Exo or kifaru

DEHusker

WKR
Really, a straight rip off? The only similarities I see are the side pockets and center zip, all things Kifaru has done before.

Oh come on...The center vs side zip is trivial. The zip open feature is not for packing, it's for retrieval of something in the field from the bottom of the pack, ie jacket or snack.

Also, Kifaru copied the compression strap design pretty closely. This has always been the bane of Kifaru packs - their strap overload. Exo nailed it, Kifaru copied it. Pretty simple.

The actual bag is virtually identical without the center stretchy. Two long side pockets, check. Roll down closure for expansion, check. Zip open main body with "zoned" compression, check. Adjustable straps on the daisy chain for the lid closure, check. Meat shelf (something Kifaru pretty much loathes), check. Although the side pockets and lids must be purchased extra for the Kifaru.

I'm not a Kifaru hater...just the opposite, actually. I've had/have a lot of their bags/frames. It's primo stuff. I am, however, a realist. It's a very close copy...

Last edited:

PJG

WKR
Not trying to start an argument, but....when Kifaru developed the K clip it opened up endless possibilities of strap management. If they truly believed the Exo compression system was that superior they would have "copied" it a long time ago. Rather, with the development of the k clip they are able to move, adjust, and test the not only the number of but also the placement of the compression straps without having to sew them on. More trial and error is performed on these packs rather than simply using the same layout as another pack.

DEHusker

WKR
Not trying to start an argument, but....when Kifaru developed the K clip it opened up endless possibilities of strap management. If they truly believed the Exo compression system was that superior they would have "copied" it a long time ago. Rather, with the development of the k clip they are able to move, adjust, and test the not only the number of but also the placement of the compression straps without having to sew them on. More trial and error is performed on these packs rather than simply using the same layout as another pack.

The K clip is an adjustability feature and an ingenious design. It has nothing to do with Exo's compression system. Nobody will admit it publicly, but I would bet that the Reckoning is a direct response to Exo's packs from Kifaru. You see a ton of Exo bags on Kifaru frames.....Patrick prob doesn't like that all that much!! LOL

This isn't an argument, only a friendly debate. We as consumers benefit from companies pushing each other to make better products. I do not think Exo nor Kifaru is a superior bag because I cannot make that judgement for anyone. It's like saying Kenetrek boots are the best....well they may be for me but not for you. Most of these pack makers are so good these days because of people like Patrick Smith and Dana Gleason. People who pushed the envelope of comfort, usability, and design. We need to thank them for allowing us have have the best equipment in the world.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I've used both extensively. The kifaru frame is beefier but more uncomfortable and doesn't move with your body nearly as well. Plus, it's much hotter on my back. The Exo is far more comfortable and unless you are carrying more than 150lbs, I'm not sure the load carry differences are all that much between the two. More than 150lbs, I'd probably opt for the kifaru but I'd pay a price.

I've never been crazy about Kifaru bags. They are somehow too simple but too complicated at the same time. You are forced to buy a base bag and then find some kind of configuration for lids, pockets, pouches, straps, bottle holders, etc. The PALS webbing on the belt is nice but, IMO, not as versatile as a plain strap ie Exo or Kuiu (esp for pistol holsters or bear spray holsters).

Anyone else notice that the new "Reckoning" bag is basically a straight rip off of Exo's bags minus the stretchy large back pocket? Kifaru saw that Exo's bag was selling due to it's design and simplicity. If you like kifaru's frame and bags but Exo's simplicity then maybe this is your solution. Packs are very very personal as far as fit and need usage so trying as many as possible (with weight) is the only way to know.

Ever notice how the EXO bags are a direct rip off of the Kifaru Timberline? Side slot pockets, back pocket and even a hydration port hole in the bag. Heck EXO even ripped of the idea of a three piece belt.

Common man, only so many ways to make a bag. About the only unique thing about an EXO is the hook and loop strips for their mesh pockets. I mean Seek Outside pretty much came out with the frame stays design prior to EXO, EXO just made them out of titanium. Also Stone Glacier had a center zip before EXO as well.

Oh come on...The center vs side zip is trivial. The zip open feature is not for packing, it's for retrieval of something in the field from the bottom of the pack, ie jacket or snack.

Also, Kifaru copied the compression strap design pretty closely. This has always been the bane of Kifaru packs - their strap overload. Exo nailed it, Kifaru copied it. Pretty simple.

The actual bag is virtually identical without the center stretchy. Two long side pockets, check. Roll down closure for expansion, check. Zip open main body with "zoned" compression, check. Adjustable straps on the daisy chain for the lid closure, check. Meat shelf (something Kifaru pretty much loathes), check. Although the side pockets and lids must be purchased extra for the Kifaru.

I'm not a Kifaru hater...just the opposite, actually. I've had/have a lot of their bags/frames. It's primo stuff. I am, however, a realist. It's a very close copy...

I saw them make a pretty big deal about this on that GB Podcsast and I instantly thought "my Exo had that and so does my Kuiu". And I do own a Kifaru.

derland

FNG
If you're looking for simplicity, check out the bags in the rhino den on the kifaru website. Doesn't get more simple than those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derland

FNG
Never used an exo. I've used a mystery ranch, kifaru and kuiu. One of those was complete and total junk. It was comfortable with 40 pounds in it, but how uncomfortable can 40 pounds be?

I'd rather be as uncomfortable as possible with a 40 pound pack if that translates into being as comfortable as possible with a 100 pound pack. 2 of those packs were off the charts more comfortable with the 100 pounds compared to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c5mrr270

WKR

If you want to talk "rip offs" look at the mystery ranch Metcalf. Looks to me like Exo copied their compression strap pattern almost exactly, not to mention the meat shelf and side zip.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I was wanting some opinions and differences, I appreciate everyone's experience. Hopefully most of this post will help someone else that was in the same situation, looking for a new pack. I ended up ordering the Reckoning for a couple small reasons, but probably would have been happy with the exo.

MattB

WKR

Kifaru had a lot of those features on packs/bags that pre-date EXO (long side pockets, adjustable roll down closure, zoned compression - and add to that the 3 pc. belt). Chronology may not be on your side in terms of who copied whom.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What Matt mentioned above is true and very easy to find out with a little help from Google.

Most of the packs on the market are great, but ALL OF THEM, including Kifaru, have something similar to a current design of another company (current or older models).

If you look at the Reckoning, it's a EMRII/Timberline/Argali hybrid. It has a center zipper like the EMRII, slot pockets like the Timberline and a foldable lid like the Argali. Now, all of the options from those three packs have been on Kifaru packs before (long before some of the companies mentioned were even in business.

Just about anything on the market today (for the most part) has come from something Dana Gleason or Patrick Smith had already done in the last 40 years. Both of them started building packs in the late 70's and if you dig through the history of those companies, you'll find some pretty amazing stuff from both of them.

Patrick has retired now (for the most part) and doesn't get involved much, but we do have all of the newer companies packs in the Kifaru headquarters and to say that "Kifaru copied Exo" would be a stretch. The is not to say that Exo is a bad pack or that they copied anything Kifaru has done, but as I mentioned before, Kifaru and Mystery Ranch have been in business since the late 70's and there's not much both companies/men have not done.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to contact me at anytime with questions (720-937-1418)

Kifaru had a lot of those features on packs/bags that pre-date EXO (long side pockets, adjustable roll down closure, zoned compression - and add to that the 3 pc. belt). Chronology may not be on your side in terms of who copied whom.

Last edited:

excaliber

WKR
I'm also looking for a larger backpack right now. I've worn a Kifaru pack and I've seen the EXO 3500 up close and personal and I like the 3500 bag much better than anything Kifaru makes. You'd think Kifaru would make a bag with useful pockets like the EXO packs. Maybe they have a new pack out but I've yet to see one I like. There are couple things I don't like about the EXO pack like no dedicated water bladder pocket.

IMHO I think Kifaru is more of a backpacking stuff everything inside pack than a well thought out hunting pack.

This is likely why you see so many people put the EXO bag on the Kifaru frames. The EXO 3500 is very close to the perfect Hunting pack.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also looking for a larger backpack right now. I've worn a Kifaru pack and I've seen the EXO 3500 up close and personal and I like the 3500 bag much better than anything Kifaru makes. You'd think Kifaru would make a bag with useful pockets like the EXO packs. Maybe they have a new pack out but I've yet to see one I like. There are couple things I don't like about the EXO pack like no dedicated water bladder pocket.

IMHO I think Kifaru is more of a backpacking stuff everything inside pack than a well thought out hunting pack.

This is likely why you see so many people put the EXO bag on the Kifaru frames. The EXO 3500 is very close to the perfect Hunting pack.

I could be wrong, but I thought the new 2016, 3500 and 5500 bag do have a water bladder pocket in them.

MattB

WKR

This may come off as a dumb question, but what do you mean by "useful pockets"?

dotman

WKR

Interesting, I've had an EXO 3500 & 2k and many Kifaru bags, the EXO 3500 & 5500 are pretty much a Kifaru Timberline T2 & T1 when you really look at the features. My favorite EXO is the 2k, but currently my favorite bag is a Kifaru Mountain Warrior which is basically a much larger EXo 2k. Not sure what you mean by useful pockets unless you are looking at a basic bag like a Argali etc.

Been following this thread as I'm also in the new pack market;

1. Can you get 5 day usage out of the EXO 3500 or is the 5500 needed? Let's be honest, once gear is packed in, your looking for a small agile daypack with capacity to haul an animal if needed.

2. Is the main difference between the EXO Bag and Kifaru Reckoning Bag just the front stretchy pocket on the EXO? ( excluding the lid )

3. Confused on some previous posts: Does either of these backs have a dedicated water bladder pouch?

4. I've also been looking at the Kifaru Timberline 2 bag; I fail to see the similarity between it and the EXO bag.... They are different bag styles (not including the meat shelf).

Thanks guys!

Does anyone have the weight of the k2 frame? Want to compare it to the duplex hunting and ultralight but didn't see it on exo'so sight.