Thursday and include it then.

twall13

WKR
Frame height really has more to do with torso length than how tall you are. I'm only 6'1" but I carry most of my height in my torso (nearly 22"). Some guys my height are built with all their length in their legs and have a much longer inseam than me so height isn't really a great gauge for which frame length you want unless you take all the factors into account (Kifaru does this). I own the 25" Exo frame and it doesn't have much of an angle on the load lifters. I wasn't sure an extra inch would get me where I wanted to be but if it's really closer to 2 inches I'm there.

I look forward to your photos when you post up your comparison.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Frame height really has more to do with torso length than how tall you are. I'm only 6'1" but I carry most of my height in my torso (nearly 22"). Some guys my height are built with all their length in their legs and have a much longer inseam than me so height isn't really a great gauge for which frame length you want unless you take all the factors into account (Kifaru does this). I own the 25" Exo frame and it doesn't have much of an angle on the load lifters. I wasn't sure an extra inch would get me where I wanted to be but if it's really closer to 2 inches I'm there.

I look forward to your photos when you post up your comparison.

Good insight. I am only 5'10" with a short torso, so just the opposite of you. Probably going to take someone else's advice and order both and try both companies out. Leaning towards the EXO for simplicity, and since I will most likely continue being an every other year Western hunter, I really won't be putting heavy loads to the test multiple times a year, every year.

jtw

WKR
I see people calling the EXO simple, but I don't really agree with that. What you get is a well designed bag with a set amount of organization (except the 2000, I did not care for it's design at all). Technically the 3500 and 5500 are very similar to the timberline series. If you like simple designs, go with an argali.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I see people calling the EXO simple, but I don't really agree with that. What you get is a well designed bag with a set amount of organization (except the 2000, I did not care for it's design at all). Technically the 3500 and 5500 are very similar to the timberline series. If you like simple designs, go with an argali.

I guess by simple I meant, not having to purchase extra pockets if you don't need to. I would agree that it is well designed and you wouldn't need to purchase any additional organization if you didn't want to.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I like the option of being able to change something later with the kifaru without buying a new frame. The only part holding back at the moment, is the Reckoning worth $275 more than the Exo. By the time I put belt pockets and guide lid on the Reckoning w/shipping it falls past $900. Choices, Choices....

I like the option of being able to change something later with the kifaru without buying a new frame. The only part holding back at the moment, is the Reckoning worth $275 more than the Exo. By the time I put belt pockets and guide lid on the Reckoning w/shipping it falls past $900. Choices, Choices....

This was the issues I had. The packs and frames are expensive enough, then I need to pay more for pockets that weren't what I was really after.

PJG

WKR
I wouldn't worry to much about pockets and a lid unless you already know exactly what you are going to put in them.

Other than the water bottle carriers I have yet to find anything I need to put into belt pouches that I can't get in the pockets on my pants.

As easy as the access is to the bag, I'm not too sure a lid wouldn't just get in the way.

I'd personally use the bag naked for awhile and then determine if the lid and pockets are absolutely necessary. Plus, anything added to the bag just adds extra weight. It's all a trade off.

TFP

FNG
This. It's really easy to "might as well since I'm already ordering" yourself into a couple hundred dollars and a couple of pounds of pockets that may be completely unnecessary.

I wouldn't worry to much about pockets and a lid unless you already know exactly what you are going to put in them.

Other than the water bottle carriers I have yet to find anything I need to put into belt pouches that I can't get in the pockets on my pants.

As easy as the access is to the bag, I'm not too sure a lid wouldn't just get in the way.

I'd personally use the bag naked for awhile and then determine if the lid and pockets are absolutely necessary. Plus, anything added to the bag just adds extra weight. It's all a trade off.

agree with above
pockets are what make the decision difficult, i have a bunch of pouches and usually only use one.
if it were me i would order one belt pouch for the belt (small)
thats it, anything after that determine if you even need later.
i would also watch for used, lots of great deals on here...

Xtreme007

WKR
I'm not to far charleston, I live in paintsville KY. I am usually at in Huntington pretty often. I have owned both packs and like other have said you can't go wrong with either.

I have the new exo K2 frame with 5500 bag, 2000" daypack and horn hauler. Get up with me and maybe you could meet me around Huntington and check them out sometime.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not to far charleston, I live in paintsville KY. I am usually at in Huntington pretty often. I have owned both packs and like other have said you can't go wrong with either.

I have the new exo K2 frame with 5500 bag, 2000" daypack and horn hauler. Get up with me and maybe you could meet me around Huntington and check them out sometime.

That would be great!

mtnbound

FNG
I bought a EXO 3500 last year and although it was a nice pack it didn't quite fit me right. I had a hard time getting into the side stretchy pockets when the pack was on and the single side zipper didn't really make it easier to get gear in or out of the pack. I then ordered a Kifaru frame and Mountain Rambler pack and I really like the combination and the frame is great at carrying loads. I like the Molle style hip belt on the Kifaru for attaching pockets, holsters etc... This year i picked up a Kifaru Nomad and it is simply incredible at its versatility. I like the idea of a load/meat shelf of the 3500 and the Rambler but with the Nomad the overall load is closer to your back. I have carried several 70-80lb loads with the Rambler and this year I packed out a bone in rear and front quarter in one trip with the Nomad to see how it would work and I'm sold on the Kifaru frame with the Nomad. Both companies are great so buy both and see what works for you.

DEHusker

WKR
I've used both extensively. The kifaru frame is beefier but more uncomfortable and doesn't move with your body nearly as well. Plus, it's much hotter on my back. The Exo is far more comfortable and unless you are carrying more than 150lbs, I'm not sure the load carry differences are all that much between the two. More than 150lbs, I'd probably opt for the kifaru but I'd pay a price.

I've never been crazy about Kifaru bags. They are somehow too simple but too complicated at the same time. You are forced to buy a base bag and then find some kind of configuration for lids, pockets, pouches, straps, bottle holders, etc. The PALS webbing on the belt is nice but, IMO, not as versatile as a plain strap ie Exo or Kuiu (esp for pistol holsters or bear spray holsters).

Anyone else notice that the new "Reckoning" bag is basically a straight rip off of Exo's bags minus the stretchy large back pocket? Kifaru saw that Exo's bag was selling due to it's design and simplicity. If you like kifaru's frame and bags but Exo's simplicity then maybe this is your solution. Packs are very very personal as far as fit and need usage so trying as many as possible (with weight) is the only way to know.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else notice that the new "Reckoning" bag is basically a straight rip off of Exo's bags minus the stretchy large back pocket? Kifaru saw that Exo's bag was selling due to it's design and simplicity. If you like kifaru's frame and bags but Exo's simplicity then maybe this is your solution. Packs are very very personal as far as fit and need usage so trying as many as possible (with weight) is the only way to know.

I did, just didnt want to say it. EXO found the sweet spot in the market for bag design and price. Its everything you need and nothing you don't. Its also visually appealing, you dont look like you have a cardboard box strapped to your back with smaller cardboard boxes slapped on the side of it for storage. I will be the first to admit looks dont kill animals so dont get me wrong. Kifaru is the tank of all packs but being honest 99% of us will never need all that Kifaru offers. Most of us carry out an elk and/or a deer a year if we are lucky and every pack here will do that with enough comfort.....even Kuiu. EXO found a corner of the market and nailed it and now others will be copying them for a bit....good for them. Competition is only ever good for us the consumer and no pack is the end all be all for everyone.

weaver

WKR
I've used both extensively. The kifaru frame is beefier but more uncomfortable and doesn't move with your body nearly as well. Plus, it's much hotter on my back. The Exo is far more comfortable and unless you are carrying more than 150lbs, I'm not sure the load carry differences are all that much between the two. More than 150lbs, I'd probably opt for the kifaru but I'd pay a price.

I've never been crazy about Kifaru bags. They are somehow too simple but too complicated at the same time. You are forced to buy a base bag and then find some kind of configuration for lids, pockets, pouches, straps, bottle holders, etc. The PALS webbing on the belt is nice but, IMO, not as versatile as a plain strap ie Exo or Kuiu (esp for pistol holsters or bear spray holsters).

Really, a straight rip off? The only similarities I see are the side pockets and center zip, all things Kifaru has done before.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Hardly a rip off, center zip which opens the pack fully vs a side zip offering interior access to the pack, but I'd invite anyone to pack an exo pack via the side zip and see how "similar" the experience is.

Integrated lid is also very different, the only real similarity is the side pockets and they are common to so many pack companies such as Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock to name a few.

The Reckoning and the Exo are both great packs but to say that the Reckoning is a direct rip off is a stretch to say the least...

LostArra

WKR
>>The Reckoning and the Exo are both great packs but to say that the Reckoning is a direct rip off is a stretch to say the least...<<

I agree. There are only so many ways to sew cordura and get stuff into and out of a pack bag (top, front or side). They all look similar. It's just the organization features that might separate them for a particular individual's use.

Same with frames. They all have belts and shoulder straps. How it feels is an individual thing.